• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Flowers is the better runner so if they truly are going to run the QB 12-15 times per game it makes sense.

I also like having a senior back-up who could (and probably will) come into games when we have a big deficit where we need to pass the ball more.

personally I don't think it matters that much who they named as starter. they both will get playing time in different situations.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Hopefully Flowers can be our Nick Marshall:

Hopefully he can be Quinton Flowers from Miami Jackson and make plays with his feet and occasionally find open receivers.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Comparing these two off of past games is a waste of time.

1st -  the O-line was HORRIBLE last year

2nd - the offensive scheme was HORRIBLE last year

3rd - the wr's were HORRIBLE last year

4th - the qb's were HORRIBLE last year

IF we are going to be successful this year the O-line has got to play MUCH BETTER.  

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I expected this, Flowers is the best fit for this offense if its going to look anything like what Manatee ran under JK.  Best choice to start the year and see how he does. If he can't be consistent against FAMU then it may not take more then a half to make a change. 

I don't think it has anything to do with who may or may not be the "best" fit if you're attempting to compare how JK coached at Manatee.

I think it has more to do with CWT feeling as if QF gives up the best chance at winning more games, period.

Manatee did't always have a mobile QB but ran the stame style of offense. If you can make the right play calls for whomever takes the snap, that's really all that matters.

JK had a kid by the name of Ryan Rubino and he wasn't the biggest or the fastest kid. His arm was decent and Manatee still won games because he had a great back that could run the ball.

CWT must know his payer's abilities and use them to his advantage like JK did and will help CWT at getting better doing.

I think we have a pretty good year if we can just limit turn overs and force them on the other end.

Florida speed will be fun to watch again.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Taggart will sink or swim off this decision. Hopefully it works out but we most likely won't see too many passes and we better hope we don't get in a huge hole or we won't get out of it. If we do not make a bowl game but beat ucf does Taggart get another year

There is no set number of victories set as a goal. A lot will depend on whether we show improvement.

I tend to think to secure another season he has to go 6-6 or better. 5-7 becomes a toss up and if he loses to ucf it better not be a shutout or he's gone. If he keeps it close he might be brought back but on year 4 he would have to get to a bowl or he's gone

• Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

In two weeks we'll revisit this because I believe Quinton Flowers is about to go ham.  It's all about him now and I think he's going to rise to the occasion.  We're right on schedule. 

This.

This offense is made for a guy like Flowers. He'll get it done, Coach T and JK stick around for quite awhile, and the program is restored. The crazy thing is bench can run this offense as well! We are in way better shape then people think. This program was built on guys like Flowers. Taggs promised him a shot at QB and here it is. Not many gave him a shot and that maybe what helps him become a star. Us against the world again baby!! 

So, why in your previous statement did you say that QF was a better fit?

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

Taggart will sink or swim off this decision. Hopefully it works out but we most likely won't see too many passes and we better hope we don't get in a huge hole or we won't get out of it. If we do not make a bowl game but beat ucf does Taggart get another year

There is no set number of victories set as a goal. A lot will depend on whether we show improvement.

I tend to think to secure another season he has to go 6-6 or better. 5-7 becomes a toss up and if he loses to ucf it better not be a shutout or he's gone. If he keeps it close he might be brought back but on year 4 he would have to get to a bowl or he's gone

How many coaches will we have on the payroll if they let him go after this year?  (I honestly don't know.)

I think they have to show improvement and not look over his head out there.  

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

There is no set number of victories set as a goal.  A lot will depend on whether we show improvement.

That was my thought. I think if we start slow, but he sticks with QF (yet to see see if that'll happen) and we get better as the season goes and close with momentum and beat UCF, I could see Taggart coming back even with 5 wins with momentum rolling for 2016.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

This is no big deal - this has been the story the past two seasons.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

USF Head Coach Willie Taggart has named sophomore Quinton Flowers (Miami) the Bulls’ starting quarterback for the season opener Sept. 5 vs. Florida A&M. That game kicks off at 7:00 p.m. in Raymond James Stadium and will be broadcast live on ESPN3 and the USF/IMG radio network.

Tells me what I thought all along. No QB has been good enough to be named the starter. I hope we don't start this week to week nonsense. QF will get his shot to play QB; however, I doubt we will learn much from the FAMU game.

Why dont you think we will learn much? I feel like we only have had glimpses during training camp. I think in a game situation we should be able to see if QF has progressed from last year. I also don't want to see a repeat of last year where CWT stuck with MW even when it was clear he needed to sit.