• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Athletic article on what has gone wrong at USF and can it be fixed.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

37 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Or, did the dreaded covid actually make us keep players on scholarship (ex year) that we needed gone so those slots could be filled with higher caliber players..Hmm?🤔Which then set us back another season at certain positions...?? Makes one wonder don't one???         But now---? We just need to go win some games. No excuses just hit the field and go kick some ass. 

Time will tell if the extra year was an advantage or not.  Without the extra year, we would have 3 new starters on the Oline.  Maybe that’s a good thing or maybe it’s not.  Either way, I do agree that we need to win and no more excuses.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

12 hours ago, puc86 said:

Well then that doesn’t bode very well for CJS’ current strategy for building back better

OH NO!!!! NOT the Dreaded BBB...............!!!                Maybe go with-Building Better Forever😉😉

guy falling stairs.gif

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Let's face it, he portal has changed CFB for the better. Now it's a total different group f kids transferring for whatever reason and they no longer have to waste their career behind a coach that doesn't wants to play him.  

Ooof...I don't think CFB is better for all the new portal transfer rules (like playing immediately).

It certainly seems better for the students, but I think it hurts more schools now than before.  Alabama and the big boys are okay because even if a stud transfers out quickly, you can turn around and get someone else yourself easily. 

But how about AAC schools or even lower level P5s?  It's hard enough to get someone to sign, and now they can really quickly and easily transfer out? The school makes a commitment, planning on a key piece of the puzzle being in place for a while...then bam!  A better school has an immediate opening and poaches from you.  From the poachers perspective, if the kid had to sit out a year (old way) you are wasting a scholarship on someone who can't contribute, and you have less incentive to do it.  Now that barrier is gone and the kid also has less reason to worry about not seeing the field, he is being poached to play right away.  

So I see it as (more often than not) hurting schools that aren't the big "name brands".

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

19 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I’ll jump in here.  I’ve scaled back a lot of my posting on TBP because frankly I saw myself becoming very jaded and cynical when it comes to all things USF athletics and I didn’t like it.  My wife and I both graduated from USF, we’re both alumni for life, we have season tickets to football, we donated some to the IPF and we will make an occasional away game roadie and we generally love the  University and the Bulls, however, the perpetual losing in all sports that matter, getting passed by Oviedo, getting snubbed by the B12 and the blanket contract extensions has worn me down.  I realize there are a lot of positives happening off the filed/court but the on field/court performance across the board is awful. Yes I’m being cynical again lol.  I see nothing in the upcoming sports year that tells me anything will different and  I’m also being told that a losing record in football…AGAIN should be seen as progress.

With that being said, I’ll be in my seats for BYU hoping things will different but not expecting it

Go Bulls!

Nope-Dont see cynical at all I see truth. Just think how tough you've become being a USF Fan..Ain't easy. If your a diehard USF Fan, a person can handle anything thrown at them in life....well, possibly not a nuke attack?? But, another football/basketball season...cake walk. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,539

1 hour ago, Ghostbuster said:

Ooof...I don't think CFB is better for all the new portal transfer rules (like playing immediately).

It certainly seems better for the students, but I think it hurts more schools now than before.  Alabama and the big boys are okay because even if a stud transfers out quickly, you can turn around and get someone else yourself easily. 

But how about AAC schools or even lower level P5s?  It's hard enough to get someone to sign, and now they can really quickly and easily transfer out? The school makes a commitment, planning on a key piece of the puzzle being in place for a while...then bam!  A better school has an immediate opening and poaches from you.  From the poachers perspective, if the kid had to sit out a year (old way) you are wasting a scholarship on someone who can't contribute, and you have less incentive to do it.  Now that barrier is gone and the kid also has less reason to worry about not seeing the field, he is being poached to play right away.  

So I see it as (more often than not) hurting schools that aren't the big "name brands".

Liberty had a great run these past few years with a TRANSFER QB that is going to be drafted in the NFL. The same with Jacksonville State who beat FSU last year. To me it will simply distribute the talent throughout all of college football better. Alabama and all of these big time schools will no longer be able to stockpile talent and sit on it. Wasting a 4 star player's career away b/c he couldn't beat out another 4/5 star player. That's how the game goes now. I am excited about the playing field being more leveled now. A college football coach is ALWAYS trying to replace you with a better player. That's his job. So I'm happy the athlete get to find a BETTER situation. 

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,047
  • Days Won:  38

3 hours ago, BulledOver said:

OH NO!!!! NOT the Dreaded BBB...............!!!                Maybe go with-Building Better Forever😉😉

guy falling stairs.gif

That looks like Pete Campbell:
BeneficialAcrobaticGerbil-max-1mb.gif

When-He-Trudy-Show-Off-Super-Square-Danc

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  402
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Liberty had a great run these past few years with a TRANSFER QB that is going to be drafted in the NFL. The same with Jacksonville State who beat FSU last year. To me it will simply distribute the talent throughout all of college football better. Alabama and all of these big time schools will no longer be able to stockpile talent and sit on it. Wasting a 4 star player's career away b/c he couldn't beat out another 4/5 star player. That's how the game goes now. I am excited about the playing field being more leveled now. A college football coach is ALWAYS trying to replace you with a better player. That's his job. So I'm happy the athlete get to find a BETTER situation. 

The Alabama's can't just stockpile their bench, but the counter to that is that they can still poach established players from lower level schools. 3 year All American starter at a G5 school with aspirations for a bigger stage (and NIL cash) gets the call from the Bama tier of schools and jumps in 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,471
  • Days Won:  13

10 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

The Alabama's can't just stockpile their bench, but the counter to that is that they can still poach established players from lower level schools. 3 year All American starter at a G5 school with aspirations for a bigger stage (and NIL cash) gets the call from the Bama tier of schools and jumps in 

That only happens if the player is coming back from an injury (see Dillion Gabriel or McKenzsie Milton).  3 year All-American starter at a G5 school will go to the NFL, not waste another year (and risk injury) in college.  Take away the All-American and make it just an every-day starter, that player might explore options... (although I don't have an example for this kind of player).

54 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Most of the players they are poaching are older players. You have to prove yourself at your last school before they take you. Which means that player has already contributed a lot. I can live with that. We will find somebody in the portal as well. Maybe take the best FCS player like we did with Jonathan Ross or a great player from another P5 like MVS.