• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

@abcactionnews: RT @tkorunwfts: USF to hold news conference this afternoon to explain why background info on Masiello was not completed before signing

Oh, boy, this seems like it's something to cover the lawsuit: breach of (signed) contract.

Just lovely. Yay!

I doubt there was a signed agreement.  All of the stories I read said there was an "agreed contract."  I would guess that was only a verbal agreement, and that's not a legally binding contract.  

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

There is no excuse for this oversight by the Search Firm. The Search Firm should have caught this PRIOR to recommending Steve Masiello and having him actually sign a contract.

There was really no rush to hire Steve Masiello that could not have waited for the proper way to complete a hire. Now, there will probably be a lawsuit of some sort.

I must call into question the experience of the Search Firm for this screw up, and who actually hired Mark Harlan too.

can anyone just call up a school's registrar office and obtain anyone's records or does permission have to be granted by the individual?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

@abcactionnews: RT @tkorunwfts: USF to hold news conference this afternoon to explain why background info on Masiello was not completed before signing

Oh, boy, this seems like it's something to cover the lawsuit: breach of (signed) contract.

Just lovely. Yay!

I doubt there was a signed agreement.  All of the stories I read said there was an "agreed contract."  I would guess that was only a verbal agreement, and that's not a legally binding contract.  

I'm sure it was just an offer that was signed. like siging a sales contract on a house before doing the inspection.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

There is no excuse for this oversight by the Search Firm. The Search Firm should have caught this PRIOR to recommending Steve Masiello and having him actually sign a contract.

There was really no rush to hire Steve Masiello that could not have waited for the proper way to complete a hire. Now, there will probably be a lawsuit of some sort.

I must call into question the experience of the Search Firm for this screw up, and who actually hired Mark Harlan too.

can anyone just call up a school's registrar office and obtain anyone's records or does permission have to be granted by the individual?

This.

I don't think you can just run a background check on random people without their consent. So, how exactly would you confirm this before he was offered the job? My guess is that you would look at his resume, his bio at his current job, and, his bio at his previous job... all of which indicated that he graduated from UK with a communications degree.

I really don't understand our "fans" that go way out of their way to assume that USF completely botched this. Your loyalty should be to your school, not some guy that lied on his resume and was reported to be the new coach for all of 7 hours yesterday.

Edited by Orlando Bull

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

This.

I don't think you can just run a background check on random people without their consent. So, how exactly would you confirm this before he was offered the job? My guess is that you would look at his resume, his bio at his current job, and, his bio at his previous job... all of which indicated that he graduated from UK with a communications degree.

I really don't understand our "fans" that go way out of their way to assume that USF completely botched this. Your loyalty should be to your school, not some guy that lied on his resume and was reported to be the new coach for all of 7 hours yesterday.

+1

you can run a standard background check on information that is considered public. arrest records that aren't sealed, divorce, bakruptcy etc. not on sensitive information like health records, school, etc.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

This.

Orlando Bull - don't get in the way of their self loathing.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10675532/south-florida-bulls-kill-coaching-deal-steve-masiello-lying-resume

Seems like it was just a verbal offer.  Then he gave permission to the search firm/USF to obtain his school records as the final piece before the contract was signed.  I don't think they could have obtained his transcript if he didn't grant permission.

Funny how Pitino and Jurich are both shocked about this.

With all the people ******** and complaining about how USF botched this, I don't see where they botched any of it.  Plain and simple, if the job is required by state law to have a degree you need a degree.  You can't just become a truck driver if you don't have a driver's license.  Same difference.  Degree may not be required from a competence level, but if it is required by law, you need it.  Lying about it will only go so far.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

"If it's accurate, I'm shocked by it," Pitino said. "I had no idea. I left the previous year and he was on track to graduate."

Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich told ESPN.com that he was unaware that Masiello had not graduated from Kentucky.

"I knew (Coach) Rick (Pitino) was comfortable with him," Jurich said. "He played for Rick and Rick knew all about his background."

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10675532/south-florida-bulls-kill-coaching-deal-steve-masiello-lying-resume

Seems like it was just a verbal offer.  Then he gave permission to the search firm/USF to obtain his school records as the final piece before the contract was signed.  I don't think they could have obtained his transcript if he didn't grant permission.

Funny how Pitino and Jurich are both shocked about this.

With all the people ******** and complaining about how USF botched this, I don't see where they botched any of it.  Plain and simple, if the job is required by state law to have a degree you need a degree.  You can't just become a truck driver if you don't have a driver's license.  Same difference.  Degree may not be required from a competence level, but if it is required by law, you need it.  Lying about it will only go so far.  

I'm sure they are why wouldn't they be?  Sure they didn't do a background either but, if a kid you have known all your life tells you he graduated you probably just believe him.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He lied on his resume so he gets the contract pulled. I get that. So on to the next one.

However I don't think a college degree is necessary to coach basketball.

Think again! At USFit is.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/human-resources/pdfs/class-comp/job-codes/9613.pdf

So theh want a Bachelors degree and 6 years experience