• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Athletic article on what has gone wrong at USF and can it be fixed.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,395
  • Days Won:  3

134 days... yikes. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

14 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

A win against BYU on opening day would do wonders for this team and fanbase.

I think even a respectable loss would do some good considering our last three FBS openers. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I’m also being told that a losing record in football…AGAIN should be seen as progress.

Progress is measured in a lot of ways.  A lot of people here only have one single yard stick for progress, and because of that they can be woefully disappointed when the team fails to meet that one singular measure.

I am as interested in seeing player development... gameplan changes with the new coaches... will fans come back post-COVID... and maybe more.

Will it suck if we go 5-7?  That's hard to actually say... Going 5-7 but beating UCF and losing close in most of the other losses might be seen as progress... If USF faces the injury bug that some teams face from time to time, that could play a big part given our current "depth".  (Like what if we lose two QBs early in the season?).

I will not say here and now that sub .500 will be progress, because it how and why matters.  Just as I won't say that only a winning record will be progress.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Cubanbull said:

Too many on here are focusing on the past. Mistakes were done by the leadership, no doubt, but we can reposted over and over on this board and it accomplishes nothing.

Right now I’m more interested in what are we doing to improve in our present and future. This is the only thing that matters and will change our present situation.

I see positive signs in football, with the IPF, OCS and Football Operations Facility. Now it needs to trend towards winning on the field. I know some of you think 4-8 and 5-7 are not improvements but they are from the dregs that we are. You must crawl before you can walk or run. 

How long does it take to start crawling? At what point should .500 be a reasonable goal? Year 5 of a rebuild? Since people brought up UCF they went 0-12, fired their coach and went .500 and bowling the following year. The next year they were undefeated, how far below .000 did CJS find this team that it is reasonably acceptable to not even sniff .500 in a season after three years?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

How long does it take to start crawling? At what point should .500 be a reasonable goal? Year 5 of a rebuild? Since people brought up UCF they went 0-12, fired their coach and went .500 and bowling the following year. The next year they were undefeated, how far below .000 did CJS find this team that it is reasonably acceptable to not even sniff .500 in a season after three years?

6-6 and is definitely a reasonable goal for 2022 - which is technically year 3, but in practice is a lot more like year 2 when you factor in how little the team could actually practice and play together as a full team in 2020... no spring practice, very little summer camp, lots of covid isolations/quarantines, etc.  You can't progress unless you can practice together as a team.  So 2020 to 2021 there was no progress... But 2021 to 2022 there has to be progress... and while making a bowl game is not the ONLY goal, it is most definitely reasonable and achievable given the schedule and the team.

• Like 3

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

25 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

6-6 and is definitely a reasonable goal for 2022 - which is technically year 3, but in practice is a lot more like year 2 when you factor in how little the team could actually practice and play together as a full team in 2020... no spring practice, very little summer camp, lots of covid isolations/quarantines, etc.  You can't progress unless you can practice together as a team.  So 2020 to 2021 there was no progress... But 2021 to 2022 there has to be progress... and while making a bowl game is not the ONLY goal, it is most definitely reasonable and achievable given the schedule and the team.

By CJS own admission, with all of the new transfer rules, a coach can rebuild a lot quicker with fully developed college players than having to rely on the development of high school recruits.  6-6 in year 3 should be the floor.  Sorry, the Covid excuse cuts both ways.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

5 hours ago, puc86 said:

perhaps if we stopped failing for a day we can find a new horse to beat

I can't wait until we start winning, but not by enough, and we beat that horse!

• Crying 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, Brad said:

I can't wait until we start winning, but not by enough, and we beat that horse!

Yep.  I sure wish we could go back to ******** about an 8-4 season 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

But look at how good it turned out when we legitimized them and embraced an inferior rival, certainly seeing the fruits of that marriage had to sway your position and think if only we had done this sooner and longer just think where we would be now…

Forever to be known as the "package deal"!  That certainly makes the list of major F ups.

4 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

We should stop with the coach blaming and focus on the real issue here.

This is a school\admin problem. THEY need to be blamed.

11 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

By CJS own admission, with all of the new transfer rules, a coach can rebuild a lot quicker with fully developed college players than having to rely on the development of high school recruits.  6-6 in year 3 should be the floor.  Sorry, the Covid excuse cuts both ways.

This is the first season with the new transfer rules...  but I am not sure how covid "cuts both ways".  You're saying that less practice together as a team should somehow make the team better?

Edited by Jim Johnson