• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott signed to an extension

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

So CJS took a PAY CUT to get an extension... $100,000 for the next 3 years. Not a bad job VPMK.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Love, love, love, love it. I've said it before, stability breeds success. Great move, great call, can't wait to see the rewards. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

37 minutes ago, monktified said:

At least CJS, is the first coach to actually lay it out there on what our actual standard and vision is. 

In a totally sarcastic, tongue in cheek, trying to get a chuckle... Speaking of Chuckles, he laid out his plan and standard in his welcoming speech when he said we needed to slow down the offense. By golly! Did he slow it down...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I’m on board with extending CJS.  There is a lot of positive momentum with the football program and facilities and alignment.  I get all that but what stinks to high heaven for me was extending Gregory.  But alas, what’s done is done.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

I know that culturally the administration wants CBG to succeed.  He absolutely cares about his players and wants them to be successful in life and he may in fact be a better life coach than a basketball coach.  What happened last year was unprecedented, and it is almost impossible to blend that many new faces in one season.  So it almost makes sense to give him an extension as we do not have a track record of winning basketball in the last 32 years so I am not sure there is a coach out there that is going to just flip a switch and make us into one of the better teams in the conference. I do not know where the push came to incorporate a Princeton style of offense.  As this style of basketball really relies on all 5 players being able to handle the basketball, shoot and pass.  It also requires considerable amount of teaching and every player to understand not only their role, but each others as well.  This requires high basketball IQ and while we have a deeper bench of players with lots of interchangeable pieces which in theory is what you want with this offense, but it takes time to master.  This is why we do not see the consistency on the offensive side of the ball, we struggle with shot selection, we struggle with spacing the floor and making passes that lead to scoring opportunities, and when we do we rush shot or look out of control.   Maybe Gregory should not have been extended, but I think with the cultural shift of the athletic department is to give everyone everything possible to be successful.  If this doesn't work out we can say that we gave ample time and resources for there to be results on the court.  In the big picture have been mediocre to bad in basketball for a long time.  The teams that we did have that had aspirations of good seasons always under performed, a few extra seasons for CBG doesn't hurt our reputation.  **** Vitale has been saying since the late 90s this is the hardest coaching job in America.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

3 minutes ago, monktified said:

I know that culturally the administration wants CBG to succeed.  He absolutely cares about his players and wants them to be successful in life and he may in fact be a better life coach than a basketball coach.  What happened last year was unprecedented, and it is almost impossible to blend that many new faces in one season.  So it almost makes sense to give him an extension as we do not have a track record of winning basketball in the last 32 years so I am not sure there is a coach out there that is going to just flip a switch and make us into one of the better teams in the conference. I do not know where the push came to incorporate a Princeton style of offense.  As this style of basketball really relies on all 5 players being able to handle the basketball, shoot and pass.  It also requires considerable amount of teaching and every player to understand not only their role, but each others as well.  This requires high basketball IQ and while we have a deeper bench of players with lots of interchangeable pieces which in theory is what you want with this offense, but it takes time to master.  This is why we do not see the consistency on the offensive side of the ball, we struggle with shot selection, we struggle with spacing the floor and making passes that lead to scoring opportunities, and when we do we rush shot or look out of control.   Maybe Gregory should not have been extended, but I think with the cultural shift of the athletic department is to give everyone everything possible to be successful.  If this doesn't work out we can say that we gave ample time and resources for there to be results on the court.  In the big picture have been mediocre to bad in basketball for a long time.  The teams that we did have that had aspirations of good seasons always under performed, a few extra seasons for CBG doesn't hurt our reputation.  **** Vitale has been saying since the late 90s this is the hardest coaching job in America.

Antigua proved Dickie V's point. He cheated and couldn't even manage to win at USF. CBG needs one of his assistants to be the "offensive coordinator". He can't run an offense, but sure as hell can coach up a defense. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Antigua proved Dickie V's point. He cheated and couldn't even manage to win at USF. CBG needs one of his assistants to be the "offensive coordinator". He can't run an offense, but sure as hell can coach up a defense. 

Agreed.  CBG needs to completely overhaul the offense.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,909
  • Days Won:  33

11 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

The counterpoint to this would be Coach Heath. He did a great job here. Fell victim to the injury bug with a young team. Most of the players who left after he was fired went on to some good careers at some pretty good programs.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

7 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

The counterpoint to this would be Coach Heath. He did a great job here. Fell victim to the injury bug with a young team. Most of the players who left after he was fired went on to some good careers at some pretty good programs.

Heath should have had a longer leash. Fired 2 seasons after winning 2 NCAA tourney games is unbelievable given our success. Especially since he had some recruiting momentum if I recall

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1