• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  334
  • Days Won:  0

USF basically had it's hands tied on this. I think they really wanted him just like we all did, but once you are presented with information like this, you HAVE to cut ties. Because if you don't, you are looking at a PR nightmare down the road when it comes out that you KNOWINGLY hired a couch you knew didn't graduated and lied on his resume.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

He lied on his resume so he gets the contract pulled. I get that. So on to the next one.

However I don't think a college degree is necessary to coach basketball.

I can agree with this in its entirety. 

Have to disagree with the neccesity of the degree.  It is a college and basketball is an extracurricular activity while one is attending college to earn a degree. If a coach has never earned a degree why would he/she encourage their athletes to finish theirs?  Barely any of our players make it to the NBA so their degree should be the most important goal while attending USF.  It is that same ideology of a business first prinicipal that hurts the kids.  They mentors/Role models first.  I get your logic but have to kindly disagree.

This kind of sums it up for me.

I'm very disappointed that he is not going to be our coach, but the message to the student athletes must be first, last, and always, "finish your degree"

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Bulls, USF had no choice.

Academia, especially a public university in Florida, is like working for the FBI -it's a government institution.

Something like not having a degree is a big no-no for these kinds of jobs. You can't get in the door for most full-time positions at Florida academic institutions without some sort of higher eduction, unless it's a service job. A head coaching job is not a service job...

Louisville and Manhattan missed it. USF caught it. That firm earned its money.

----------------------------------

But for me, this is like enduring five losses in a row in men's basketball or football in a few days' time. Man, we need some good news!

What a kick in the nads!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

Just lost the best thing that would've happened to USF basketball....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Couple of hidden gems in the avalanche of posts this morning and I'm guessing only a handful in here got Woolly's:

I would want to hire him more since I know he isn't a Wildcat alum.

As for the actual contract...

Steve turned over the piece of paper, and there, there on the

Other side, in the middle of the other side, away from everything else on

The other side, in parentheses, capital letters, quotated, read the

Following words:

("COACH,  HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?")

Steve went over to Mark and said, "Mark, you got a lot a **** gall to

Ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm

Sittin' here on the bench, I mean I'm sittin here on the Manhattan Jaspers bench

'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough coach USF, win twenty games a season,

, go to the NCAA tournament after signing this contract." Mark looked at Steve and

Said, "Coach, we don't like your kind, and we're gonna send your fingerprints

off to the NCAA investigating authorities."

You can get anything you want, at Fow-ler Avenue.  :FIREdevil:

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

No one has said it yet, so I will. According to Joey Johnson's article, if we offered him a contract, he signed it, and we fired him, we may owe him a buyout, maybe a couple million (I really hope not, but don't dismiss this until we know more).

Cosh, Holtz, Leavitt, Woolard, Heath, and maybe now Masiello ..... we can't keep paying people to not work for us.

Typically, these contracts aren't signed for several weeks or months. Agreement maybe?

If he signed a letter of agreement with USF (which acts like a contract, until the longer contract is signed) in good faith, and quit his job because of it (and suffered damages to his reputation), then USF canceled the contract (or letter of agreement), I would think he has standing to sue for the value of the contract. Unless it specifically spelled out the circumstances that would allow USF to void the deal without penalty, and USF simply followed the contract. 

Every person we hire has a contingency clause in their employment contract that says this offer is contingent on successfully passing a drug and background check.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Just lost the best thing that would've happened to USF basketball....

Nah, Auburn snatched him up ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Good points about the necessity of the degree.  I see the points.  However, he's there to coach a basketball team and to win.  I don't see any hypocrisy in a coach without a degree that encourages his players to go to class and get your degree, however, if an opportunity arises before you graduate, seize it. 

I see the other side of it too.

I am very curious, though, as to why Masiello didn't get a degree.  I really want to know why. 

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386

On 98.7 this morning, Jim talked to his source at USF and said that he believed that a degree is required to coach at any public university in Florida because of state law.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Integrity is the number one leadership tenet and the foundation of everything. 

For those of you who don't get this you may want to take a hard look at your life.

Go Bulls!

Where does condescension rank on that leadership tenet list? 

• Upvote 2