• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CWT Interviewing at SC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I highly doubt CWT approached Harlan before interviewing.  I wouldn't approach my boss before interviewing for another job.  It's really not his business. 

I imagine CWT would say that SC contacted him and asked him to interview rather than him coming out and saying he sought after an interview. If that was the case, he'd be a fool to turn that down.  Likely his agent reached out to SC to set something up.

I don't see any negative consequences coming from this at all.  As some have said, this is the way the game is played. For all we know, this may help with recruiting because the big, bad SEC was showing some interest in our coach.  

I'm not worried in the slightest about USF in this situation.  We have an AD who appears to be capable and I'm confident he will handle this correctly.  We will be fine.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Taggart will huddle the boys before today's practice and explain he did do the interview, listened to what they had to say, and will tell team he likes things here at USF just fine.  Team will be stronger because of all this.

Would you believe that if you were in that huddle?

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I said this in another thread but it also deserves to be said here:

It's not the same situation as it was with Holtz,  it's exactly the opposite. Holtz had a good season with Leavitt's players, not his own. CWT built this team and the majority of them will be in place for the next two years. So the odds of them magically crapping the bed next season are slim. 

Some of us are about to miss out on something good because we got burned in the past. Just because this situation reminds you of your ex, doesn't mean she'll hurt you the same. 

This season started "bad"   because we weren't executing just yet. Watching those games hurt because we could see that, not because we played horribly. Bullspeners hear what they want to hear, so what you heard or suspect is irrelevant. What matters is what you've seen, and that's a winning team. 

The indication is he wants to get paid what he's worth. What did we pay sorry Holtz? What is the UCif coach who 's never been a head coach making?  And you believe you can sit this coach down and say "give me a little more at a discount THEN I'll pay you what you're worth?"  That's ridiculous, we didn't go 6-6, we didn't squeak out wins, we didn't get lucky... We clicked and dominated with a good opportunity to end with a 9-4 record... C'mon man!!! Get the feelings out the way and pay the man. He just wants to feel financially appreciated. 

I'm not his son or his agent I just can recognize a good thing when  see one. 

Good points.  We gambled on Taggart, I think, because we could afford him while buying out Holtz.  We don't know what the main drivers are behind our new found success, but we can't blame Taggart for the losses, but not give him credit for the wins (and as you noted, since the sloppy ECU win, we've scored 51/game...against 2 winning teams, and v UCF, we took the foot off the pedal late).

If I'm Taggart, I look at UCF's HC $$, and say, I think I deserve that, at least, and add bonuses for accomplishments.  Maybe even built in trigger raises based on certain success. And...a FAT buy out in case someone poaches him.  You can't (and shouldn't) keep from leaving for more $$.  But you can make it steep for the suitor to poach him, and use those funds to land a big time replacement.

i have soured on cwt as a person

such a blatant disrespect for usf simply rubs me the wrong way

cwt has shown his true colors

Seriously?  He didn't sneak away (see Rich Rod), and just met with them to discuss an opportunity.  If a company called me to offer 2X pay, I'd talk to them. I'd tell my boss I am not looking to leave, and this wasn't pursued, but I want to hear them out. I doubt Harlan wasn't aware.  And, BTW, almost every coach LEFT somewhere to get to the next gig.  

I'd think Taggart was silly if he didn't.  He has leverage.  Harlan could have said, "Don't do it, we'll pay you".  I doubt he did...maybe because he's not afraid of losing Taggart (either believes USC won't hire him, or that we can replace him quickly if they did).

This is capitalism, and he has to look out for himself & his family.  You want to keep your coach from listening to others?  Don't pay him half of what you paid a horrible Holtz coach to NOT coach here!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Anyone here would do the same.

I don't believe anyone who says they would turn down an interview for a job that may pay them a million more than they already make unless they already have a few hundred million. 

It's hilarious to see people saying they lost respect for Taggart because of this. 

It's better to be the school with the hot coach instead of the hot seat for once. 

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 4

Smazza doesn't want people to increase their income unless they sue to do so.

ZING!

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

This thread is comical, Taggart is only guaranteed to make a million dollars next year and that is it. Absolutely no guarantees after that... Why would he not take a 5 year $15 million guaranteed contract for his family? Taggart would be an idiot not to take it. 

• Upvote 3

The funny thing is reading some comments from Cocks fans on some of these articles about CWT interviewing.

if they did hire him, reading the fanbase meltdowns would at least be fun.

Any one have a good link for the SC blog. Curious what they are saying.