• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

California Governor signs law ; pay for play.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I don’t think we have to worry about this law...do we have any players where their likeness will be used outside Tampa??? I think not....

That’s the problem.

With this kind of state law no athlete is going to want to play for us (in FL) and rather sign up for a D-II California school in an attempt to make some $$$.

Recruiting would collapse.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

That’s the problem.

With this kind of state law no athlete is going to want to play for us (in FL) and rather sign up for a D-II California school in an attempt to make some $$$.

Recruiting would collapse.

I'm not sure there are many D-2 athletes that can generate much income selling their likeness.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

I'm not sure there are many D-2 athletes that can generate much income selling their likeness.

I’m sure FCS programs still sell jerseys. Now they can recruit FL kids with something like “imagine your jersey with your name inside of our bookstore for sale and proceeds go to your pocket.” I’d imagine that’s a pretty good selling point to a good high school ball player facing financial difficulties.

Meanwhile, we’re stuck advertising Ray Jay. 🙄

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

Just a couple of observations.

Thought I read somewhere on my phone that the Calif law forbids the NCAA from prohibiting the Calif teams from participating in NCAA tournaments.  That sounds like at least one part of the law that should be winnable in a court case by the NCAA.  They'll probably challenge the whole thing.

As far as getting paid for their likenesses, what would prevent big money donors at 'bama, etc. from producing plastic cups or posters or whatever and paying each player gigantic sums for their likeness?  This isn't a good thing. Pay every player the same.  This just sounds like it is ripe for abuse - even more than we have now.

• Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Make everyone happy.

Pay the athletes or allow them to monetize their name/brand whatever but have some stipulations(just some ideas I came up with with drinking CR):

1. While monetizing your name/brand/product you're also using the collegiate name/brand as well. A fee should be then paid back to the college or university.

2. During the monetization period, you sign an agreement/contract to remain playing "x" sport for that college or university just as pro athletes do.

Really scary to see what could come of collegiate sports teams in the future should everyone hop on board.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Are you familiar with the words...Armature Sports?

A multi billion dollar industry is hardly amateur, are you being serious? 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, fla331boy said:

Make everyone happy.

Pay the athletes or allow them to monetize their name/brand whatever but have some stipulations(just some ideas I came up with with drinking CR):

1. While monetizing your name/brand/product you're also using the collegiate name/brand as well. A fee should be then paid back to the college or university.

2. During the monetization period, you sign an agreement/contract to remain playing "x" sport for that college or university just as pro athletes do.

Really scary to see what could come of collegiate sports teams in the future should everyone hop on board.

I was thinking along the lines that you were by keeping the player assigned to the same team and not allowed to transfer unless the coach leaves .  Keep scholarships in tact the way you limit the number of kids on the team .  Spread the wealth across the whole team based on ticket sales . 

Lets say every ticket is set at 50.00 no matter where you sit. If the team wins then the ticket remain the same for the next. If the lose, it drops to 40, etc until the lowest ticket price of 5.00. So this eliminates a star athlete getting more than the third string working as hard as everyone thus preserving the team focus.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

If anything else this law has done is put a bee under the blanket for the discussion.

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Just a couple of observations.

Thought I read somewhere on my phone that the Calif law forbids the NCAA from prohibiting the Calif teams from participating in NCAA tournaments.  That sounds like at least one part of the law that should be winnable in a court case by the NCAA.  They'll probably challenge the whole thing.

As far as getting paid for their likenesses, what would prevent big money donors at 'bama, etc. from producing plastic cups or posters or whatever and paying each player gigantic sums for their likeness?  This isn't a good thing. Pay every player the same.  This just sounds like it is ripe for abuse - even more than we have now.

you don't think this happens now?

college football is just as corrupt as college basketball

2 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

I’m sure FCS programs still sell jerseys. Now they can recruit FL kids with something like “imagine your jersey with your name inside of our bookstore for sale and proceeds go to your pocket.” I’d imagine that’s a pretty good selling point to a good high school ball player facing financial difficulties.

Meanwhile, we’re stuck advertising Ray Jay. 🙄

even if fans lined up to buy D2 players jerseys there are only so many spots in california. there are only 36 scholarships per team and most times they are split.