• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GoUSFBulls.com: Scott Names Bohanon Bulls' Starter At Quarterback

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,546
  • Days Won:  28

Here is Gerry throwing to his old teammates trying our for the NFL during Baylor's pro-day. This was in March. The WRs were saying he has more zip on his throws. They weren't using the QB that won the Baylor job in April. They trusted Gerry to throw them the ball for their NFL tryouts. That says it all right there. 

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

40 minutes ago, E.T. said:

True . . . but there is really never a clear path.

I expect USF and most teams to get 2 scholarship QB's each recruiting class.

Right, but I'm guessing it looks a whole lot more difficult than when he originally signed with us.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  772

2 hours ago, E.T. said:

And yesterday USF releases about Gerry being a Preseason Candidate for an award . . . seems they were cuddling Timmy in some way.

Sometimes that is the worst thing you can do.

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

IMO, Gerry was viewed as the frontrunner, but there was still a competition taking place. If Gerry came in and couldn't learn the playbook, click with teammates, or show leadership, then Timmy was there to continue as the starter. I think the coaches realized what they had with Timmy following the Spring Game and that is why the decision was made as well. Timmy had a chance to elevate his game further when Gerry came on the scene. There may have been some complacency with just Marsh (who was looking for a new home prior to the Spring) behind him. We don't know how all of this played out, but I am interested to hear CJS's comments around 11 am today. I am sure he won't talk about Timmy much other than to say he is no longer with the team, it was a close competition, and he wishes him well. Then he will turn to lauding Gerry and saying that they are confident in Marsh as the backup.  

If it was a close competition, did Timmy’s game improve compared to the spring game or is GB at the same level? Something to ponder.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

1 minute ago, CycleBull said:

If it was a close competition, did Timmy’s game improve compared to the spring game or is GB at the same level? Something to ponder.

Well, GB won. We don't know how close "close" was. We will never really know, but listening to Meech talk about GB now, it would appear that GB inspires those around him. 

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Well, GB won. We don't know how close "close" was. We will never really know, but listening to Meech talk about GB now, it would appear that GB inspires those around him. 

It’s the leadership factor that if I remember correctly Timmy was working on last season. In a team sport and vocal role that matters.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I have not read the entire thread.  I would rather have seen McClain stay and fight it out this year and beyond, or at least this year. One injury and he would probably be in there.  But if he wants to go into the portal now that is his decision.  

Timmy seems to have handled it well.  The issue I have is with his father making his public statements.  It does not help his son in any way.  If anything, other coaches will at least be a bit wary of a helicopter parent.  Jr is an adult. Give him advice, but don't live his life for him and make it about you.  That never turns out well. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

6 minutes ago, CycleBull said:

It’s the leadership factor that if I remember correctly Timmy was working on last season. In a team sport and vocal role that matters.

For sure. QF and Tim Tebow weren't the most gifted QBs, but they knew how to lead and inspire and get 100% from their teammates. Meech just eluded to that fact about QF in the press conference. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,541
  • Days Won:  3

A few nights ago, and I may have heard this entire conversation wrong, I was waking my dog around the neighborhood and I heard a group of guys talking. One was clearly upset, but the other guy was saying Gary has more power than you, Gary is faster than you.

It may not have even been about Gerry Bohanon and Timmy. I didn’t get a look at either person. I just thought it was an odd occurrence. Maybe I heard Timmy and someone else talking about the QB competition?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,471
  • Days Won:  13