• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bye bye Sterlin!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, The Sheriff said:

Funny everyone blames Gilbert. Prior to going under Strong's helm, Gilbert's offenses were consistently among the best in the nation (minus one season where he was a co-OC and his team finished 41st in the nation under a backup QB). Furthermore, the high school coaches in Texas are extremely talented. He was considered among the best. Everyone got their wish and Gilbert is gone... I don't believe Gilbert is the problem though. I guess we'll find out if our offense looks similar next season - kinda points the finger back at Strong. Best wishes Sterlin at McNeese State. I hope you resurrect your offense (and your image) and land your dream job as a HC in Texas. Looking forward to seeing what King can do if given the opportunity. If not King, who?

That's the big worry. That the rot is at the top. It's a feasible conjecture.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just now, chapelbull said:

I never advocated for him being fired or not fired.  You said he couldn't be fired until after the ESD because it would hurt recruiting for him not to be on the trail and I questioned that mentality.  Now he was "conspicuously absent" and they were waiting for him to get another job.  You've backtracked, but please carry on.

What I said is the reason why he was not fired.   He was nudged to start looking as a courtesy.   Just because he isn't in pics doesn't mean he's not recruiting just something to make note of.  USF was never going to fire him before ESD for the reasons I gave.   I got this info from somebody i trust...   Again my stance was USF WILL NEVER FIRE HIM BEFORE EARLY SIGNING DAY.  I have never moved off of that Island.   You were dead wrong, move along little buddy....   

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683

10 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Truth be told....who was Gilbert recruiting? I can't remember the last recruiting update that involved him. I dont think recruiting had anything to do with it. I think CCS just wanted Gilbert to leave on his own. 

I think this the most logical assumption.  It saves the school money (AD comments about being financial responsible, etc.) and it allows Gilbert to look better in the long run.  Win/win for everyone and best course of action

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

I think this the most logical assumption.  It saves the school money (AD comments about being financial responsible, etc.) and it allows Gilbert to look better in the long run.  Win/win for everyone and best course of action

We got rid of gilbert and didnt have to pay him a dime! I love it!

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,030
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

Yes it was good.  Now let's freaking change things up next season.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

You were dead wrong, move along little buddy....   

I wasn't "wrong" at all.  If I was you wouldn't need all the condescending insults in your posts nor a paragraph every time you respond ....

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Funny everyone blames Gilbert. Prior to going under Strong's helm, Gilbert's offenses were consistently among the best in the nation (minus one season where he was a co-OC and his team finished 41st in the nation under a backup QB). Furthermore, the high school coaches in Texas are extremely talented. He was considered among the best. Everyone got their wish and Gilbert is gone... I don't believe Gilbert is the problem though. I guess we'll find out if our offense looks similar next season - kinda points the finger back at Strong. Best wishes Sterlin at McNeese State. I hope you resurrect your offense (and your image) and land your dream job as a HC in Texas. Looking forward to seeing what King can do if given the opportunity. If not King, who?

Gilbert did not take over full time play calling until he got to UT.  Before that Babers and Montgomery called the plays in those offenses.  He rode their coat tails to that job. His track record as a full time play calling OC is 3 years.   Those other years he was OC in name.... 

I wasn't "wrong" at all.  If I was you wouldn't need all the condescending insults in your posts nor a paragraph every time you respond ....

I'm an ******* so chances are you'll get those comments in all kind of situations.  Whatever you need to sleep at night tho

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  21
  • Days Won:  0

42 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Forgive me if I wait for another source.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/12/05/report-usfs-sterlin-gilbert-headed-to-mcneese-state/ 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,030
  • Days Won:  38

8 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

That's the big worry. That the rot is at the top. It's a feasible conjecture.

Exactly.  It remains to be seen.  However Charlie did basically say he doesn't call the plays after one of the losses.  If he is hands off, maybe he can shake up his philosophy.  I think some more experience on the defensive side of the ball will come along, but we need more wrinkles on offense.  

Red Zone was also a particular concern at the end of the year.  No creativity, just run up the middle and kick a FG or turn it over.  Think of how quickly this stuff could turn around.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

As with most coaching changes we've experienced, I'm both consoled and concerned. Hope the "next" guy brings a solid OL coach, and hope he knows how to tailor the offense around player strengths instead of some well-planned formula that has limited application here.