• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on Jeff Scott, as potential coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

15 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Clemson site is reporting he is bringing his dad in as an advisor. pretty good pedigree.

One of the positives I take from this hire. Another positive is that some are saying he was interested in the USF job after CWT left but we hired CCS too fast imo. So to me, he wants to be at USF. So maybe he stays longer than expected if he does well?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Except he only had two losing seasons in 13 years.

Two Clemson guys were at the top of my list. Glad we could pull one of them.

One thing to note about Jeff Scott.  His first job was as the HC of Blythewood HS in South Carolina when he was 26.  

It was the inaugural year of the football program there.

They won the state championship.  He then started coaching in college.

So at 26 he led a first time HS football program to a win in the state championship in Class 3A.

Blythewood hasn't won a championship since.

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I wanted him when we hired Strong. Thought he was the perfect guy to sustain what Taggart started. I lobbied for him back then on this board.

Dabo is a heck of a coach. Love that we are going with an experienced guy from his staff.

This is what excites me.  We are in desperate need of a culture change with this program.  Who better than an offensive guy with recruiting chops from arguably the top program of the land.  

People are already looking for reasons not to like him and why he is going to fail.  I get that people are upset that Leavitt wasn't hired.  Hell, even I was getting on that CJL bandwagon when it looked like he might return.  But the decision has been made, so we might as well get behind him and support him.  He does have alot of work to do.  Glad his Dad is coming for the ride.

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

One thing to note about Jeff Scott.  His first job was as the HC of Blythewood HS in South Carolina when he was 26.  

So at 26 he led a first time HS football program to a win in the state championship in Class 3A.

That is good research. And that is a great attribute for Coach Scott 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  119

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Dabo is a heck of a coach. Love that we are going with an experienced guy from his staff. Coaching is in his blood. Dad was a P5 head coach in the south. Personally I think it will be a home run.

Keep reading in a lot of different threads about his father coming with him. Anybody got any information about his father and his career, or his achievements?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

This is what excites me.  We are in desperate need of a culture change with this program.  Who better than an offensive guy with recruiting chops from arguably the top program of the land.  

People are already looking for reasons not to like him and why he is going to fail.  I get that people are upset that Leavitt wasn't hired.  Hell, even I was getting on that CJL bandwagon when it looked like he might return.  But the decision has been made, so we might as well get behind him and support him.  He does have alot of work to do.  Glad his Dad is coming for the ride.

He literally has been raised to be a head coach of a major college program. Look at his training. 11 years under dabo. His dad was a P5 head coach in the SEC. His dad was on Bobby Bowden's staff for more then a decade.

couldn't be a better fit IMO

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Yeah that is part of the 👻 of Leavitt. It will rear its ugly head every time USF current coach doesn’t succeed. We need this coach to win big to put all this BS to rest imo. When the coach that wins the first ever conference title for USF, he will become the next football legend at USF

Guest Jonesy Bull
5 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Thats an interesting tidbit of information.  Not sure it relates directly to turning us around quickly, but still interesting that he was able to accomplish that for a first year HS program.

3 minutes ago, Sierra048 said:

Keep reading in a lot of different threads about his father coming with him. Anybody got any information about his father and his career, or his achievements?

Offense coach at FSU during their championship years. Graduate from USF. He went on to become South Carolina ‘s coach where he didn’t succeed 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  119

Just now, Bull Daly said:

Offense coach at FSU during their championship years. Graduate from USF. He went on to become South Carolina ‘s coach where he didn’t succeed 

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of any of that. Certainly can't see how that would any kind of negative.