• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10675532/south-florida-bulls-kill-coaching-deal-steve-masiello-lying-resume

Seems like it was just a verbal offer.  Then he gave permission to the search firm/USF to obtain his school records as the final piece before the contract was signed.  I don't think they could have obtained his transcript if he didn't grant permission.

Funny how Pitino and Jurich are both shocked about this.

With all the people ******** and complaining about how USF botched this, I don't see where they botched any of it.  Plain and simple, if the job is required by state law to have a degree you need a degree.  You can't just become a truck driver if you don't have a driver's license.  Same difference.  Degree may not be required from a competence level, but if it is required by law, you need it.  Lying about it will only go so far.  

I'm sure they are why wouldn't they be?  Sure they didn't do a background either but, if a kid you have known all your life tells you he graduated you probably just believe him.  

No, UofL HR was/is lax!

Yeah so was your search firm. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10675532/south-florida-bulls-kill-coaching-deal-steve-masiello-lying-resume

Seems like it was just a verbal offer.  Then he gave permission to the search firm/USF to obtain his school records as the final piece before the contract was signed.  I don't think they could have obtained his transcript if he didn't grant permission.

With all the people ******** and complaining about how USF botched this, I don't see where they botched any of it.  Plain and simple, if the job is required by state law to have a degree you need a degree.  You can't just become a truck driver if you don't have a driver's license.  Same difference.  Degree may not be required from a competence level, but if it is required by law, you need it.  Lying about it will only go so far.  

I'm sure they are why wouldn't they be?  Sure they didn't do a background either but, if a kid you have known all your life tells you he graduated you probably just believe him.  

No, UofL HR was/is lax!

they caught it. how does that = lax?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,998
  • Days Won:  12

USF comes out of this looking great IMO. FIRST ones to do a simple BG check on this guy. They did everything the right way - BG after the offer, no official announcement (just a few leaks from MULTIPLE sources, not just Collin), etc.

It's not just me who thinks so, look at comments on reddit, etc.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

No, UofL HR was/is lax!

Not necessarily, RedBird. The search firm was the entity that actually caught the discrepancy. I'm thinking contract information was prematurely leaked by Masiello's camp and/or someone in USF athletics before USF was ready to finalize, subject to the background check. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I agree with this -- I'm not going to fault Pitino here. If someone you're that close to tells you that he graduated, then you believe him.

Albeit unlikely, there's even a chance that Masiello did something dumb like obtained enough credits, but never applied to graduate and this caught him off guard, which, of course, opens another can of worms in the realm of decision making ability. Either way, it doesn't look great for Masiello, which sucks for him. I just don't think you can fault Pitino for this one.

I read the ESPN article that says he immediately called the UK registrar's office, which makes me believe the situation is probably something like the above. But you'd have to wonder why the guy didn't think it was funny that he never actually received a diploma to hang in his office. Fishy, I like our decision even if he simply made a bone-headed assumption.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

How does a WALK ON not have a degree. That is so perplexing.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  14

SportsCenter currently is about to talk about it (11:40AM).  It's two stories away on their list of stories on the left hand side.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I agree with this -- I'm not going to fault Pitino here. If someone you're that close to tells you that he graduated, then you believe him.

Albeit unlikely, there's even a chance that Masiello did something dumb like obtained enough credits, but never applied to graduate and this caught him off guard, which, of course, opens another can of worms in the realm of decision making ability. Either way, it doesn't look great for Masiello, which sucks for him. I just don't think you can fault Pitino for this one.

I read the ESPN article that says he immediately called the UK registrar's office, which makes me believe the situation is probably something like the above. But you'd have to wonder why the guy didn't think it was funny that he never actually received a diploma to hang in his office. Fishy, I like our decision even if he simply made a bone-headed assumption.

Can't we just hire him as an assistant and sign him up for summer classes? Promote him to head coach in about 5 months.

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471

Overall I just think it's funny people on here would blame Pitino or Louisville.  Pitino has know the kid his whole life why would he expect him to lie about graduating?  He wouldn't. That kid is Pitino's boy so that non back ground check would have happened anywhere I put money on that.  Lax sure but, surprised not one bit.  I heard nothing but great things about the kid from everyone I know.  Awesome coach,hard worker, great recruiter etc.  Guess the kid messed up with the lying obviously.  The surprising part is Manhattan wouldn't do a full background check on their head coach.  I get Pitino backing a kid he knew since he was 8 and people seeing that is good but, a new coach at your school you would think they would do their due dilligence. In the end the stinky ;part I think is USF missed out out an awesome coach, really think he would have had things going down there.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Overall I just think it's funny people on here would blame Pitino or Louisville.  Pitino has know the kid his whole life why would he expect him to lie about graduating?  He wouldn't. That kid is Pitino's boy so that non back ground check would have happened anywhere I put money on that.  Lax sure but, surprised not one bit.  I heard nothing but great things about the kid from everyone I know.  Awesome coach,hard worker, great recruiter etc.  Guess the kid messed up with the lying obviously.  The surprising part is Manhattan wouldn't do a full background check on their head coach.  I get Pitino backing a kid he knew since he was 8 and people seeing that is good but, a new coach at your school you would think they would do their due dilligence. In the end the stinky ;part I think is USF missed out out an awesome coach, really think he would have had things going down there.

Redbird, I love ya, but you're making excuses now.  Pitino is shocked that he didn't graduate.  That tells me a few things:

Pitino and UL didn't do due diligence and paid good money to a guy they didn't even vet,

and/or

Pitino knew and didn't care

and/or

Masiello lies even to his closest "friends."  

No one really blames Pitino or Louisville for this situation, but USF sure looks a hell of a lot better than they do for being more thorough in the end. 

Edited by GaUSFBull