• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CWT Interviewing at SC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Any one have a good link for the SC blog. Curious what they are saying.

Willie who?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

This thread is comical, Taggart is only guaranteed to make a million dollars next year and that is it. Absolutely no guarantees after that... Why would he not take a 5 year $15 million guaranteed contract for his family? Taggart would be an idiot not to take it. 

Exactly college football is big business if CWT has another big year next year he is going to get a huge pay increase either with usf or another school. 

Personally might extend a extension maybe after bowl as it will show usf has faith in him being at helm for the future.  Just put a big buyout so usf can make some money back if he leaves at end of season.

So if we offer 2 million a year now and he has a million buyout it's like we still paid him the one million he makes now if he took a big job at end of next season.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Perspective is a funny thing.  Everything I have read here since this thread has started are pretty solid opinions.  Some I agree with, some I don't.  Regardless, some recruits will believe CWT spin on this, others will not.  

None of us have any idea how all this took place.  Did CWT go to Harlan and ask for a pay raise before the interview?  Did Harlan know, Did the players know.  It is unfair to blame or be mad at CWT for trying to better his position, that is not the question.  However, I would love to find out how it all played out, but we will probably never know that.  Harlan is smart and so is CWT, they will spin this as a positive, regardless.  But, I will not buy this as a positive event for the university, no matter the outcome.  

The positive could be that the college world is HEARING USF mentioned for an SEC job.  That gets attention to our program. And, if he stays, it may help with recruiting, especially if we give him a raise.  Recruits like to know/hope their coach will be there during their 4-5 years, and that could be solidified.

Other positive:  at 1-3, we may've been close to another firing/pay out.  Now, we have a coach in demand, and 8-4 record.  Few thought of USF back then...now we're getting Top 25 votes and at least one P5 team is eye balling our HC.

Willie who?

Wait till someone posts a link of Taggart wearing a visor.  That'll warm them up.

Beating a dead horse, but if Woolard had any commercial acumen, he'd have included a clause in Holtz's extension that reduced the pay out (at least in part) if Holtz landed another coaching gig.  If we didn't have to pay Holtz, we'd have more money to pay CWT and the assistants.

That said, I THOUGHT I read somewhere that we paid off Holtz in full, but maybe I'm think of the Leavitt buy out.

Now we wait...and enjoy conference championship day.  The AAC champ game is on, and the winner WILL be the highest ranked G5 team.  That's a good thing!

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

If he's only here for the money, then stop worrying about how to keep him. We can't.

If he stays and recruits a solid class with the recruits knowing that he's one interview away from leaving, then we just have to thank him for his services and be done with it.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Exactly college football is big business if CWT has another big year next year he is going to get a huge pay increase either with usf or another school. 

Personally might extend a extension maybe after bowl as it will show usf has faith in him being at helm for the future.  Just put a big buyout so usf can make some money back if he leaves at end of season.

So if we offer 2 million a year now and he has a million buyout it's like we still paid him the one million he makes now if he took a big job at end of next season.

I wonder if we can revise his current contract to include incentives for next year? The two revisions would be a higher bonus based on which Bowl we make, start with a million dollar bonus if we reach an Access Bowl and go from there.. The other revision would be to include a buy out to protect us.. 

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

they all are.

Apparently most USF fans don't think Leavitt was. 

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

We'll never find another Leavitt for football again (a head coach who was a Bull in his heart). People like Jose Fernandez are special.

Not dissing Jose Fernandez, but when he has ever been offered a big time job? If you want to talk loyal coaches, look no further than Coach Ken Eriksen. University of Arizona has gone after him. University of Florida has gone after him. Even Arizona State has wanted his services. He's still a Bull though. Played baseball and then coached softball at USF. By far the most loyal coach to USF hands down. They should name the field after him when he retires (he's also taken us further than any coach in any sport when he got our ladies to the College Softball World Series). Jose Fernandez is special - Ken Eriksen is a legend.