• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bye bye Sterlin!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

Pretty sure these guys don't take days off especially since the dark period is shortly after early signing day (at least if my memory is working today. Always a chance it isn't).  The coaches I've spoken with re: recruiting make it seem like it a non stop effort and certain times of the year.  Now if we were recruiting someone in Louisiana..........  

That was going to be my other solution. Find random kid in Louisiana, say he is the keystone to bringing your offense together. See kid, meet with McNeese, fly back. But I know some folks on here are sensitive to the thought of a coach perhaps living in other truths.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

40 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Funny everyone blames Gilbert. Prior to going under Strong's helm, Gilbert's offenses were consistently among the best in the nation (minus one season where he was a co-OC and his team finished 41st in the nation under a backup QB). Furthermore, the high school coaches in Texas are extremely talented. He was considered among the best. Everyone got their wish and Gilbert is gone... I don't believe Gilbert is the problem though. I guess we'll find out if our offense looks similar next season - kinda points the finger back at Strong. Best wishes Sterlin at McNeese State. I hope you resurrect your offense (and your image) and land your dream job as a HC in Texas. Looking forward to seeing what King can do if given the opportunity. If not King, who?

Good points, but at this point the fan base had pointed him out as the issue. I 100% believe they were waiting to see if another job panned out for him before firing him. I don't have a reason to believe in Mike Kelly yet, but I feel like Strong knows that if he comes back with the same product on the field next year, he'll definitely be the one on the block.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,461
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

I agree that the new hire is as important as getting rid of SG. To the point of him serving his master....unless CCS told him not to watch any film on the most explosive offense in program history, I have my relative doubts on this theory

I hope so too, but Charlie has said on numerous occasions our offense moved faster than he preferred and wanted to slow it down. I am glad SG is gone, but evidence points that he may have been taking orders from above.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

I hope so too, but Charlie has said on numerous occasions our offense moved faster than he preferred and wanted to slow it down. I am glad SG is gone, but evidence points that he may have been taking orders from above.

I see your point. That quote still makes me laugh. 

I don’t believe this move is a fix all given the conservative mentality in game/clock management, but I do think the new OC will have more flexibility in running the show on their side of the ball

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,047
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

The defense is improving, so if we were protecting them, I don't think that's necessary now.  Let's go USFast (irony).

I hope the new offensive coordinator has more than 5 plays in the book and tailors the offense to our strengths.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Bulliez said:

Well I think the obvious move is promoting Shaun King to OC. But yes we'll have to fill the gap created

Why is it obvious to promote Shaun King. He has no playcalling experience. It could be a good move, but he will be learning that job on the job. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

49 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Funny everyone blames Gilbert. Prior to going under Strong's helm, Gilbert's offenses were consistently among the best in the nation (minus one season where he was a co-OC and his team finished 41st in the nation under a backup QB). Furthermore, the high school coaches in Texas are extremely talented. He was considered among the best. Everyone got their wish and Gilbert is gone... I don't believe Gilbert is the problem though. I guess we'll find out if our offense looks similar next season - kinda points the finger back at Strong. Best wishes Sterlin at McNeese State. I hope you resurrect your offense (and your image) and land your dream job as a HC in Texas. Looking forward to seeing what King can do if given the opportunity. If not King, who?

Dino Babers & Phillip Montgomery. Sterlin was a muppet 

1 minute ago, usfgrad84 said:

Why is it obvious to promote Shaun King. He has no playcalling experience. It could be a good move, but he will be learning that job on the job. 

I think he may be heading to FSU.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

8 minutes ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

our offense was up tempo, this evidence points towards the OC going against the HC's wishes.