• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Yeah, but Betty Castor did not have a PhD, and she became president of USF.  A lot of hay was made about her lack of a PhD, but she was a very effective president at USF.

Rules are made to be bent, especially something as pathetic as no degree.  He has the work experience that makes up for the lack of degree.  Besides, his job title was BB coach, not professor or teaching assistant.

So you consider rules to be obstacles that can be overcome if you really want to.  Got it.  I really hope that if I am ever personally near you, and I make you mad, that there are no sharp objects around. 

Rules = mild suggestions to some.  No excuse for the guy lying, but really, how bright is he?  If he KNOWS most programs require a degree, and he wants to be a big time coach, you find a way to get that degree ASAFP.  Those failures eventually come to roost, as he fully knows now.

Call that University of Phoenix online place and order him up a degree in sociology or something else easy.

That's actually funny...and could work, if Phoenix also had a time machine, and could undo the lie.

Not getting a degree is perplexing.  If nothing else, it shows he's got not got all his stuff in one sock.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  87
  • Days Won:  0

Jim Rome just talked about the situation.  Pretty much ripping Masiello for being an idiot and nothing bad said about USF.  Mentioned a few times that you can't get away with that sort of thing after O'Leary got caught.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Joey from the Times just put out USF's statement:

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Bulls

"During the search for a new men's basketball coach, an agreement in principle was reached by USF and Steve Masiello. The agreement was pending a verification of credentials. Through the verification process it was determined the candidate's credentials could not be substantiated and therefore he did not meet the requirements for the position. The national search continues and USF looks forward to introducing a new coach at the appropriate time."

Edited by Raetus

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26

Some of you internet-lawyer's understanding of contract law is atrocious. Stop it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10675532/south-florida-bulls-kill-coaching-deal-steve-masiello-lying-resume

Seems like it was just a verbal offer. Then he gave permission to the search firm/USF to obtain his school records as the final piece before the contract was signed. I don't think they could have obtained his transcript if he didn't grant permission.

Funny how Pitino and Jurich are both shocked about this.

With all the people ******** and complaining about how USF botched this, I don't see where they botched any of it. Plain and simple, if the job is required by state law to have a degree you need a degree. You can't just become a truck driver if you don't have a driver's license. Same difference. Degree may not be required from a competence level, but if it is required by law, you need it. Lying about it will only go so far.

The "Blame USF Campaign" started yesterday with some knuckleheads on twitter. A lot of people are losing their own credibility jumping to conclusions and making baseless allegations.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  14

I bet this will be a topic on today's Mike Francesa Show on Fox Sports 1 due to the Manhattan angle.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

Jim Rome just talked about the situation.  Pretty much ripping Masiello for being an idiot and nothing bad said about USF.  Mentioned a few times that you can't get away with that sort of thing after O'Leary got caught.

I had a bad feeling when this broke last night that we were going to look like a bunch of fools, and instead we actually come out looking pretty good.     It will be interesting to see what happened with Masiello's degree.   Missed by one class?   Never applied for graduation?  Not even close to graduation?  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Rome just eviscerated Masiello

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

It'll be too bad for the guy if it turns out to be a strange oversight on his part or UK's part. Seems everyone was standing by to either rip USF or rip him. We should all wait to find out what exactly happened here before jumping to the conclusion the guy is on O'Liar's level. He was confirmed to be at UK for 4 years or so, but it's just a weird situation and I'm glad USF bailed. I hope he's vindicated if it was an oversight, he's clearly a capable coach.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

Just listened to Brett being interviewed by Linda Cohn.  Brett didn't rip USF at all.  Said that it is quite normal to identify your top candidate and then do the full check.