• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,467
  • Days Won:  25

↑ This ↑

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Flowers doesn't have to be a "great" QB to shine in this system. I think everyone can agree that he has raw athleticism that should translate well on the field. The most important factor will be the play calling. Can these coaches put our players in a position to succeed? That has been part of the problem the last few seasons. I am hoping that our coaching staff has improved as much as our play on the field. 

I am quietly optimistic about this season. I think our defense is going to shine and produce more turnovers. I hope our offense can move the ball consistently and cut down on stupid mistakes. Finally, I hope the coaches can find a way to get creative and get the ball into our most athletic play makers hands in spots where they can make something happen. CJL always had a knack for calling a few special plays in big games that could potentially keep us in it. 

Special plays as in

1) snap ball to Blackwell

2) hand off to Andre Hall

3) snap ball to Grothe

4) snap ball to Daniels

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Hopefully Flowers can be our Nick Marshall:

Hopefully he can be Quinton Flowers from Miami Jackson and make plays with his feet and occasionally find open receivers.

This!   :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Flowers doesn't have to be a "great" QB to shine in this system. I think everyone can agree that he has raw athleticism that should translate well on the field. The most important factor will be the play calling. Can these coaches put our players in a position to succeed? That has been part of the problem the last few seasons. I am hoping that our coaching staff has improved as much as our play on the field. 

I am quietly optimistic about this season. I think our defense is going to shine and produce more turnovers. I hope our offense can move the ball consistently and cut down on stupid mistakes. Finally, I hope the coaches can find a way to get creative and get the ball into our most athletic play makers hands in spots where they can make something happen. CJL always had a knack for calling a few special plays in big games that could potentially keep us in it. 

Special plays as in

3) snap ball to Grothe

4) snap ball to Daniels

I was thinking more like well timed backward laterals, reverses, fake reverses, flea-flickers and the like. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Special plays as in

3) snap ball to Grothe

4) snap ball to Daniels

Hand off to Andre Hall...that one never got old.

I honestly think Flowers is the best option for this offense.  I think he's going to surprise some folk, too.  The are taking the reins off... I think this kid is about to do some things we haven't seen in a long time... see a defense struggle because they have no idea as to what to do with a running QB with weapons.  I know we like to focus on what Flowers can do to be successful, but he has some things going in his favor already.  I think having backs like Mack, Tice, Johnson and Swanson will make life a lot easier.  We have legit weapons on the outside Adams, Bronson, and now it appears McCants is as good as we thought he was coming out of HS.  I haven't mentioned Price, Dillion, and Pope at TE.  I also feel our oline is a lot better.  It appears we're going with 4 Sr and 1 soph.  Also our defense should be much improved so there shouldn't be pressure on him to go out and put up 30 points just to keep us in the game.  We're not in a situation where we are hoping true freshman can step in and play right away, which says a lot in terms of where the talent level was.  This is the first time in a while we haven't had to rely on that.  If you really look at this team and how things are unfolding, there is a lot of room for optimism.  This is year 3 which historically is the year that guys get it.  I also get the idea that this kids are just tired of losing.  Solidarity has built strength and it seems these guys have a chip on their shoulders.  

In other words... I think Flowers is sitting in a pretty good **** spot and if he lives up to half of what I think he can do... so is USF football this season.  This is an entirely different team than last season for so many reasons.  I expect Flowers to do good things and the Mack, Johnson, and Tice show to be in full effect. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

Can't wait for the media questions

"Any questions for the coach?"

Media: "Why did you pick Flowers?"

CWT: "The coaches think he gives us the best chance to win at this point in time."

"Any more questions for the coach?"

Media: "Where's the food table?"

"Thanks for coming."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I honestly think Flowers is the best option for this offense.  I think he's going to surprise some folk, too.  The are taking the reins off... I think this kid is about to do some things we haven't seen in a long time... see a defense struggle because they have no idea as to what to do with a running QB with weapons.  I know we like to focus on what Flowers can do to be successful, but he has some things going in his favor already.  I think having backs like Mack, Tice, Johnson and Swanson will make life a lot easier.  We have legit weapons on the outside Adams, Bronson, and now it appears McCants is as good as we thought he was coming out of HS.  I haven't mentioned Price, Dillion, and Pope at TE.  I also feel our oline is a lot better.  It appears we're going with 4 Sr and 1 soph.  Also our defense should be much improved so there shouldn't be pressure on him to go out and put up 30 points just to keep us in the game.  We're not in a situation where we are hoping true freshman can step in and play right away, which says a lot in terms of where the talent level was.  This is the first time in a while we haven't had to rely on that.  If you really look at this team and how things are unfolding, there is a lot of room for optimism.  This is year 3 which historically is the year that guys get it.  I also get the idea that this kids are just tired of losing.  Solidarity has built strength and it seems these guys have a chip on their shoulders.  

In other words... I think Flowers is sitting in a pretty good **** spot and if he lives up to half of what I think he can do... so is USF football this season.  This is an entirely different team than last season for so many reasons.  I expect Flowers to do good things and the Mack, Johnson, and Tice show to be in full effect. 

I think the coaches have done a great job of bringing in talent. it's unbelievable really with the transfers and signees they have brought in. My hope is that they will use them to the best of their abilities.

Flowers isn't a drop back throw it 30 times kind of QB. I understand they changed the offense but if it is very similar to the previous offense only more up tempo with the field spread then not much will change. we need creative play callers who will limit the need for passing and get play makers in space. on the other side of the ball, we need to call an aggressive style of defense. attack the opponent. no more sitting back waiting for them to take the game to us.

I'm looking forward to this season. I believe they finally have the talent and Taggart is young enough and smart enough to know when to adapt his coaching style. I think we surprise some teams this year.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

The plays I saw them run remind me more of our old glory days not much shifting and moving around that took 7 seconds before a snap.

Flowers will score running I would predict 6 tds this season easy.

The plays I saw them run remind me more of our old glory days not much shifting and moving around that took 7 seconds before a snap.

Flowers will score running I would predict 6 tds this season easy.

"The things I showed the coaches was my running ability," Flowers said. "I'm very mobile with my legs, I can do a lot of things with my legs. I've got speed, I've got things some of the (running) backs can do like Marlon Mack."  QF