• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

California Governor signs law ; pay for play.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

On 9/30/2019 at 12:38 PM, slick1ru2 said:

College football is a have and have not sport now. It’s all focused on money. And giving players a piece is the right thing in this system.

That's fine, but once college football turns into a another professional league, many fans will leave and therefore the revenue will decrease.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, WhoRUSF said:

A multi billion dollar industry is hardly amateur, are you being serious? 

Dead serious.  The student/athletes are amateurs and should remain so.   

Ask not what your team can do for you, ask what you can do for your team.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I have no idea if this has been brought up yet in the thread since I'm lazy and didn't read it, but the way around this is to give athletes a choice. In baseball, its pretty easy to say if you come to college and that is your choice, you forfeit making money now, but you have an avenue if you choose to take it. MBB can get around this my putting more money into the D-league for guys who think college is crap and want to start earning. Football needs to concede a little to get out in front of this. Open up the draft rules and say a kid is more than welcome to enter the draft at any time OR the NFL needs to create and/or put some money into one of these start-up leagues and tell kids they have a choice. Forfeit the money and go to college or go a different path. Make it wide open and say you pick a) forfeit your earnings for a scholarship or b) stat earning.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,335
  • Days Won:  10

57 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I have no idea if this has been brought up yet in the thread since I'm lazy and didn't read it, but the way around this is to give athletes a choice. In baseball, its pretty easy to say if you come to college and that is your choice, you forfeit making money now, but you have an avenue if you choose to take it. MBB can get around this my putting more money into the D-league for guys who think college is crap and want to start earning. Football needs to concede a little to get out in front of this. Open up the draft rules and say a kid is more than welcome to enter the draft at any time OR the NFL needs to create and/or put some money into one of these start-up leagues and tell kids they have a choice. Forfeit the money and go to college or go a different path. Make it wide open and say you pick a) forfeit your earnings for a scholarship or b) stat earning.

Good point.  I don't know if the NFL is killing all of these other start up leagues, but they sure aren't supporting them.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

Good point.  I don't know if the NFL is killing all of these other start up leagues, but they sure aren't supporting them.

No idea the legalities, but you have a much better chance if you say the player CHOSE to forfeit their rights by taking a scholarship as opposed to another money making option. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

18 minutes ago, JTrue said:

No idea the legalities, but you have a much better chance if you say the player CHOSE to forfeit their rights by taking a scholarship as opposed to another money making option. 

And to add to that, if the athlete took the money making option, he/ she would still be mandated to be enrolled 12 credits per semester. Figure out how to pay for it themselves.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

9 hours ago, JTrue said:

exactly. the nfl and nba(to some extent) have been using colleges as free developmental leagues for too long.

let kids who want to get paid play in some minor league while kids who want an education got to college.

but colleges need to stop chasing the almighty dollar as well.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

When the NCAA stops bringing in $1,000,000,000.00 for ONE basketball tournament, then I'll be all for the players not being able to eat on a Sunday night.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

13 hours ago, BayIslandBull said:

That's fine, but once college football turns into a another professional league, many fans will leave and therefore the revenue will decrease.

Based on what?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, slick1ru2 said:

Based on what?

based on the lack of revenues for the NFL...........oh wait never mind.