• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Athletic article on what has gone wrong at USF and can it be fixed.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  956
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

By CJS own admission, with all of the new transfer rules, a coach can rebuild a lot quicker with fully developed college players than having to rely on the development of high school recruits

I get the logic in that statement, but would pump the brakes on it. The players are generally transferring for a number of different reasons. I have only seen very few transfers really pan out, most were disappointments. If they were that good, they would most likely still be playing for the school that originally signed them.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

12 minutes ago, michibull said:

I get the logic in that statement, but would pump the brakes on it. The players are generally transferring for a number of different reasons. I have only seen very few transfers really pan out, most were disappointments. If they were that good, they would most likely still be playing for the school that originally signed them.

Well then that doesn’t bode very well for CJS’ current strategy for building back better

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,471
  • Days Won:  13

57 minutes ago, CycleBull said:

Y’all act like 6-6 is the easy obtainable goal. Maybe that’s the max goal?

Not really... I think the max would be 9-2 ... and the minimum would be 4-8:

• Likely wins: Howard, East Carolina, at Temple, at Tulsa
  • Possible wins: BYU, Tulane, SMU
  • Stretch wins: at Louisville, at Cincinnati, UCF
  • Probably losses: at Florida, at Houston

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,471
  • Days Won:  13

29 minutes ago, michibull said:

We don't need a lot of the transfers to pan out - 2 or 3 would be a significant addition, especially on defense.

But as you said, transfers come in for a number of reasons... from lack of playing time to fear of competing with better P5 players to personal adjustment issues playing so far from home.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,541
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, michibull said:

SMU and Cincinatti begs to differ. They have been doing well with transfers. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  956

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

We don't need a lot of the transfers to pan out - 2 or 3 would be a significant addition, especially on defense.

But as you said, transfers come in for a number of reasons... from lack of playing time to fear of competing with better P5 players to personal adjustment issues playing so far from home.

Lack of playing could mean they’re just not good enough or they’re behind a upper class-men or coaches don’t like them, I would rather stay away from that. Fear of competing, don’t want someone like that on my team. Personal adjustment and far from home I can get down with, but again, you just don’t know what the truth is. 

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

SMU and Cincinatti begs to differ. They have been doing well with transfers. 

When we have as little talent as we do, yes, 2 or 3 will help significantly. Sure SMU and Cincy are doing well, but that is 2 schools out of how many. My only point is, there are many more busts than successes with the transfer model (There are endless guys like this for USF, Mike Ford, Darrell Scott, etc) Just like pro teams, the best programs are built on HS recruited players who want to be apart of you team even when they have other options (draft) and topped off with transfer here and there (free agent) players. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  772

8 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Not really... I think the max would be 9-2 ... and the minimum would be 4-8:

• Likely wins: Howard, East Carolina, at Temple, at Tulsa
  • Possible wins: BYU, Tulane, SMU
  • Stretch wins: at Louisville, at Cincinnati, UCF
  • Probably losses: at Florida, at Houston

I guess if we are on the field we have the opportunity to win them all.  Go Bulls.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

12 hours ago, puc86 said:

I will cry tears of joy while pretending to be outraged by style points or point spreads

I will give you a tissue and if someone starts talking about CJL did this all the time with less, it was not us.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,541
  • Days Won:  28

7 hours ago, michibull said:

Lack of playing could mean they’re just not good enough or they’re behind a upper class-men or coaches don’t like them, I would rather stay away from that. Fear of competing, don’t want someone like that on my team. Personal adjustment and far from home I can get down with, but again, you just don’t know what the truth is. 

When we have as little talent as we do, yes, 2 or 3 will help significantly. Sure SMU and Cincy are doing well, but that is 2 schools out of how many. My only point is, there are many more busts than successes with the transfer model (There are endless guys like this for USF, Mike Ford, Darrell Scott, etc) Just like pro teams, the best programs are built on HS recruited players who want to be apart of you team even when they have other options (draft) and topped off with transfer here and there (free agent) players. 

Independent Liberty with Coach Freeze had Malik Willis transfer there and they probably had their best run. Jacksonville state had a transfer QB and beat FSU. There are MANY teams doing well in the portal. Let's face it, he portal has changed CFB for the better. Now it's a total different group f kids transferring for whatever reason and they no longer have to waste their career behind a coach that doesn't wants to play him.  Don't forget that our BEST TEAM ever had about 2 transfers in MVS and Rodney Adams that had a great impact on those teams. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

14 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I guess I wasn’t  clear.  I was referring to the extra year of eligibility with Covid.  There were both challenges  and advantages  with Covid.  The lack of practice tIme was a challenge but being able to get an extra year of eligibility was a plus.  So between players now immediately eligible thorough the portal and an extra year of eligibility due to Covid coaches are able to rebuild a program much quicker by CJS own admission.  I guess if we beat Florida and Oviedo I would consider 5-7 successful but to not get your program to 6-6 by year 3 should throw up a red flag.

For the record, I’m not for firing him if we don’t get to 6-6.

Or, did the dreaded covid actually make us keep players on scholarship (ex year) that we needed gone so those slots could be filled with higher caliber players..Hmm?🤔Which then set us back another season at certain positions...?? Makes one wonder don't one???         But now---? We just need to go win some games. No excuses just hit the field and go kick some ass. 

• Upvote 1