• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,660
  • Days Won:  424

FLOWERS THE STARTER: It was “the entire body of work,’’ dating back to spring practice through training camp, that helped the coaches select sophomore Quinton Flowers as USF’s starting quarterback over senior Steven Bench, Taggart said.

“We would’ve been happy with either one of those guys,’’ said Taggart, who utilized five different starting quarterbacks in his two USF seasons. “Being the (opening-game) starter doesn’t mean he finishes the season that way. He has to cement that through production.’

’

Flowers’ mobility might have given him an edge to run USF’s new spread offense, which is similar to the system he had at Miami Jackson High.

“I think I can do some of the things our backs can do,’’ Flowers said. “I think I have good arm strength. The coaches gave me opportunity and now it’s up to me to make the most of it.’’

http://www.tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-notes-two-key-defenders-suspended-for-first-two-games-20150825/

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Why does everyone think Taggart dislikes Bench?

It's not everyone, just some of the ones who don't think Taggart is the one to take us to the next level ... something else for them to whine about.

I don't consider myself a tin foil hat guy, heck I am a scientist by trade and its my job to think critically. As I have stated before, in the past CWT has kept SB off the field when it was clear he was the better option and he has never answered questions as to why. This is why many of us believe something doesnt add up...no conspiracies just taking the facts into account. I want CWT to work out bc I believe what he had done recruiting wise is nothing short of amazing. It needs to show on the field though otherwise he is no head coach.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I do recall Bench started the Houston game and we scored 3 points. Bench has had chances he just never secured the position with great play.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I don't consider myself a tin foil hat guy, heck I am a scientist by trade and its my job to think critically. As I have stated before, in the past CWT has kept SB off the field when it was clear he was the better option and he has never answered questions as to why. This is why many of us believe something doesnt add up...no conspiracies just taking the facts into account. I want CWT to work out bc I believe what he had done recruiting wise is nothing short of amazing. It needs to show on the field though otherwise he is no head coach.

How is this clear?  If you're a scientist and experienced in critical thinking, you would think you'd want to look at the data...

Mike White 122-242 50.4% 8 TD 7 INT 112.4 rating

Steven Bench 49-100 49.0% 3 TD 2 INT 106.2 rating

The whole anti-Bench conspiracy thing is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, and there are a great many to choose from.

Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

It's not everyone, just some of the ones who don't think Taggart is the one to take us to the next level ... something else for them to whine about.

Being a scientist, I'm sure you can articulate exactly what "facts" you are taking into account to determine that SB was the "clear better option".  

Clear to you maybe but apparently not to CWT .... and just because he didn't consider him the better option, doesn't mean he dislikes him ... unless you're a conspiracy theorist. :rolleyes:

How is this clear?  If you're a scientist and experienced in critical thinking, you would think you'd want to look at the data...

The whole anti-Bench conspiracy thing is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, and there are a great many to choose from.

Reminds me of the CJL one where he'd play a senior even though an underclassman behind him was clearly the "better option" ...

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The Bench Brigade never disappoints 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

It only seems stupid if you don't know how QBs have graded out in games and in practice (by the coaches) over the last 2 years and then see the decisions that are made at selecting starting QBs.  I admit that I hear the numbers from one side of the equation but the numbers should be the same from both parties.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Because it is blatantly obvious.

Actually, it really isn't so much obvious that he dislikes Bench as it is obvious that he has a love affair with QF.

Because CWT ditched the Harbaugh offense in hopes that the new offense would better fit Flowers' abilities.

the new offense better fits bench's skillset also.

I don't think Bench's body can hold up against all the contact he is going to see in the new offense, so skill set yes, but body no.

Well his skill set didnt shine in a run first game manager roll last season, it's definitely clear he's not a guy that can stand back there and throw it 35 times and beat you, and his body can't hold up to an offense that utilizes QB runs.  What exactly can he do if he can't beat you with his arms, legs, or just be a game manger.  Wait for it......Maybe he's just not very good at all....