• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bye bye Sterlin!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Can we still run up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs and then throw an incomplete vertical pass on 3rd and 8 with a new OC?  Time will tell...

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

I am not.  USF was planning to ax him after the signing period CCS did a professional courtesy and let him know he should be "Looking for advancement/other opportunities".    I trust where I got this info.   You're just saying what you think.   USF was not going to intentionally hurt itself on the trail and CCS wanted to do right by one of his guys.  There is no backtrack here.   USF was not going to FIRE him before the period as that only causes issues.  They gave Gilbert the opportunity to choose his fate with no guarantee he would find another job.   USF was NEVER going to fire him before the signing period....  But please, carry on.  

My only issue with this line of thinking is that it assumes that Gilbert would not have taken the Mcneese job had he had an outstanding year as OC?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, JTrue said:

No one before or after can equal that Prince when it comes to flair.

I mean when you are writing someone that can easily have you killed and explaining to them why they can’t behave in certain ways because they are not as remarkable as previous leaders you have some flair, maybe not on par with assless pants but it’s close.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It comes from The Prince 

Ahh. puc86 your an interesting cerebral kinda guy.  

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

an outstanding year as OC?

This would change everything. For example, if we he had done a great job as OC, Strong might have taken the Louisville job and we would have wanted him to take over. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Except.... what if no one hires him which was equally probable. Then do you pull the trigger based on other’s inaction? At what point is it calculated safe to freely act as you don’t believe anyone will be acting for you? Does that not limit your options moving forward? 

Yes, you do pull the trigger.  The inaction was made on behalf of being good to one of your guys.   USF had already accepted he would be gone one way or another.  If he left on his own that was just a bonus that got you out of buyout $$$.   As for limiting options.... Expect to see a ton more of the normal coaching musical chairs after the early signing day.   Most schools will sign 50% or better of their recruiting classes during the early period.  Teams will not rock the boat too much with coordinators etc because of this.   HC coaches are a different beast as you're gutting things completely.....  

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

5 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Then he needs to recruit better linemen for both the offense and defense.   It starts there and that is where we were weak. 

Well he is currently 1 and 1/2 recruiting class in. (I dont count the 1st one) We gotta give them boys time to grow and develop. 

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

:yeahbaby:

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

5 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

My only issue with this line of thinking is that it assumes that Gilbert would not have taken the Mcneese job had he had an outstanding year as OC?

No he wouldn't have. An outstanding year would have had him taking a job at a bigger school as an OC or as a G5 head coach.