• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on Jeff Scott, as potential coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

Since major outlets seem to be in agreement about “Jeff Scott coming to USF”....what are your thoughts on him (assuming he signs on the dotted line)?

I don’t know if it’s fallout from the wacky “Leavitt watch of 2019” or what, but I’m not really excited by his potential hiring.  I don’t want to knock a guy before he arrives, but the lack of head coaching experience and title of “co” offensive coordinator worries me a bit (especially since he doesn’t doesn’t handle play calling).  While he’s been recognized as a good recruiter, that’s been for a team that plays for national championships.  

Anyone want to help me see the light?  Or do others feel the same?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

Since major outlets seem to be in agreement about “Jeff Scott coming to USF”....what are your thoughts on him (assuming he signs on the dotted line)?

I don’t know if it’s fallout from the wacky “Leavitt watch of 2019” or what, but I’m not really excited by his potential hiring.  I don’t want to knock a guy before he arrives, but the lack of head coaching experience and title of “co” offensive coordinator worries me a bit (especially since he doesn’t doesn’t handle play calling).  While he’s been recognized as a good recruiter, that’s been for a team that plays for national championships.  

Anyone want to help me see the light?  Or do others feel the same?

It worries me too. If he is such an up and comer, wouldn't he have been hired by Missouri or another p5 school. There have been many misses on hires from great programs. Their last OC that got hired away was Chad Morris and that didn't work out very well. If it comes out that the board of trustees nixed Leavitt, I will have no trust in the program.

• Upvote 1
  • Crying 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, RoyD3 said:

It worries me too. If he is such an up and comer, wouldn't he have been hired by Missouri or another p5 school. There have been many misses on hires from great programs. Their last OC that got hired away was Chad Morris and that didn't work out very well. If it comes out that the board of trustees nixed Leavitt, I will have no trust in the program.

I appreciate all that Leavitt did, but c'mon.  

How many 10 win seasons did he lead the program to?  Many don't seem to remember, but many were happy the scandal broke with him because there was a feeling that Leavitt could not get us over the hump.  He did great in getting us to be a 8-9 win team, but he showed no ability to get a conference title or a prized big bowl berth.  The biggest bowl we got into under him, the team was terribly prepared for.  We were humiliated by Oregon despite being a favorite at the sports books.  

I do think it would be good to restore ties to Leavitt in some way and welcome him back into the program in some way.  He deserves to be honored for how he took us from nothing to competing with some big programs.  But he is not the answer going forward.  

If I were going to take a USF retread, I'd take Taggart.  He was the first to get us to 10 wins - all with his own recruits.  Strong then got to 10 wins the next year with Taggart's guys.

Also Mizzou is not as appealing as you think.  I have many family members who went there and have been to Columbia many, many times.  It's not Tampa and it's a drive to KC and St. Louis.  USF is much closer to recruiting hotbeds.  Scott was also born in Arcadia and his dad graduated from USF.  Being successful at USF is just as good as being successful at Mizzou - and should be easier since we're not in the SEC.  There are many things about USF that are more appealing than Mizzou.  

Edited by macphisto
Adding info
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

I heard Scott is bringing an offensive analyst, and wr coach with him. So we can get rid of Charlie Williams and Burke. Move Kade Bell to QB coach, Keep KB as OC, Shaun King as RB. Scott could replace the WR, TE, OL positions.  Move Auggie Sanchez to special teams coach. Keep BJM and the defensive coaches and boom!....the staff is comeplete! Is it fall 2020 yet? 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I heard Scott is bringing an offensive analyst, and wr coach with him. So we can get rid of Charlie Williams and Burke. Move Kade Bell to QB coach, Keep KB as OC, Shaun King as RB. Scott could replace the WR, TE, OL positions.  Move Auggie Sanchez to special teams coach. Keep BJM and the defensive coaches and boom!....the staff is comeplete! Is it fall 2020 yet? 

Not a terrible idea, but I think there will be a bit more of a shake up. I think you’re right about BJM staying on, if he wants to. The offensive side is where I think movement will be. I think KB looks like a decent recruiter and Scott may need to keep him around to keep some of this class intact. Unless he’s going to bring in a class single-handily, more or less.

We really need him to bring in a good S&C coach as well

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, Vivadiscordia said:

BJM and Shaun King are the only coaches I could see being retained. 

Yeah. The only reason I could see KB staying on is that he seems like the point person on a couple of highly rated prospects. But if Coach Scott comes in and thinks he can do better or save the recruitment that guy is gone 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  484
  • Days Won:  1

There really is no doubt at this point. There's even a team meeting scheduled for 10AM tomorrow. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  484
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Roaming Bull said:

Yeah. The only reason I could see KB staying on is that he seems like the point person on a couple of highly rated prospects. But if Coach Scott comes in and thinks he can do better or save the recruitment that guy is gone 

I hear that, but I also think Jeff Scott's reputation alone should be enough to keep those recruits. I imagine those guys will be excited at the idea of coming to play for the Clemson national championship winning Co-OC.