• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What they're saying about the USF vs. FSU matchup

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Our screens and sweeps won't work as well against FSU and I really hope that they aren't a key stone of the game plan. 

I must say however we have used a very boring play book so far. I expect to see a lot of plays from the offense and defense we haven't seen before. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

I think some people are expecting us to all of a sudden play smashmouth, 4-3 aggressive defense. Taggart isn't lying when he says repeatedly, in college football now, teams are going to get yards. It's about keeping them out of the Endzone. It's very clear our philosophy is to limit big plays (thus base nickel) and contain the QB in the pocket (mush rush by DE) while trying to move him off the spot with an interior push. The one thing I'm worried about is tackling. We have been average at best tackling thus far. 

11 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Our screens and sweeps won't work as well against FSU and I really hope that they aren't a key stone of the game plan. 

I must say however we have used a very boring play book so far. I expect to see a lot of plays from the offense and defense we haven't seen before. 

The thing is, when set up properly, they will. When you watch it on film, almost every screen also has a pulling guard to for the Run Pass Option. This leaves WF one on one with the Safety of they over adjust. On the jet sweep, that will set up the PA pass off of it this week. At first glance it looks like we are just out taltenting teams, but in reality, it's the scheme that's making it work. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

10 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

We have been average at best tackling thus far. 

Major concern. Where's LeJiste when we need him?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Look at UL vs Syracuse...The Cuse made it a 14 point game with UL start of the 4th quarter we had a 15 point lead after that terrible first quarter.

We had a 34 point lead start of 4th quarter vs NIU...San Diego State had a 7 point lead...and NIU didn't have starting QB we played due to that injury in our game.  

Same with Towson they were a decent team but they lost the transfer from Oregon to injury in our game and it's hurt them.

All of this and with Flowers not clicking 100%. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Our sweeps and screens will work, they just need to be employed at the right time.  I trust our coaches to know when those times are.  

• Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

43 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Marlon Mack has 18 caries in 3 weeks. I don't understand why everyone feels like our offense won't work this way long term. You have 2 homerun threats in the backfield in Mack and Flowers. I would absolutely love it if FSU plays their safeties deep to avoid getting beat by the deep ball. If they do that, MM and QF are going to run all over the place on them.

How do you stop the read option when both guys can kill you? I guess you bring your linebackers in, but, if they miss, it's a big gain. If they bite and it's a sweep or WR screen, they have one less defender on the edges. If we are effective moving the ball on the ground, the safeties have to come up for support and that is when QF can beat you over the top. It's the design of the offense, not just a fluke that this is generally open.

I guess if our OL absolutely gets man-handled, this offense can be stagnant, but, I don't care who you are, if your OL plays poorly, you are not going to move the ball. I just think our offense is so multi-dimensional that you really can't stop everything. Especially if QF hits some of those seam passes to Dillion or a couple of the slants like he did with Adams against Cuse.

Overall, I think we see a very heavy dose of Mack and Flowers running the ball with some WR screens and deep shots mixed in. Fully anticipate a wheel route to DJ as well.

This.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

2 hours ago, raptorcj said:

That's a good number, hope we hold them there. But I honestly think we could let em score over 30 and we still walk away with it.

Oh, and corrected my quote (geesh).

If we allow 30+ my confidence in a USF win begins to drop dramatically with each point allowed. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Color me surprised by Atterbury's poise so far on the offensive line.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

6 hours ago, NAM37 said:

The "competition" we've been "destroying" is NOTHING like FSU.

Louisville would disagree

• Upvote 2