• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Athletic article on what has gone wrong at USF and can it be fixed.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,851
  • Days Won:  67

11 hours ago, Sk00b said:

But did he really? Pretty sure the 30+ or whatever years of existence got us here. He's just picking up the pile of **** along the way. 

It appears he is rolling around in the **** from my perspective.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,581
  • Days Won:  29

On 4/20/2022 at 10:44 AM, bulloni said:

Jimbo left FSU because of the facilities. I remember reading FSU fans thinking big facility upgrades weren't needed because Bowden and Jimbo had both won with what they had.

I think Leavitt (and to an extent Flowers) contributed to this mindset with our fanbase. Leavitt winning so much with so little may have warped the mindset of the admin and the fanbase of the investment necessary to continue that trajectory. It seems like we have a good understanding now of what needs to change at least and are doing what we can to fix it

Reminds me of Hugh Culverhouse with the Bucs . . . 

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

The Sheriff was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

When I was in Tampa a few weeks back, I spent over an hour talking with Allen Mogridge. I haven't met someone with that much passion since being around Coach Leavitt. Now many of you know that I wasn't a big Leavitt fan - we clashed heads a lot on the field - and maybe it's because we were both so passionate about USF. Leavitt was getting paid to produce whereas I was just trying to leave every ounce of blood on the field for him and the school that I love - and yet Leavitt always wanted more. It makes sense to me now - back then though, I was more fired up with him that he didn't realize there wasn't anymore to give (as much as I would have given more if that additional talent existed).

That time spent with Mogridge made me want to run through a brick wall for him like I would have done for Leavitt two decades ago. He was a no-BS, straight shooter. He said if they don't produce this season that they should be fired. He said three years isn't always enough to get the results WE expect, however he understands that coaching is a business and you can't continue to produce the results we're producing and still have a job. You don't gain a lot of insight from coaches in brief encounters - you can pick apart their politics, learn briefly about their upbringing and family (his daughter is a top notch volleyball player headed to UNC) and maybe you have time to discuss where they played ball at previously.

However what stood out to me most was the fact he believes in accountability - and the buck stopped with him when the O-Line fails. He was pretty intense - and he was pretty intense about getting revenge for the losses last year where we can do the South Florida flip (anyone remember that old saying from the board?). If the players buy into the system like Mogridge has, we should see results. If they don't, we'll be looking at another new coaching staff.  

• Go Bulls! 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,298
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, The Sheriff said:

When I was in Tampa a few weeks back, I spent over an hour talking with Allen Mogridge. I haven't met someone with that much passion since being around Coach Leavitt. Now many of you know that I wasn't a big Leavitt fan - we clashed heads a lot on the field - and maybe it's because we were both so passionate about USF. Leavitt was getting paid to produce whereas I was just trying to leave every ounce of blood on the field for him and the school that I love - and yet Leavitt always wanted more. It makes sense to me now - back then though, I was more fired up with him that he didn't realize there wasn't anymore to give (as much as I would have given more if that additional talent existed).

That time spent with Mogridge made me want to run through a brick wall for him like I would have done for Leavitt two decades ago. He was a no-BS, straight shooter. He said if they don't produce this season that they should be fired. He said three years isn't always enough to get the results WE expect, however he understands that coaching is a business and you can't continue to produce the results we're producing and still have a job. You don't gain a lot of insight from coaches in brief encounters - you can pick apart their politics, learn briefly about their upbringing and family (his daughter is a top notch volleyball player headed to UNC) and maybe you have time to discuss where they played ball at previously.

However what stood out to me most was the fact he believes in accountability - and the buck stopped with him when the O-Line fails. He was pretty intense - and he was pretty intense about getting revenge for the losses last year where we can do the South Florida flip (anyone remember that old saying from the board?). If the players buy into the system like Mogridge has, we should see results. If they don't, we'll be looking at another new coaching staff.  

He sounds like he gets it unlike some of the nonsense people think year 1 wasn't CJS's first year coaching and he is really in year 2. Now CJL is gone, we see him he did way more with less than these guys since. I have heard some things similar from other former players, but he had all of the former players ready to go battle and lay it all down on the field. You guys were not getting embarrassed by inferior programs on the regular and you guys were beating top 25 teams. The effort has not been in the games from the coaches plans or the players. Lackluster play calling on both sides of the ball and not tailoring the team to fit the talent seems to be a key issue no one wants to talk about. If you have undersized and fast players on offense, why would the OC  not use motion  or more spread formations to run quick short routes? If you know the oline is average at best, why try to run deep routes a lot  instead running short routes such as slants, screens, and curls? If you have a lack luster pass rush, why would a DC play the backs to 5 to 8 yards off the line and basically give to 5 to 10 yards free for every catch? I have heard the Oline talk and he seems to be the only guy from the staff that really has passion and will light a fire underneath the players rear.  Maybe CJS will take notes from CJL and  Mogridge and find his inner fire on the sidelines. We have a new OC and DC and they do not really have to do much to be an improvement from the bottom of college football ranks. Lets hope they get it right.

• Crying 1

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  3

I still think of CJL were coaching us now, that our teams would have trailed off (maybe not as bad as we are looking now). Bottom line is we need those facilities or we cannot recruit.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

4 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

I still think of CJL were coaching us now,

george-harrison-when-we-was-fab.gif

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

4 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

This is the honest truth and I hope that message is being conveyed to the players. "If we don't win this year you'll have a whole new coaching staff next year and who knows if they'll want to keep you or burry you on the depth chart and try to get you to transfer"

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

17 minutes ago, bulloni said:

This is the honest truth and I hope that message is being conveyed to the players. "If we don't win this year you'll have a whole new coaching staff next year and who knows if they'll want to keep you or burry you on the depth chart and try to get you to transfer"

I see what you are saying, but there is no accountability for the football program right now.  Thanks to the ridiculous extension he signed, Scott could go 0-12 this season and still be back in 2023, in my humble opinion.  I doubt he would fire most of his staff if the team tanks this season, since he already has brought in two new coordinators and I would guess he wouldn't want to go into a criticial year in 2023 with a majority of his coaching staff being new.

Edited by USFRaider

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

I definitely see him getting poached. He's one of the coaches that gets a lot of "shout outs" from the recruits. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I definitely see him getting poached. He's one of the coaches that gets a lot of "shout outs" from the recruits. 

If McClain is running for his life again this season, I would be fine with that.