• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on Jeff Scott, as potential coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

We'll see... unfortunately, the pattern continues... Scott has had opportunities. Seems like he slow-played MK to see if he could get a better job, so, I suspect he'll bolt for that better job as soon as he gets a chance if he has success here... or, he will fail, like Skip/Charlie and we'll have to fire him and start again.

If MK is here for the long haul and can hit on hire after hire, we can do the rental thing. As long as each guy is successful... Great! But, it only takes about 2 years to tear down a good foundation. Skip inherited a team with a promising QB and top 30 defense. Year 1 was fine, but, it went down hill from there. CCS inherited a top-5 QB in all of college football. Year 1, Q carried the team, but, after that, it has been all down hill.

Hopefully Scott can turn in around. Will he be able to recruit to USF? I suspect that wearing those NC rings will help and telling players how he helped develop Etienne (sp?), Watson, Lawrence, Higgins, Renfrow, etc... guys that our current recruits have been watching in the playoffs for the last several years.

Does Scott have a connection with McCloud already with his brother being at Clemson? How involved was he with Clemson's OL? What is his work schedule going to be going into the playoffs? Does he recruit hard for us over the next 8-9 days and then head back to Clemson to finish the season with them (honestly, I think I'd be more impressed if he does, even though it hurts us to an extent maybe). What kind of staff is he going to bring in? Is he going to watch film from this year to see what he has to work with (I pity him)?

Leavitt was my number 1 choice and I still wish USF had gone that route, but, I am open to seeing what Scott can do. Maybe he strikes gold and wants to stay here where he can work with his dad. Who knows. I'll just be happy if he puts a team on the field that plays the game with passion and if I can tell by watching him on the sidelines that he actually cares a little bit... that would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

We shall see how he does....he doesnt have the name Clemson to recruit for so that will make things tougher.

I don't know much about Clemsons offense it better be a spread type of offense. 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

In line with the question of the OP, I am happy with the hire mostly because this appears to be MK's guy. I don't think Jeff Scott was MK's 3rd or 4th choice. 

I wan't real happy with how MK handled CCS & Gilbert last year. I thought the whole process was either naive or disingenuous. However, realistically, based on Harlan's work with CCS's contract, MK's hands were probably tied and he was likely making the best out of a mess he inherited. 

I suspect Jim Leavitt would have been a fine hire but I suspect if MK had his druthers, he was going to go with someone young and completely new. 

Things are looking up in Men's Basketball and finally now, with this hire, MK can finally close the book on the past and be graded on how he handles things. 

With MK's PR, I suspect he will show respect to both Leavitt and CWT for the positives they have brought to this program in some form. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

The guy is from Clemson... one of the top, absolute ELITE, absolute peak National Championship teams going back nearly 10 years

The road to the College Football National Championship, goes through Clemson. 

Look at this tradition... we don't have anything that holds a candle to this 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679

I like the hire, he will probably bolt but there's really not that many that wouldn't and I don't think three can be a strong case made that those would be better fits anyway. He recruits well, more importantly he recruits offense well. I didn't think MK could convince him to come but cheers to him. I guess his connection to the area helped out a lot. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

Since major outlets seem to be in agreement about “Jeff Scott coming to USF”....what are your thoughts on him (assuming he signs on the dotted line)?

I don’t know if it’s fallout from the wacky “Leavitt watch of 2019” or what, but I’m not really excited by his potential hiring.  I don’t want to knock a guy before he arrives, but the lack of head coaching experience and title of “co” offensive coordinator worries me a bit (especially since he doesn’t doesn’t handle play calling).  While he’s been recognized as a good recruiter, that’s been for a team that plays for national championships.  

Anyone want to help me see the light?  Or do others feel the same?

I think it is a great hire...I would have been fine with CJL, Elliott or Scott...he was at the point where he is going to get a hc gig and he is a excellent recruiter in Florida...

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

Why the hell would he keep either coordinator?

Defense was improved and improving. Why start over? KB has a HC that is also an OC. If they combine their talents the offense could be fixed. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679

19 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

We'll see... unfortunately, the pattern continues... Scott has had opportunities. Seems like he slow-played MK to see if he could get a better job, so, I suspect he'll bolt for that better job as soon as he gets a chance if he has success here... or, he will fail, like Skip/Charlie and we'll have to fire him and start again.

He will bolt, but he didnt slow play us. He waited until after his conference championship game and then came on. I know it wasn't as quick as norvell and Kiffen but that's probably because we needed to do a little more convincing than those programs would and he didn't really want o get involved until after the CCG. Seemed pretty standard to me. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

The guy is from Clemson... one of the top, absolute ELITE, absolute peak National Championship teams going back nearly 10 years

The road to the College Football National Championship, goes through Clemson. 

Look at this tradition... we don't have anything that holds a candle to this 

Great tradition, no doubt. Definitely easier to recruit to Clemson than USF. Let's see how he can sell recruits on playing in front of any empty stadium with the wrong color scheme and a pirate ship. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

4 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Defense was improved and improving. Why start over? KB has a HC that is also an OC. If they combine their talents the offense could be fixed. 

Because our program was hot garbage at the end and the new HC may (should) want to start clean.  I could see some position coaches sticking around, but neither coordinator should be here.  IF our defense was "improving", it's because ccs was taking more interest in it because that's the only thing he's really good at ... well that and rocking turtle necks