• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Glad to see it's really not that much of a surprise to most penners. It really was QF's job to lose IMO, and I'm glad he didn't do anything big enough to lose it.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I think some of the conspiracy theories have legs. Tin foil hat engage. Just saying, I've heard some things.

Absurd.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

USF Head Coach Willie Taggart has named sophomore Quinton Flowers (Miami) the Bulls’ starting quarterback for the season opener Sept. 5 vs. Florida A&M. That game kicks off at 7:00 p.m. in Raymond James Stadium and will be broadcast live on ESPN3 and the USF/IMG radio network.

Tells me what I thought all along. No QB has been good enough to be named the starter. I hope we don't start this week to week nonsense. QF will get his shot to play QB; however, I doubt we will learn much from the FAMU game.

Why dont you think we will learn much? I feel like we only have had glimpses during training camp. I think in a game situation we should be able to see if QF has progressed from last year. I also don't want to see a repeat of last year where CWT stuck with MW even when it was clear he needed to sit.

I guess my "we will not learn much" line was meant to point out that if QF dose well, some, myself included, will point out that FAMU is an FCS team.  If he does poorly, some, myself included, will point out that it is his first start, give him time.

I will try to reserve any judgment, good or bad, until the completion of game 3.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I see what you mean now. My feelings are we will see that QF is still raw, o will struggle unless the play breaks down, and SB will come in and do well against FAMU.

I dont think CWT has the luxury of letting QF figure it out during games. But like others have stated this is a.smart play. You let QF start FAMU if he needs more time you put SB in and let him run the show for a bit while QF matures. Doing it the other way around just means you are done for the season.

I am curious to see how vanilla they keep it against FAMU and if we are finally at the point where we can keep things simple and beat lesser opponents. It would be nice to surprise FSU with some fun plays. I think we have the talent to do it, just not sure about the execution.

If QF does well against FAMU it will be a big indication of improvement over last year bc he did horrible against a terrible D last year. So I don't think they're is any reason to discredit any success he has against FAMU.

It also doesnt mean he will light it up against FSU, but I have a feeling our D is good and the QBs will not be shocked by the talent or speed at FSU.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

There's a LOT we'll be able to tell about him in how he handles himself in this game IMO. If he's relaxed and looking like he's having fun, that bodes well for us. If we take some adversity and he starts making poor decisions, we may have to look to Bench.

USF Football â€@USFFootball

. @CoachTaggart says Flowers is "night & day better" and "far more comfortable on & off the field" since his first start at SMU last year

Thats encouraging. I guess that would have to be the true for him to make a case to start.

Then again he did put him on the field last year...aarrgghh....I just want see him in 11 days already!!

Go Bulls!!

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I just hope they call plays that are designed around his strengths. don't have him drop back 25 times looking to be a pocket passer. have him run read option 12-15 times, roll out dump offs easy passes for the majority and maybe stretch the field a few times.

I hate it when coaches out think themselves and go against their strengths .

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

If QF does well against FAMU it will be a big indication of improvement over last year bc he did horrible against a terrible D last year. So I don't think they're is any reason to discredit any success he has against FAMU.

It also doesnt mean he will light it up against FSU, but I have a feeling our D is good and the QBs will not be shocked by the talent or speed at FSU.

Very true.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Flowers doesn't have to be a "great" QB to shine in this system. I think everyone can agree that he has raw athleticism that should translate well on the field. The most important factor will be the play calling. Can these coaches put our players in a position to succeed? That has been part of the problem the last few seasons. I am hoping that our coaching staff has improved as much as our play on the field. 

I am quietly optimistic about this season. I think our defense is going to shine and produce more turnovers. I hope our offense can move the ball consistently and cut down on stupid mistakes. Finally, I hope the coaches can find a way to get creative and get the ball into our most athletic play makers hands in spots where they can make something happen. CJL always had a knack for calling a few special plays in big games that could potentially keep us in it.