• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I'm not sure how I feel about this... there is just too much of an unknown here... I'll root my ass off for the kid, but I'm just concerned about his passing skills...

That's pretty much where I'm at. Best case scenario is between his legs and Mack, the defense has to give him some wiggle room to throw the ball and he can give us a few plays here and there. Worst case scenario, they dare him to throw and it looks like we're all praying it doesn't.

I'm not writing off this season by any stretch, but I'm intrigued going into 2016 with a QB battle with (hopefully) a season under QF's belt to mature. I know some will disagree, but AW is light years ahead of Flowers, even in the best case scenario, throwing the ball. QF better have some serious running ability.

I can't argue too differently... the one thing wild card is the kids legs.  If he becomes a serious run threat that can just hit a few passes, in this spread it will open up some huge running lanes for Mack, Johnson, and Tice.   I also think his mobility helps the offensive line because the defense now HAVE to stay in their lanes.  They can't just blindly rush everyone knowing the kid is a really good runner... Like they did to Mike White.  

Edited by Calibull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,954
  • Days Won:  12

Bench gives best shot to win now. AW is starter in 2016. Not a fan of the decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

Hopefully QF makes some great plays

3rd and up to 5, we're going to be fine.

3rd and 6 and beyond, it's going to be dicey.

But let's give QF a chance and see what happens. Last year doesn't count; he didn't get a fair shot.

The good thing is that we know what we have in Bench. My gut tells me Bench is going to start later on, keep the job, and will take us to a bowl game.

Why? Bench is better suited to convert 3rd and 6 and beyond... Well, let's rephrase that. He has a higher percentage of completing them for yards.

You're assuming 3rd and long = pass.  It might equal pass play - but QF is a better scrambler, and he will pick up some of those 1st downs with his legs.

Bench threw more INTs during camp... so if 3rd and long = pass... QF has a better chance of getting to 4th down, Bench has a better chance of throwing a pick.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Queue the Bench brigade and their whining and grudge conspiracy theories

Wwwwaaaa...its clear SB is talking about CWT's mama...man can he hold a grudge....back to the dog house...etc etc

;-)

Not surprising, but I still expect that we will see both play significant amounts this year. Flowers is a horrific passer and CWT has shown no ability to develop players, so my expectations are low for him. As the inevitable losses pile up and CWT gets little from the position I expect we'll see a quarterback carousel.

If that transpires, and it's definitely possible, I'd expect Flowers to transfer out after the season with the new head coach annointing Woulard as the quarterback of the future.

CWT's inability to recruit and/or coach up a quarterback in 3 years will ultimately doom this season and end his career at USF.

Thanks for that ray of sunshine. I was kinda waiting for BH to say something like.

I am just happy they didn't wait until the very last minute to do this. I hope this sticks for a couple of weeks, how can we develop players with no consistency?

It is a real dilemma for Tags this year. If he leaves Q in no matter what to help him develop and we lose too many games, he is out of a job more than likely. One thought that crossed my mind is that if you start Q and things don't work out you have a Senior to fall back on. Reverse that scenario and how comfortable are bringing in the Soph? It is obvious that the coaches had no clear cut choice.

I think this is accurate. I dont know SB personally but I hope he doesnt get to discouraged and sticks with it. I got a feeling we are gonna need him sooner than later.

I think some of the conspiracy theories have legs. Tin foil hat engage. Just saying, I've heard some things.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

But let's give QF a chance and see what happens. Last year doesn't count; he didn't get a fair shot.

The good thing is that we know what we have in Bench. My gut tells me Bench is going to start later on, keep the job, and will take us to a bowl game.

Why? Bench is better suited to convert 3rd and 6 and beyond... Well, let's rephrase that. He has a higher percentage of completing them for yards.

You're assuming 3rd and long = pass.  It might equal pass play - but QF is a better scrambler, and he will pick up some of those 1st downs with his legs.

Bench threw more INTs during camp... so if 3rd and long = pass... QF has a better chance of getting to 4th down, Bench has a better chance of throwing a pick.

But Bench also has the better chance of throwing a TD pass if we're going by camp stats.

Can't wait for the media questions

You're assuming 3rd and long = pass. It might equal pass play - but QF is a better scrambler, and he will pick up some of those 1st downs with his legs.

I dont think thats quite accurate Jim...I think they were about the same. That being said, I think they were put in a lot more passing situations to help figure things out which I believe suits SB better. I also think SB scored more points in all practice ball in the air and with his feet. As bullrider has stated, its not just the INTs that matter but the TD to INT ratio and from what I read SB was ahead in that count. (Obviously this is bc and INT doesnt automatically equal points for opposite team)

But enough about that, QF was named the starter for FAMU and will get his opportunity to shine. SB will also get his chance to make a case for himself in that game. I am 100% behind both guys and I think things will be quite clear post FAMU.

Let go get'm Bulls!!