• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Bench is older, class wise , than both Flowers and White.

if experience doesn't beat out youth hands down then you go with youth.

gives them the time to improve. these conspiracies are ridiculous

almost as dumb as those that thought BJ Daniels wasn't a high level college QB and Floyd should have started in front of him.

I don't consider myself a tin foil hat guy, heck I am a scientist by trade and its my job to think critically. As I have stated before, in the past CWT has kept SB off the field when it was clear he was the better option and he has never answered questions as to why. This is why many of us believe something doesnt add up...no conspiracies just taking the facts into account. I want CWT to work out bc I believe what he had done recruiting wise is nothing short of amazing. It needs to show on the field though otherwise he is no head coach.

How is this clear?  If you're a scientist and experienced in critical thinking, you would think you'd want to look at the data...

Mike White 122-242 50.4% 8 TD 7 INT 112.4 rating

Steven Bench 49-100 49.0% 3 TD 2 INT 106.2 rating

The whole anti-Bench conspiracy thing is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, and there are a great many to choose from.

It only seems stupid if you don't know how QBs have graded out in games and in practice (by the coaches) over the last 2 years and then see the decisions that are made at selecting starting QBs.  I admit that I hear the numbers from one side of the equation but the numbers should be the same from both parties.

honestly I can't imagine that he graded out all that much higher. none of them did very well in games according to their stats . not sure what they grade on but it couldn't be QB rating or any other such metric because he was not any better.

if that's the case then you go with the younger guy in hopes that the experience will pay off in the future.

I once talked to a TEs dad at a game and he was livid the way Leavitt used him. Didn't think he was thrown the ball enough. Thought he was used as a blocker to much. The kid was a pretty big part of the team as well.

no parent ever thinks little johnny gets a fair shake.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

Why does everyone think Taggart dislikes Bench?

Because it is blatantly obvious.

Actually, it really isn't so much obvious that he dislikes Bench as it is obvious that he has a love affair with QF.

Because CWT ditched the Harbaugh offense in hopes that the new offense would better fit Flowers' abilities.

the new offense better fits bench's skillset also.

I don't think Bench's body can hold up against all the contact he is going to see in the new offense, so skill set yes, but body no.

Well his skill set didnt shine in a run first game manager roll last season, it's definitely clear he's not a guy that can stand back there and throw it 35 times and beat you, and his body can't hold up to an offense that utilizes QB runs.  What exactly can he do if he can't beat you with his arms, legs, or just be a game manger.  Wait for it......Maybe he's just not very good at all....

You do know that Bench is much larger than Flowers right?  Bench hurt his knee 2 years ago trying to run over a guy instead of sliding.  He just may have learned something from that.  And if you check back to the spring game and scrimmages this year you may be surprised to learn that Bench had more rushing TDs than Flowers.  His speed isn't bad.  The "make 'em miss" isn't as good as Flowers however.  

I don't consider myself a tin foil hat guy, heck I am a scientist by trade and its my job to think critically. As I have stated before, in the past CWT has kept SB off the field when it was clear he was the better option and he has never answered questions as to why. This is why many of us believe something doesnt add up...no conspiracies just taking the facts into account. I want CWT to work out bc I believe what he had done recruiting wise is nothing short of amazing. It needs to show on the field though otherwise he is no head coach.

How is this clear?  If you're a scientist and experienced in critical thinking, you would think you'd want to look at the data...

The whole anti-Bench conspiracy thing is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, and there are a great many to choose from.

It only seems stupid if you don't know how QBs have graded out in games and in practice (by the coaches) over the last 2 years and then see the decisions that are made at selecting starting QBs.  I admit that I hear the numbers from one side of the equation but the numbers should be the same from both parties.

honestly I can't imagine that he graded out all that much higher. none of them did very well in games according to their stats . not sure what they grade on but it couldn't be QB rating or any other such metric because he was not any better.

if that's the case then you go with the younger guy in hopes that the experience will pay off in the future.

I once talked to a TEs dad at a game and he was livid the way Leavitt used him. Didn't think he was thrown the ball enough. Thought he was used as a blocker to much. The kid was a pretty big part of the team as well.

That would normally be true if your job was secure and the guy that is going to start next year is already sitting on your bench and not playing.

Because it is blatantly obvious.

Actually, it really isn't so much obvious that he dislikes Bench as it is obvious that he has a love affair with QF.

Because CWT ditched the Harbaugh offense in hopes that the new offense would better fit Flowers' abilities.

the new offense better fits bench's skillset also.

I don't think Bench's body can hold up against all the contact he is going to see in the new offense, so skill set yes, but body no.

Well his skill set didnt shine in a run first game manager roll last season, it's definitely clear he's not a guy that can stand back there and throw it 35 times and beat you, and his body can't hold up to an offense that utilizes QB runs.  What exactly can he do if he can't beat you with his arms, legs, or just be a game manger.  Wait for it......Maybe he's just not very good at all....

You do know that Bench is much larger than Flowers right?  Bench hurt his knee 2 years ago trying to run over a guy instead of sliding.  He just may have learned something from that.  And if you check back to the spring game and scrimmages this year you may be surprised to learn that Bench had more rushing TDs than Flowers.  His speed isn't bad.  The "make 'em miss" isn't as good as Flowers however.  

Bench doesn't seem to have the escapability that a Grothe or Daniels had. Flowes looks like he could make something happen when a play breaks down. straight ahead speed is overrated. spring game and scrimmages don't show much when it's 2 hand touch on QBs.

And I will say that if Tags went to Tomey and Tomey agreed with the decision that I'm OK with this decision.  If we are going to be a run first offense and aren't planning on throwing the ball much then Flowers is the more elusive QB.  

Edit: And I hope like heck that Flowers wins every game he plays for us.  I in no way am rooting against him.

Edited by Bourbon Bull
  • Upvote 1

That would normally be true if your job was secure and the guy that is going to start next year is already sitting on your bench and not playing.

Bench was given every opportunity to take the QB job his first 2 years. He showed that he wasn't all that much better than the younger guys behind him. If that's the case, you go with youth as you hope the experience will better prepare them for the future. Especially when rebuilding a program. Bench played  before both Flowers and White. He obviously wasn't the answer for the future. Wasn't as good a passer as White and wasn't as good a runner as Flowers. He didn't grab hold of the job like Grothe, Blackwell, Daniels did in their redshirt freshman years.

Taggart goes 6-6 this year with a true sophomore QB and people get excited about the future. He goes 6-6 this year with a senior QB and we're back to the drawing board on offense. I think Taggart is safe this year unless we absolutely implode. He is bringing in some serious talent and he looks like he is willing to do whatever it takes to win (i.e. changing philosophies and coaches).

Edited by Bull94

And I will say that if Tags went to Tomey and Tomey agreed with the decision that I'm OK with this decision.  If we are going to be a run first offense and aren't planning on throwing the ball much then Flowers is the more elusive QB.  

Edit: And I hope like heck that Flowers wins every game he plays for us.  I in no way am rooting against him.

I'm with you. We better see Flowers run 15 times per game and pass 12-15 times per game at most. short simple roll out routes. If they want a 25-5 pass run ratio than I'd rather see Bench. In fact I think when we play catch up in games we will see Bench as he is the better passer.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

It's not everyone, just some of the ones who don't think Taggart is the one to take us to the next level ... something else for them to whine about.

I believe in Aliens, Illuminati, Bildeburg, Ghosts, and things such as Bigfoot. I also think ancient aliens is the best show on TV.

Not even joking

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

It's not everyone, just some of the ones who don't think Taggart is the one to take us to the next level ... something else for them to whine about.

I believe in Aliens, Illuminati, Bildeburg, Ghosts, and things such as Bigfoot. I also think ancient aliens is the best show on TV.

Not even joking

I never knew we were boarding with a celebrity!!

becausealiens.jpg

• Upvote 1