• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bye bye Sterlin!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

My only issue with this line of thinking is that it assumes that Gilbert would not have taken the Mcneese job had he had an outstanding year as OC?

If he had an outstanding year as an OC he still may have.  There are unsubstantiated rumors that he's never been happy here....   He also did want to climb the ladder.  I Think if we had a ultra productive offense the only thing that chances is the caliber of job he would have tried to seek out.  Then again if our offense was elite we may have had a different year all together and might be trying to replace an entire staff and not just an OC.  Lots of variables at work there... 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

16 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Geeezzz, I went to bathroom to take a Sterlin only to come back to see that he gone...

Ok NEB, I hope you were referring to Gilbert??? Makes me nervous. My name is Stirling. Same but with a Scottish twist..??? 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

8 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I am not.  USF was planning to ax him after the signing period CCS did a professional courtesy and let him know he should be "Looking for advancement/other opportunities".    I trust where I got this info.   You're just saying what you think.   USF was not going to intentionally hurt itself on the trail and CCS wanted to do right by one of his guys.  There is no backtrack here.   USF was not going to FIRE him before the period as that only causes issues.  They gave Gilbert the opportunity to choose his fate with no guarantee he would find another job.   USF was NEVER going to fire him before the signing period....  But please, carry on.  

Truth be told....who was Gilbert recruiting? I can't remember the last recruiting update that involved him. I dont think recruiting had anything to do with it. I think CCS just wanted Gilbert to leave on his own. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

This should be proclaimed a national holiday..."Sterling saves USF day"

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

28 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

The next hire will be critical. Joke’s on us if Strong hires a Gilbert clone to be OC.

Actually, we do.  Gilbert ran an up tempo spread.  He just was a poor play caller.  But this same exact offense has Syracuse of all places in the top 25, so it's not the offensive philosophy that's the problem.  What we don't want is Strong to bring in someone to run a Pro Style, slow down, power run game set.  That would be even worse than SG.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,012
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, bullsonparade said:

This should be proclaimed a national holiday..."Sterling saves USF day"

It's not saved yet...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Yes, you do pull the trigger.  The inaction was made on behalf of being good to one of your guys.   USF had already accepted he would be gone one way or another.  If he left on his own that was just a bonus that got you out of buyout $$$.   As for limiting options.... Expect to see a ton more of the normal coaching musical chairs after the early signing day.   Most schools will sign 50% or better of their recruiting classes during the early period.  Teams will not rock the boat too much with coordinators etc because of this.   HC coaches are a different beast as you're gutting things completely.....  

If it’s 💯 that we made an actual decision and that decision had a calculation that led us to determine a specific date for action I would applaud us. I unfortunately believe we tend to more reactive than proactive but I’m sure we are discussing the one time we made an actual plan, stuck to it and it paid off handsomely.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,012
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, BullsFanInTX said:

What we don't want is Strong to bring in someone to run a Pro Style, slow down, power run game set.  That would be even worse than SG.

That's a scary thought.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Ok NEB, I hope you were referring to Gilbert??? Makes me nervous. My name is Stirling. Same but with a Scottish twist..??? 

I would never bad mouth a fellow Scott...My  Ogilvie Clan would cut me...

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just now, puc86 said:

If it’s 💯 that we made an actual decision and that decision had a calculation that led us to determine a specific date for action I would applaud us. I unfortunately believe we tend to more reactive than proactive but I’m sure we are discussing the one time we made an actual plan, stuck to it and it paid off handsomely.

New boss isn't the same as the old boss