• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers VS Woulard 2016

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just silly to down-vote that statement, there's no vitriol or sarcasm in it. Absolutely the best player should start, period (unless you happen to be the coach's son).

I'm sure the down vote was because "I don't see how QB is different."  It's hard to argue with someone who either truly doesn't believe QB is the most important position on the team, or is too disingenuous to admit it in a discussion in order to prove a point.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  146

first-- I don't think any job on the team is a given. Players have to show the coaches they are the best option week in and week out. So by no means does Flowers own the position. He certainly has an enormous resume backing him up but in the end, the coaches will decide who works best to get a win. It will not only be practice that determines this-- each will display their talents in the Spring game, the early part of the season against the FCS teams etc. Personally-- I would defer to what the coaches think as they evaluate this - it is their job after all.

Second - While I would doubt that AW is going to take over the position, he needs to be a team player and ready to assume the role at any point in time. Having a capable/exceptional backup at all positions is the goal-- it is all about depth. He needs to have an attitude of team first and do whatever it takes to help the team out be it at QB or scout QB or some other aspect of offense or defense.

Third - We simply cannot let either of these two athletes waste away on the bench. So both AW or Flowers will need to be prepare to contribute in other positions as well as QB. There have been several occasions where we had two good players at the same position but only one can start. Short of the clusterfork of a two QB system (god please NOOOO!) -- my guess is both of these guys will do some WR or some other position (even defense-- who knows) work so they see the field consistently. This is not unheard of and while AW has all the accolades of a QB prodigy-- he is above all else an athlete. USF has a history of doing this - most college teams do.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

I read/heard the same thing in one of the articles posted here. It's not imagined, just can't place which one--there have been too many of late!

They were talking on the TV broadcast during Cincy game about how QF called CWT while he was on the golf course and said he was going to transfer out if he wasn't going to start this year. CWT talked him into coming back.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

No, he wouldn't.  If he were to lose the starting job, it would likely be after the season has started.  That means he's only have one year left.

hmmm, good point, I guess he is stuck with us either way!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

They were talking on the TV broadcast during Cincy game about how QF called CWT while he was on the golf course and said he was going to transfer out if he wasn't going to start this year. CWT talked him into coming back.

Thanks, it sucks getting older...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I'm sure the down vote was because "I don't see how QB is different."  It's hard to argue with someone who either truly doesn't believe QB is the most important position on the team, or is too disingenuous to admit it in a discussion in order to prove a point.  

C'mon, GA, you're above this. (no, I didn't down-vote you)

In context, QB has to be treated like any other position in terms of competing it. Nothing to do with the position's importance, which I doubt he'd debate.

You alright, man?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

C'mon, GA, you're above this. (no, I didn't down-vote you)

In context, QB has to be treated like any other position in terms of competing it. Nothing to do with the position's importance, which I doubt he'd debate.

You alright, man?

Thanks for asking, I'm completely fine, and I'm not above really any discussion that's taken place on here.  

There's more to QBing than running plays.  Consider these two posts:

I believe our record and potentially his QBR speak for itself. Every college quarterback misses passes. We have a true dual threat quarterback now that the announcers love to praise on national T.V. He's the leader of this football team and bar an horrific downward spiral, I can't see anyone arguing why he should be replaced AND repositioned. 

And then BDYZR's response to this:

Be VERY VERY careful when you start screwing around with this. I know that reports on AW are that he says the right things this year, under these circumstances. And I don't want to imply that it would be different next year. Just don't mess with the chemistry of this offense.

Also said on here a long time ago - 'it's not about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmies and Joes.'  That speaks to the points TromBull and BDYZR made above.  You have to be careful messing with what appears to be the leader of this team, and it would be a HUGE deal to replace QF next year based solely on practice alone (which is all you will have to go on for AW, as opposed to real game experience that QF has miles and miles of, comparatively).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Third - We simply cannot let either of these two athletes waste away on the bench. So both AW or Flowers will need to be prepare to contribute in other positions as well as QB. There have been several occasions where we had two good players at the same position but only one can start. Short of the clusterfork of a two QB system (god please NOOOO!) -- my guess is both of these guys will do some WR or some other position (even defense-- who knows) work so they see the field consistently. This is not unheard of and while AW has all the accolades of a QB prodigy-- he is above all else an athlete. USF has a history of doing this - most college teams do.

I really disagree with this. A big part of USF's struggles - both historically and recently - can be attributed to lack of talented depth at the QB position. If you decide you've got two guys you can win with, but one just edges out the other, you don't move the other guy to WR unless he's 1) got no chance to ever play QB again; or 2) a truly transcendent athlete. As athletic as these guys are, I don't think either falls into those categories.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I really disagree with this. A big part of USF's struggles - both historically and recently - can be attributed to lack of talented depth at the QB position. If you decide you've got two guys you can win with, but one just edges out the other, you don't move the other guy to WR unless he's 1) got no chance to ever play QB again; or 2) a truly transcendent athlete. As athletic as these guys are, I don't think either falls into those categories.

Like how Evan Landi looked pretty much as good as BJD their sophomore year, but was moved, then BJD went down and we didn't really have a viable backup that could run a similar offense?

Never happens, wouldn't worry about planning for that.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

Landi is lighting it up in the German Football League though. Just a fyi/btw type thing. He's a good guy.