• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers is the Starter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Out of the limited options we have at QB...I think CWT made the right decision. Bench has not played well, stating it nicely, when he has stepped onto the field in the past. Everything I have read about QF & Bench this preseason has lead me to believe this would be the outcome...no surprise here for me.

I can't wait to watch the FAMU game and see how this team plays.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Not surprising, but I still expect that we will see both play significant amounts this year. Flowers is a horrific passer and CWT has shown no ability to develop players, so my expectations are low for him. As the inevitable losses pile up and CWT gets little from the position I expect we'll see a quarterback carousel.

If that transpires, and it's definitely possible, I'd expect Flowers to transfer out after the season with the new head coach annointing Woulard as the quarterback of the future.

CWT's inability to recruit and/or coach up a quarterback in 3 years will ultimately doom this season and end his career at USF.

Thanks for that ray of sunshine. I was kinda waiting for BH to say something like.

I am just happy they didn't wait until the very last minute to do this. I hope this sticks for a couple of weeks, how can we develop players with no consistency?

It is a real dilemma for Tags this year.  If he leaves Q in no matter what to help him develop and we lose too many games, he is out of a job more than likely.  One thought that crossed my mind is that if you start Q and things don't work out you have a Senior to fall back on.  Reverse that scenario and how comfortable are bringing in the Soph?  It is obvious that the coaches had no clear cut choice.

I am afraid that the thought of Bench taking the field doesn't really comfort me. Our biggest problem overall at the qb position has been turnovers, and Bench doesn't generate enough points to offset the turnovers he causes.

I guess we will have to see if Flowers has matured enough to take the reins and run with them.

• Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

Hopefully Flowers can be our Nick Marshall:

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nick_marshall_854707.html

2014 | Maxwell Award semifinalist … 4,508 passing yards (8th at Auburn), 1,866 rushing yards (21st) in his career … only third player in Auburn history to throw for 2,000 and rush for 1,000 … eight career 100-yard rushing games … six career 100 rush/100 pass games … sixth place with 6,374 career yards of total offense … sixth on AU career list with 34 career TD passes … 57 career TD responsible for, third in school history … voted team MVP ... 9-yd TD run vs. Arkansas in second-half action … 10-19 passing for 101 yards and a TD, and 103 yards rushing scoring on a 27-yard run against San José State … 231 yards passing (17-31) with 2 TD at Kansas State … 105 rushing yards, 10-17 passing for 166 yards with TD tosses to Bray (2) and D’haquille Williams vs. Louisiana Tech, his first 3 TD pass game … rushed for 119 yards and 2 TD, passed for 207 yards and 2 TD in LSU win … 100 yards rushing, 209 passing with 2 TD passes at Mississippi State … rushed for 3 TD, 89 yards vs. South Carolina; 12-14 passing for 139 yards, 1 TD … 254 yards passing, 2 TD at Ole Miss; also rushed for 2 TD … 219 passing, 31-yd TD pass to Bray, 2 rushing TD vs. Texas A&M … 112 yards passing, 41 rushing at Georgia … AU record 456 yards passing (27-43, 3 TD) at Alabama; his 505 yards total offense also set a school record … Manning Award Star of Week (LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss) ... A-Day spring game MVP ... preseason all-SEC first team (SEC media, Birmingham News, Athlon, Phil Steele, Lindy’s, Sporting News, CFB Matrix) ... invited to Reese’s Senior Bowl, where he played CB ... NFL Combine

2013 | Junior college transfer who earned the starting quarterback job and did a masterful job with the Malzahn offense ... averaged 234.2 yards total offense per game ... 1,976 yards passing, 1,068 rushing for season with 26 touchdowns accounted for ... just the fourth QB in SEC history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season ... AP All-SEC honorable mention ... 10-17 passing for 147 yards against Arkansas State, with TD passes of 18 (Marcus Davis) and 68 (Sammie Coates) yards ... 339 yards passing vs. Mississippi State most ever by an Auburn QB in his SEC debut; 151 yards passing in first quarter ... game-winning TD pass to C.J. Uzomah for 11 yards with 0:10 remaining capped 88-yard, 12-play drive in 1:46 vs. Bulldogs; Marshall accounted for 85 of those yards himself (66 pass, 19 rush) ... 76-yard TD pass to Quan Bray vs. MSU was a career long ... 17-33 passing for 224 yards at LSU, with 46 yards rushing ... posted first 100-yard rushing game vs. Ole Miss with 140 yards on 14 carries, 2 TD ... did not play against Western Carolina ... 236 yards passing with 2 TD and rushed for 100 yards and 2 TDs at Texas A&M ... rushed for 73 yards and attempted only one pass (10-yd completion) vs. Florida Atlantic in only one quarter of action ... rushed for 59 yards and his 88-yard TD completion to Coates at Arkansas was third-longest pass play in AU history ... rushed for 214 yards, 2 TD in win at Tennessee, the third best rushing day ever by an AU QB ... most rushing yards posted by an SEC player in a game this season ... 15-26 passing for 229 yards with game-winning 73-yard TD pass to Ricardo Louis vs. Georgia ... rushed for 89 yards and 2 TD against the Bulldogs ... 99 yards rushing with a 45-yard TD run, and 11-16 passing with 2 TD against Alabama, leading another fourth-quarter comeback drive ... SEC offensive player of the week (Texas A&M, Tennessee, Alabama) ... 101 yards rushing with a 9-yd TD, 132 passing with a 38-yd TD in SEC Championship Game vs. Missouri ... passed for 217 yards in BCS title game, with TD tosses to Tre Mason (12 yds) and Melvin Ray (50 yds) ... also rushed for 45 yards and a score against Florida State ... Manning Award player of week (Tennessee) ... Lindy's all-newcomer team ... Pat Sullivan Award as Auburn's offensive MVP ... his 2013 game-winning TD pass to Ricardo Louis vs. Georgia received a 2014 ESPY nomination for Best Play

Junior College/High School | Talented dual-threat quarterback from the junior college ranks ... passed for 3,142 yards, 18 TD and rushed for 1,095 yards, 19 TD for Coach Jeff Tatum at Garden City in 2012 ... No. 4 junior college QB by 247Sports ... played in 13 games at corner for Georgia in 2011 ... 2010 Georgia Sports Writers Association Class A Offensive Player of the Year for Coach Mark Ledford at Wilcox County ... Atlanta Journal-Constitution "Super 11" selection, Class A Offensive Player of the Year ... two-time Macon Telegraph Middle Georgia Offensive Player of the Year... led Wilcox County to the Class A title as a junior ... set GHSA career record with 103 TD passes.

• Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Nobody really scored much in last year's offense. With the talent on this team we need to be handing the ball off and feeding the receivers constantly.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Not surprising, but I still expect that we will see both play significant amounts this year. Flowers is a horrific passer and CWT has shown no ability to develop players, so my expectations are low for him. As the inevitable losses pile up and CWT gets little from the position I expect we'll see a quarterback carousel.

If that transpires, and it's definitely possible, I'd expect Flowers to transfer out after the season with the new head coach annointing Woulard as the quarterback of the future.

CWT's inability to recruit and/or coach up a quarterback in 3 years will ultimately doom this season and end his career at USF.

Thanks for that ray of sunshine. I was kinda waiting for BH to say something like.

I am just happy they didn't wait until the very last minute to do this. I hope this sticks for a couple of weeks, how can we develop players with no consistency?

It is a real dilemma for Tags this year.  If he leaves Q in no matter what to help him develop and we lose too many games, he is out of a job more than likely.  One thought that crossed my mind is that if you start Q and things don't work out you have a Senior to fall back on.  Reverse that scenario and how comfortable are bringing in the Soph?  It is obvious that the coaches had no clear cut choice.

I am afraid that the thought of Bench taking the field doesn't really comfort me. Our biggest problem overall at the qb position has been turnovers, and Bench doesn't generate enough points to offset the turnovers he causes.

I guess we will have to see if Flowers has matured enough to take the reins and run with them.

Not sure what you saw that makes you feel so much better about Q.  

Last year's stats:

Flowers GP - 5, Effec 66.62, 8 for 20, 2 Ints, 0 TDs

Bench   GP - 6, Effec 106.22, 49 for 100, 2 Ints, 3 TDs

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=&ATCLID=1425766&SPID=2981&SPSID=37332

It really should be obvious that if there was a clear difference in the 2 that he would have named a starter much earlier than this.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

This is the return of sandlot ball and I mean that in a good way.

I'm right there with you.   :GoBulls:

Nobody really scored much in last year's offense. With the talent on this team we need to be handing the ball off and feeding the receivers constantly.

Assuming the receivers can catch the **** ball!!

• Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Not sure what you saw that makes you feel so much better about Q.  

Last year's stats:

Flowers GP - 5, Effec 66.62, 8 for 20, 2 Ints, 0 TDs

Bench   GP - 6, Effec 106.22, 49 for 100, 2 Ints, 3 TDs

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=&ATCLID=1425766&SPID=2981&SPSID=37332

It really should be obvious that if there was a clear difference in the 2 that he would have named a starter much earlier than this.

Don't mistake my uneasiness for confidence. I am not sure about either of these guys. If the wrs are as advertised, maybe they will catch the ball and we will be able to better evaluate whoever starts/plays.

Both those stats are kind of sad, one set is clearly better though.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm not sure how I feel about this... there is just too much of an unknown here... I'll root my ass off for the kid, but I'm just concerned about his passing skills...

That's pretty much where I'm at. Best case scenario is between his legs and Mack, the defense has to give him some wiggle room to throw the ball and he can give us a few plays here and there. Worst case scenario, they dare him to throw and it looks like we're all praying it doesn't.

I'm not writing off this season by any stretch, but I'm intrigued going into 2016 with a QB battle with (hopefully) a season under QF's belt to mature. I know some will disagree, but AW is light years ahead of Flowers, even in the best case scenario, throwing the ball. QF better have some serious running ability.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

3rd and up to 5, we're going to be fine.

3rd and 6 and beyond, it's going to be dicey.

But let's give QF a chance and see what happens. Last year doesn't count; he didn't get a fair shot.

The good thing is that we know what we have in Bench. My gut tells me Bench is going to start later on, keep the job, and will take us to a bowl game.

Why? Bench is better suited to convert 3rd and 6 and beyond... Well, let's rephrase that. He has a higher percentage of completing them for yards.