• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on Jeff Scott, as potential coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I really like this hire because of the reasons you mentioned, but there certainly is some risk here.  He has never had to do it by himself, and lets not fool ourselves, this is a rebuild.  It remains to be seen whether he can get it done here.   We are going to have to give him 2-3 years to know.

But on paper, this looks like a very solid hire to me.  He can recruit (it certainly will be harder here than Clemson), but we are in a fertile recruiting area and he has recruited Florida already very well. He also has USF ties with his Dad.  The Staff that he brings in will be critical to his success.  I hope he has some good connections and gets good advice on this.

Obviously, MK sees something that he likes in this guy, so I'm going to put my trust that MK made the right decision.

Clemson site is reporting he is bringing his dad in as an advisor. pretty good pedigree.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

funny we beat Clemson in a bowl game in his 3rd year there. not sure how "easy" it was to recruit there when he first started

I get it and I'm pulling for him. I know he was part of Clemson's recent rise, but he won't have a lot of the built in advantages he had there. Regardless, hope he can pull in some good recruits and build our overall talent level up. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, usf97 said:

Maybe we can get Dreaj Foge out of the portal. 

Hell I would be happy with Felipe. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

@Bull94

I know you hated the CCS hire from jump and liked the Taggart and Skip (I don't  think anyone disliked that hire initially) hires. What is your take on Scott if he is truly the guy? 

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Clemson site is reporting he is bringing his dad in as an advisor. pretty good pedigree.

We figured that would be the case, but glad to hear that is actually going to happen.  Thats a definate positive!

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647

1 minute ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Hell I would be happy with Felipe. 

I am pretty sure we would all be happy if he could pull in Franks. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 minutes ago, af_bull05 said:

I get it and I'm pulling for him. I know he was part of Clemson's recent rise, but he won't have a lot of the built in advantages he had there. Regardless, hope he can pull in some good recruits and build our overall talent level up. 

That could be said for just about anybody that is brought in.  He obviously is known and has alot of recruiting connections around the State so that should only help his chances of recruiting well here.  Remebmer we don't have to recruit like Clemson, we have to recruit to be the top or very near the top of the AAC each year.  Sounds do-able with this guy.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679

4 minutes ago, usf97 said:

I am pretty sure we would all be happy if he could pull in Franks. 

This board would find a reason to hate it. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Jonesy Bull said:

That could be said for just about anybody that is brought in.  He obviously is known and has alot of recruiting connections around the State so that should only help his chances of recruiting well here.  Remebmer we don't have to recruit like Clemson, we have to recruit to be the top or very near the top of the AAC each year.  Sounds do-able with this guy.

Exactly, contrary to the belief of some, the acc is still better than the aac

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

13 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

@Bull94

I know you hated the CCS hire from jump and liked the Taggart and Skip (I don't  think anyone disliked that hire initially) hires. What is your take on Scott if he is truly the guy? 

I wanted him when we hired Strong. Thought he was the perfect guy to sustain what Taggart started. I lobbied for him back then on this board.

Dabo is a heck of a coach. Love that we are going with an experienced guy from his staff. Coaching is in his blood. Dad was a P5 head coach in the south. Personally I think it will be a home run.

Edited by Bull94