• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

California Governor signs law ; pay for play.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Another thing the athletes will have to do if they are paid is pay taxes so they better take that under consideration. Also they will have to get their own health insurance and most likely will have to pay for surgeries out of pocket at least the part insurance doesn’t cover 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

When I was offered a football scholarship,  my dad and I had man-to-man.  He said, if you accept the scholarship...promise me one thing.   Promise me that when you are finished, and out in the world earning money...you will pay back at least twice what it cost the university.  I did, and continued to do so for many years.

What I find truly sad is, there are guys who make it to the NFL and it’s big paydays...and never give a dime back to their school.

Funny you mention that. I was just thinking the other day that we don't run into former USF athletes at Iron Bull events. Not quite sure I've ever seen one listed in anything showing the people that are.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

Either I am confused or you guys are confused.... from my understanding, the bill says nothing about universities paying players, and allows players to do things such as make youtube channels, sign endorsement deals, do commercials n stuff... What does that have to do with costing USF anything? 

As a free market libertarian millenial, I see nothing wrong with this. The less rules and regulations the better. Let people do as they please. Change my mind. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

10 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

Man, you ran full speed in the wrong direction with my point.  Our stories are similar.  I'm also disabled.  I have been recognized by United Way for my fundraising.  I would just like to help people voluntarily and not have a bunch of hands in my pocket.  It is an arrogance to know better how to spend others' money.

Apologies! 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,336
  • Days Won:  10

Just now, BDYZR said:

Apologies! 

Not necessary, BD.  I didn't clearly communicate.  Not a rare occurrence; just ask my wife.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

https://www.wisn.com/article/badgers-athletic-director-wont-schedule-california-teams-after-new-law/29313166

It looks like not all big programs are in favor of what California is proposing.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

LOL at the people who think this is "liberal" overreach.

It's actually the exact opposite. this is a step in the direction of a free market.

the UCF kicker had to shut down a you tube channel he was running on his own and making money with because of the NCAA.

Not that this law says anything about schools paying players (it doesn't) but it wouldn't mean USF would lose football either. USF could easily pay scholarship players(85) a $10k stipend and just pay our lousy head coach $1.7M per year instead.

anyone who thinks the alabamas and clemsons of the world aren't paying players now is naive

college sports have become so corrupt because of the lack of a free market for players. look at the basketball situation.

when schools and coaches and athletic directors and ncaa officials stop chasing the money and the major sports(basketball and football) start minor leagues where they draft out of high school similar to baseball then we can say that players don't need to be paid.

I don't pay thousands a year to watch charlie strong pace the sidelines

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, WhoRUSF said:

Either I am confused or you guys are confused.... from my understanding, the bill says nothing about universities paying players, and allows players to do things such as make youtube channels, sign endorsement deals, do commercials n stuff... What does that have to do with costing USF anything? 

As a free market libertarian millenial, I see nothing wrong with this. The less rules and regulations the better. Let people do as they please. Change my mind. 

Question, unless a player has a support staff of HUNDREDS from elementary school thru high school and then into college, which player deserves to make millions while that support staff gets ZERO?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I don’t think we have to worry about this law...do we have any players where their likeness will be used outside Tampa??? I think not....