• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

California Governor signs law ; pay for play.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Days Won:  7

Just now, BDYZR said:

Precisely the answer I expected. The guy that's born a step faster, maybe a little more agile, maybe a little better eyesight, etc. "earns" the right. 

We're going to disagree, so I'm done with the discussion.

Fine. I don't see it your way, you don't have to see it my way. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

Paying athletes would probably end any discussion of an OCS since there wouldn't be USF football.  If it is a matter of them getting paid for their likeness in computer football games or T-shirts or Advertising that would be okay. Start paying a salary and we wouldn't be able to compete.  Alabama, Texas and the other rich schools would have 200 kids on a roster being paid so that they won't be playing somewhere else against them.  The limiting of Scholarships years ago was to help prevent that.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Days Won:  19

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I think I understand the California model but other student-athlete pay models are being discussed.  So many questions. 

If states adopt different compensation models, or no compensation models, how will this be handled?  Will federal or nationwide regulation be required? Will there be a competitive balance element included or is that now entirely gone?

If other compensation models prevail, from what pool of money will payments come from and to what student athletes will it be distributed?  Will student fees continue to be included in budgets?  How, if any way, will media revenues be treated?

How does this get factored into scholarships and cost of attendance?  What will be the tax consequences of payments?  How will all this be handled in areas that tax athletes and performers who participate in events held in their areas?

How will this affect recent developments on whether student athletes are employees?  How will that in turn affect the way injuries in the game/workplace will be treated?  Will there be a mandatory insurance or worker's comp model?

Etc., etc.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, MikePhillips said:

They should 100% pay college athletes

A "college degree" is a joke. 99% of the "college degrees" athletes get are a joke, 99% of the degrees that people get from USF are a joke. I have three of them, I know more than anyone

College athletes are ADULTS, they are over 18, they are participating in a "product", the "product" makes huge amounts of money, and they 100% should be paid. 

Look at the list of the degrees USF offers... maybe a dozen of them, actually map to anything going on in the real world. And most college athletes, aren't exactly taking Engineering classes, or Accounting classes, or in the college of Medicine. They have to "short cut" their college education to make time for the athletics

Read this list of nonsense-

https://usfweb.usf.edu/academics/undergraduate-majors.aspx

Interdisciplinary Social Sciences? General Studies? Marketing (my degree btw)?

Pay them... pay them what's fair and pay them for what they bring to the university as a product. "They get a free edgur-curtion" is just nonsense

I agree pay them, and then have them pay for the salaries of the coaches and staff who coach,  train,  and mentor them.

So, are you saying your life is a flop because you chose a nonsensical major to earn a degree in?

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,742
  • Days Won:  17

4 hours ago, MikePhillips said:

, 99% of the degrees that people get from USF are a joke. I have three of them, I know more than anyone

I have one of those joke degrees from USF as well.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

I have one of those joke degrees from USF as well.

Why would someone spend the time and money on a degree that doesn't help them in their chosen field? Doesn't sound like the smartest investment in time and/or money.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  682
  • Days Won:  2

I did not read all of the posts in this thread, so I apologize if I rehash anything that has already been said. But this is completely stupid in my opinion and is another example of the liberal, overreaching government policies that have turned California into one big homeless encampment. First of all, this law will get challenged and will probably get overturned. Secondly, if it doesn't get overturned, right now CA is the only state with such law. The other states would have to pass similar laws before you would see much impact nationally. 

Thought #1: I worked my *** off to pay my way through college and still ended up $80k+ in student loan debt when I graduated. According to "the College Board", the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2017–2018 school year was $34,740 at private colleges, $9,970 for state residents at public colleges, and $25,620 for out-of-state residents attending public universities. For argument's sake we will say on average, tuition is $17,795 per year. Housing costs anywhere from $8k to $10k on top of that. When you factor in food, transportation, parking, books, etc., it can cost a total of $18k to $25k, if not more, per year to attend college. So right off the bat, these "athletes" are already being compensated in the form of tuition, special tutoring, housing, food, entertainment, books, parking, in some cases transportation, free clothing and gear, free gym memberships, and the list could go on. There is no need to pay these kids. I would have given anything to have the life of a college athlete and be debt free right now. 

Thought #2: USF can't even afford to fire their head coach, you think they are in a position to start paying their players? I already feel that college football is top heavy because the likes of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. get the best recruits because they have a history of producing NFL level athletes and a history of winning. Allowing these schools that have WAAAYYYYYY more money than smaller P5 schools and all G5 schools to pay their student athletes will only widen this gap, because they can pay more. This bill, if allowed to stand, will be the end of college sports. 

Thought #3: NFL Players have their fair share of problems, but you think that these 18-22 year old kids who mostly are living on their own for the first time who suddenly came into all of this money will be able to stay out of trouble? They can barely stay out of trouble as it is. I guarantee the arrest rate among college athletes would skyrocket in the first year of them being paid. 

Thought #4: These schools are publicly funded, which means that you, me, and all of the other tax payers in the state get to foot the bill for these athletes. Idk about you, but I barely want to pay for a ticket to see another USF game this season, I definitely don't want to pay the players to embarrass themselves. 

TLDR: This Bill sucks

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,250
  • Days Won:  1

This bill will kill the Olympic sports as the schools will have to pay both the coaches and players so most will cancel non basketball and non football sports. Also the players would now be considered employees which means they could be terminated for bad play. Under current rules they can’t take away a scholarship because the player sucks but if they are played the schools would be able to fire them for poor performance 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

11 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

This bill will kill the Olympic sports as the schools will have to pay both the coaches and players so most will cancel non basketball and non football sports. Also the players would now be considered employees which means they could be terminated for bad play. Under current rules they can’t take away a scholarship because the player sucks but if they are played the schools would be able to fire them for poor performance 

Excellent point! 

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,742
  • Days Won:  17

51 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Why would someone spend the time and money on a degree that doesn't help them in their chosen field? Doesn't sound like the smartest investment in time and/or money.

Young and dumb, and influenced by a Public Education system, that said you where a failure unless you where working towards any kind of four year degree.  After 10 years of dead end jobs, I got a couple Computer Technical/Vocational Certifications and now make twice what I made plugging along with my BS in International Studies.  Should have avoided the 4 year university all together and saved my parents a ton of money.

• Upvote 1