• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott signed to an extension

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  0

Read the news and popped on to see if this made as little sense here as it did to me. Seems so.

Unless we are a lock for a different conference, this seems to be a lock for frustration for years to come. What kills me is we have played this game before, with better on-paper, on-field results, and lost horribly. Really don’t understand the thinking at all, and this generates zero excitement for me for the future of the program.

He had plenty of time on his existing contract to prove himself first before being rewarded. Even one more year to show —something — would have been prudent. 

AD got his coaching team and payday, so maybe that’s all that matters.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

19 minutes ago, Johaan said:

Read the news and popped on to see if this made as little sense here as it did to me. Seems so.

Unless we are a lock for a different conference, this seems to be a lock for frustration for years to come. What kills me is we have played this game before, with better on-paper, on-field results, and lost horribly. Really don’t understand the thinking at all, and this generates zero excitement for me for the future of the program.

He had plenty of time on his existing contract to prove himself first before being rewarded. Even one more year to show —something — would have been prudent. 

AD got his coaching team and payday, so maybe that’s all that matters.

My thoughts exactly…I am giving him one more year to reach 5/6 wins but that’s it. Now the stakes are huge for the next three years. He better win or we may go the way of Pompeii. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,354
  • Days Won:  10

There must be facts, considerations, etc. that we are not privy to.  I have no idea how these things work behind the scenes but I must admit that the optics are not great.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,043
  • Days Won:  38

Well, we have to hope that this works out better than previous rushed extensions.   If so, then we are all good.  If not, yikes.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

I'm sure glad I work for a company that looks at other things than just results when it comes to raises and promotions, or in this case the ability to stay on for another year or two.

Not saying they aren't a big part of the equation, but at least they look at other factors and assess whether or not I had total control over all the things that may have led to a poor year.

Even those of you using his record as your only justification to fire him have to believe there are other things to consider as well.  If not, you're not reading all of the replies, because some good points to consider are being made.

• Upvote 1
  • ???? 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

My thoughts exactly…I am giving him one more year to reach 5/6 wins but that’s it. Now the stakes are huge for the next three years. He better win or we may go the way of Pompeii. 

At the rate he is going, 4 wins next year will get him a lifetime contract.

• Haha 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,598
  • Days Won:  424

9 minutes ago, Boomer said:

I'm sure glad I work for a company that looks at other things than just results when it comes to raises and promotions, or in this case the ability to stay on for another year or two.

Not saying they aren't a big part of the equation, but at least they look at other factors and assess whether or not I had total control over all the things that may have led to a poor year.

Even those of you using his record as your only justification to fire him have to believe there are other things to consider as well.  If not, you're not reading all of the replies, because some good points to consider are being made.

I don't think that many are wanting to fire him right now but just not real happy with an extension ..... I think your other points are good, and also agree that there are other good ones being made in other replies

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Well instead of complaining why don’t you take one minute and share your thoughts into why the man deserves a three year extension? And last I checked  even the media are saying this is very strange. 

I will take the bait. CJS may not have "deserved" or "earned" an extension based upon the team's on-field performance to date. However, there are other factors that may have influenced the decision. I have no firsthand insight into any of these, but they are potential reasons for an extension at this point, deserved or not.

First, it is a calculated risk to sign him now for a bigger bargain than you would get assuming he is the caliber of coach that VPoA Kelly and many on this board think he will be. He would cost you a lot more if he has a winning season next year, money that USF might not have laying around. 

Second, the contract may contain a much more lucrative buyout clause in the event that he is successful and is hired away by a bigger program. Again, this would be the brass at USF banking on him successfully completing the rebuild.

Third, he could be an excellent fundraiser and may have brought in/back some big $$$ donors into the mix whose contributions will be critical in the building of an OCS. Maybe those big donors insisted on CJS being here through the building of the OCS. It is possible, we just don't know. 

Fourth, it helps prevent against negative recruiting. You don't want your competitors using the revolving door of coaches at USF against us on the recruiting trail. This brings a sense of stability to the program.

Fifth, a recognition by the administration that the last 2 years with a global pandemic have been an absolute shitshow that has unfairly hindered CJS's efforts here and that he deserves the opportunity to get that time back. It also sends a message in the future that the athletic department leadership is reasonable in evaluating coaches vis a vis the extrinsic obstacles that they may face.  

Edited by BullyPulpit
  • Upvote 1
  • ???? 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, Boomer said:

I get what you are saying. My take is a little different as an evaluator for my company and function (of professional coaches no less).

We look at impact, team growth and development, and value created over time through metrics… understanding that some coaching efforts have a very long tail and take time. It’s not always the coaches fault that a team did not move the needle in a year or so… but trends over time do show what a coach is capable of as teams mature. It’s not a perfect analogy, but I use sports coaching as a point of reference for my development teams all the time. 

The metrics for this team across all 3 of those areas don’t warrant a promotion. I don’t see a lot of progress, yet. They do warrant a bit more time to tell the tale. He already had another year or two left on his contract, that would have been enough to see if he’d be successful.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I will take the bait. CJS may not have "deserved" or "earned" an extension based upon the team's on-field performance to date. However, there are other factors that may have influenced the decision. I have no firsthand insight into any of these, but they are potential reasons for an extension at this point, deserved or not.

First, it is a calculated risk to sign him now for a bigger bargain than you would get assuming he is the caliber of coach that VPoA Kelly and many on this board think he will be. He would cost you a lot more if he has a winning season next year, money that USF might not have laying around. 

Second, the contract may contain a much more lucrative buyout clause in the event that he is successful and is hired away by a bigger program. Again, this would be the brass at USF banking on him successfully completing the rebuild.

Third, he could be an excellent fundraiser and may have brought in/back some big $$$ donors into the mix whose contributions will be critical in the building of an OCS. Maybe those big donors insisted on CJS being here through the building of the OCS. It is possible, we just don't know. 

Fourth, it helps prevent against negative recruiting. You don't want your competitors using the revolving door of coaches at USF against us on the recruiting trail. This brings a sense of stability to the program.

Fifth, a recognition by the administration that the last 2 years with a global pandemic have been an absolute shitshow that has unfairly hindered CJS's efforts here and that he deserves the opportunity to get that time back. It also sends a message in the future that the athletic department leadership is reasonable in evaluating coaches vis a vis the extrinsic obstacles that they may face.  

I think your third point is most telling. I am hearing that he is humping it relative to fundraising for facilities and has been the catalyst for the stadium push. We shall see.