• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

I'm sure they are why wouldn't they be?  Sure they didn't do a background either but, if a kid you have known all your life tells you he graduated you probably just believe him.  

I agree with this -- I'm not going to fault Pitino here. If someone you're that close to tells you that he graduated, then you believe him.

Albeit unlikely, there's even a chance that Masiello did something dumb like obtained enough credits, but never applied to graduate and this caught him off guard, which, of course, opens another can of worms in the realm of decision making ability. Either way, it doesn't look great for Masiello, which sucks for him. I just don't think you can fault Pitino for this one.

Edited by Raetus

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

So theh want a Bachelors degree and 6 years experience

Bach and 8 years or Masters and  6.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I would like to see a copy of his resume

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

There is no excuse for this oversight by the Search Firm. The Search Firm should have caught this PRIOR to recommending Steve Masiello and having him actually sign a contract.

There was really no rush to hire Steve Masiello that could not have waited for the proper way to complete a hire. Now, there will probably be a lawsuit of some sort.

I must call into question the experience of the Search Firm for this screw up, and who actually hired Mark Harlan too.

can anyone just call up a school's registrar office and obtain anyone's records or does permission have to be granted by the individual?

No. If a school gives out info without a signed release, they're in violation of FERPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FERPA

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

A walk on should have all the right credits and grades. Your not letting a walk on slide like you would a Ron Mercer or a Russ Smith.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Sorry GA not following your comment to integrity?  It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.  Observation only.  I take integrity very seriously and question people who don't.  Again, its the foundation of everything. 

A degree is not need to coach, but if you put it on your resume and you'd don't have one it's a falsified document.  The guy lied and he got what he got.  Not a person I want involved with USF at any level.

Go Bulls!

I was just wondering where condescension ranked on that list, as you did such a great job at it on your previous post.  If condescension is high on the leadership tenet list, you are probably a fantastic leader. 

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386
  • Days Won:  0

There is no excuse for this oversight by the Search Firm. The Search Firm should have caught this PRIOR to recommending Steve Masiello and having him actually sign a contract.

There was really no rush to hire Steve Masiello that could not have waited for the proper way to complete a hire. Now, there will probably be a lawsuit of some sort.

I must call into question the experience of the Search Firm for this screw up, and who actually hired Mark Harlan too.

can anyone just call up a school's registrar office and obtain anyone's records or does permission have to be granted by the individual?

No. If a school gives out info without a signed release, they're in violation of FERPA.

Hmmmm... If that's the case I no longer think USF did anything wrong by not doing the background check before hand.

Moving on now..... That Mike White guy sounds like a good person to hire......

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

He lied on his resume so he gets the contract pulled. I get that. So on to the next one.

However I don't think a college degree is necessary to coach basketball.

Think again! At USFit is.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/human-resources/pdfs/class-comp/job-codes/9613.pdf

My point was not whether USF required one, I knew it did. Just it's a job where a degree is not necessary to perform the job at a high level.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Hmmmm... If that's the case I no longer think USF did anything wrong by not doing the background check before hand.

Moving on now..... That Mike White guy sounds like a good person to hire......

My own personal opinion is that if you put White and Masiello side-by-side in front of an AD or selection group, White comes out on top 95% of the time. Unfortunately La Tech is still playing in the NIT.  I think that our offer and negotiations would have been with Mike White instead of Steve Masiello if La Tech's season ended in their previous game.  That's just me thinking positive.

• Topic Count:  1,033
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Days Won:  10

I don't think anyone is questioning his abilities as a coach, which is why USF began the offer and negotiation stages.  Sometimes it takes awhile for records to be received that are requested as part of the background check.

I'm glad it was discovered at this stage and not after we had blown up all the balloons and had a press conference.