• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GoUSFBulls.com: Scott Names Bohanon Bulls' Starter At Quarterback

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

40 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

So if I'm Timmy, I'm probably upset that this was advertised as a "competition," and then when Gerry was announced it became a "competition that I lost"

(I know this is a hypothetical you were making but I'm still addressing it regardless)

The writing was on the wall for Timmy once a Big12 winning QB, who led a turnaround from a 2 win season, transferred in....but I think it's completely fair to still call it a competition if the coaches wanted to see the two in camp before officially making the decision.

GB was injured last year and that's part of why he lost the job.  Maybe the coaches wanted to see a bunch of practices to not only make sure he was healthy but that his mindset/personality was still a good fit for the team.

A short QB competition was really the only answer.  A longer competition would have really been unfair to both QBs and declaring GB as the starter without even working him out with players would have been more of an insult to McClain.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

1 minute ago, Ghostbuster said:

(I know this is a hypothetical you were making but I'm still addressing it regardless)

The writing was on the wall for Timmy once a Big12 winning QB, who led a turnaround from a 2 win season, transferred in....but I think it's completely fair to still call it a competition if the coaches wanted to see the two in camp before officially making the decision.

GB was injured last year and that's part of why he lost the job.  Maybe the coaches wanted to see a bunch of practices to not only make sure he was healthy but that his mindset/personality was still a good fit for the team.

A short QB competition was really the only answer.  A longer competition would have really been unfair to both QBs and declaring GB as the starter without even working him out with players would have been more of an insult to McClain.

I see your point.  Out of all the choices the coaching staff had on how they might handle this delicate situation, the choice they picked was probably the best option.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,350
  • Days Won:  5

My biggest concern here is that both were taking snaps with the starters. What happens if GB gets injured? Who’s next? I’m very concerned that the coaches didn’t handle this well at all. When you look at the media days , Timmy was all for it. Whatever makes the team better. Now this? This is a head scratcher. Why the hell didn’t he bail when Caden Fortin was announced starter last year? Weird stuff man.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

3 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

My biggest concern here is that both were taking snaps with the starters. What happens if GB gets injured? Who’s next? I’m very concerned that the coaches didn’t handle this well at all. When you look at the media days , Timmy was all for it. Whatever makes the team better. Now this? This is a head scratcher. Why the hell didn’t he bail when Caden Fortin was announced starter last year? Weird stuff man.

We speculate Timmy was ok with it, based on his responses at media days. His transfer indicates otherwise.

I'm ok with Marsh and Brown as backups. We can also tap into the transfer portal to bring someone else in with a little more experience. I'm curious where McClain winds up. I wish nothing but the best for him.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

8 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Because he was a true freshman last season and wasn't the incumbent starter. From his father's comments, it is clear that Timmy was not happy with USF bringing in Gerry. Timmy said the right things publicly. He may not have even minded the competition, but he might have also felt that he won it this year, especially considering the fact that he was here the year prior. The fact that he was getting snaps with the starters indicates that it was being treated like an open competition. We will likely never know all of the ins and outs, but there is nothing we can do now but move on with the guys that we have. I don't have any criticism for the way we observed the coaching staff handling this situation publicly. I don't think it is fair to criticize them at all without something more concrete to base it upon. 

Edited by BullyPulpit
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,976
  • Days Won:  12

18 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Will Turner on his podcast pointed out that K marsh looked really good at scrimmage and was pushing Timmy anyway... also they're really high on Brown. I think we have really good depth here 

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

Gerry is a Junior, right?  Everyone is talking about Timmy redshirting for the starting job down the road.  Maybe he is seeing the writing on the wall that even after Bohannon leaves, if Brown is looking like the next coming, then he's still going to be the odd man out.  Obviously injuries can throw all of that out the window but he may be thinking there is no longer a clear path to being the starter.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,747
  • Content Count:  37,637
  • Days Won:  29

4 minutes ago, BullsWinBucsWin said:

Gerry is a Junior, right?  Everyone is talking about Timmy redshirting for the starting job down the road.  Maybe he is seeing the writing on the wall that even after Bohannon leaves, if Brown is looking like the next coming, then he's still going to be the odd man out.  Obviously injuries can throw all of that out the window but he may be thinking there is no longer a clear path to being the starter.  

True . . . but there is really never a clear path.

I expect USF and most teams to get 2 scholarship QB's each recruiting class.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,471
  • Days Won:  13

22 minutes ago, BullsWinBucsWin said:

Gerry is a 5th year Junior - 4 years at Baylor. He has this year and next because of the COVID 6th year.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,876
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, jchem1995 said:

There was no good way to handle the situation once they landed GB, I think they picked the best option but in the end the only thing that would have kept Timmy here is if they named him the starter which would have been a mistake.  It would have been different if we had success last year, however we did not (not all blame on Timmy) so we upgraded.  Every great coach is trying to improve each position every year, that is the name of the game.  Btw not calling CJS great but this was a great move, believe it will rival letting Q be Q.