• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

Flowers VS Woulard 2016

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Getting a bit ahead of myself, but something I have been thinking about. 

Flowers has far exceeded my expectations in his making this offense better this year. Most of his success has been on the ground either keeping plays alive or on bombs. However, take away the touch passes and bubble screens his completion % is still pretty poor and his inaccuracy, especially on the long throws to open receivers, means he has still left a ton of points on the ground. Even vs Temple his misses to open receivers left at another 14 off the board. 

Assuming that Woulard is at least as mobile as Bench and his accuracy is as good as they say, would you sacrifice say 40 to 50 yards of Flowers' running yards per game for another 75 to 100 (or more) passing yards of Woulard?

If Woulard is as good as we hope, that will be a very tough decision. What do you do with Flowers. Kid is definitely a dynamic runner. Put him in the slot?  Still use him on those jet sweeps? Imagine him in open space on the bubble screens. Or even coming out of the backfield on some of those inverted wishbone options

A more accurate downfield passer would open up the running game even more. 

Depending on how good Woulard really is, Taggart and the coaches could have a really tough dilemma to deal with. Flowers deserves the first look and to come in as the starter, but i still think he is leaving a lot on the ground unless the receiver is wide open. 

It is a good problem to have. I guess it just depends on how good Woulard truly is. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  7,736
  • Days Won:  23

Flowers is a baller. You can tell he loves to compete and has complete confidence in himself. Those are tough qualities to find regardless of your skill set.He doesn't let his mistakes spiral into ruining the rest of his game. He moves past them and keeps taking chances. I haven't seen him hang his head yet.

Not sure why Woulard was ever put on a pedestal. They had almost identical numbers in high school. He was a converted wide receiver who had 14 passing TDs and 10 picks his junior year. 13 Td passes as a senior. He will make a capable backup and they can bring him in as a receiver at times for trick plays. Flowers has way more real game experience and has proven this year that he is more than just a capable college QB.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  826
  • Days Won:  6

I believe our record and potentially his QBR speak for itself. Every college quarterback misses passes. We have a true dual threat quarterback now that the announcers love to praise on national T.V. He's the leader of this football team and bar an horrific downward spiral, I can't see anyone arguing why he should be replaced AND repositioned. 

• Upvote 4

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,628
  • Content Count:  36,345
  • Days Won:  27

Happens all the time.

Flowers is the starter and Woulard is the "assumed" backup.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,110
  • Days Won:  2

Flowers reads the defense well and does not commit many turnovers. 

It should be Flowers job to lose. He has played well enough to earn that

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Flowers reads the defense well and does not commit many turnovers. 

It should be Flowers job to lose. He has played well enough to earn that

Agreed.  

However, it is nice to be able to have this discussion in the first instance.  We have two players who will be competing against each other for the leader of the pack in 2016.  A very good problem to have.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,977

Flowers is a baller. You can tell he loves to compete and has complete confidence in himself. Those are tough qualities to find regardless of your skill set.He doesn't let his mistakes spiral into ruining the rest of his game. He moves past them and keeps taking chances. I haven't seen him hang his head yet.

Not sure why Woulard was ever put on a pedestal. They had almost identical numbers in high school. He was a converted wide receiver who had 14 passing TDs and 10 picks his junior year. 13 Td passes as a senior. He will make a capable backup and they can bring him in as a receiver at times for trick plays. Flowers has way more real game experience and has proven this year that he is more than just a capable college QB.

I agree with this.   

Flowers is also a leader and makes good decisions with the ball and knows the offense. 

They should compete and I expect he will get some snaps if he is really good.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,977

^^^^^^ this sums it up perfectly. 

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  14,833
  • Days Won:  21

How many years of eligibility do they have left?  Flowers is a JR next year, but I thought I remember AW's situation ending where he had 3 years of eligibility left starting next year.  Does AW get an extra year?