• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, but Betty Castor did not have a PhD, and she became president of USF.  A lot of hay was made about her lack of a PhD, but she was a very effective president at USF.

Rules are made to be bent, especially something as pathetic as no degree.  He has the work experience that makes up for the lack of degree.  Besides, his job title was BB coach, not professor or teaching assistant.

So you consider rules to be obstacles that can be overcome if you really want to.  Got it.  I really hope that if I am ever personally near you, and I make you mad, that there are no sharp objects around. 

I do not know where you are going with this, and you really need to evaluate who crapped in your Fruit Loops this morning.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

And who knows what the hold up is for him getting that degree. Maybe he completed all his course work. Schools do some silly things to not confer those pieces of paper.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

In my field, we have hired people who did not have a degree.  If they had the work experience and portfolio to prove they could do the job, then we did not care if they had a degree.  10 to 20 years of slinging computer code is more than enough to make up for a lack of degree.

Now lying about it?  That is a "red flag", but I would still not care about.  Now if he said he beat Louisville in the 2014 NCAA tournament, then I would question him, since that is lying about accomplishments on the job.

I think we all acknowledge he would probably be an effective coach. 

I am a code slinger too and if you are hiring people that you catch lying on their resume I hope you don't put them in sensitive areas for your organization.  You know, like giving them admin access, access to your code and passwords and such. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

No one has said it yet, so I will. According to Joey Johnson's article, if we offered him a contract, he signed it, and we fired him, we may owe him a buyout, maybe a couple million (I really hope not, but don't dismiss this until we know more).

Cosh, Holtz, Leavitt, Woolard, Heath, and maybe now Masiello ..... we can't keep paying people to not work for us.

Further reason that this guy better have a hidden identity or have killed someone. Not sure how you offer that much money before you get a background check on the guy.

Unless they are complete morons the language in the document stated the entire contract was contingent in a clear background check.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462

It will be gone from the news as of NCAA Bball time tomorrow. Poor form by the retained search firm, really poor form. The firm made USF look very bad needlessly. USF did the right thing to kill the deal, but it may not be over...or accepted by the Coach...I am sure his lawyer is getting things revved up. Usually retained firms get most of the $ up front, so I am sure that next candidate will be a freebee....if they continue to use that firm, which I would not. I actually thought it was  GREAT hire. very strange. 

Maybe he had a resume issue..... OK, that was funny....I don't care who you are.

Called that one evidently. Amazing....that this would be an issue....on so many fronts.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Yeah, but Betty Castor did not have a PhD, and she became president of USF.  A lot of hay was made about her lack of a PhD, but she was a very effective president at USF.

Rules are made to be bent, especially something as pathetic as no degree.  He has the work experience that makes up for the lack of degree.  Besides, his job title was BB coach, not professor or teaching assistant.

So you consider rules to be obstacles that can be overcome if you really want to.  Got it.  I really hope that if I am ever personally near you, and I make you mad, that there are no sharp objects around. 

I do not know where you are going with this, and you really need to evaluate who crapped in your Fruit Loops this morning.

No one crapped in my fruit loops.  I'm just baffled at your above statement and resorted to hyperbole seeing how easily it seems you are willing to bend rules that apparently USF treats as pretty damned important.  Important enough to nix the hiring of a highly sought-after coach. 

If I was your boss, I would watch you like a hawk. 

Edited by GaUSFBull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

In my field, we have hired people who did not have a degree. If they had the work experience and portfolio to prove they could do the job, then we did not care if they had a degree. 10 to 20 years of slinging computer code is more than enough to make up for a lack of degree.

Now lying about it? That is a "red flag", but I would still not care about. Now if he said he beat Louisville in the 2014 NCAA tournament, then I would question him, since that is lying about accomplishments on the job.

But were they retained after finding out they lied about their degrees and were they in a high profile, high level position in a public company or institution?

The lying part is the bigger issue.

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

I would want to hire him more since I know he isn't a Wildcat alum.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

And who knows what the hold up is for him getting that degree. Maybe he completed all his course work. Schools do some silly things to not confer those pieces of paper.

Maybe he just didn't complete his classes.  Maybe he didn't go to class.  Just a spiffball, but I'm sure it's very far out of the realm of possibility. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115

Did she lie and say she had a PhD?

I never said she lied about that, but you have to be old enough to know what was going on back then.  There were university elders (old fart professors) who did not like that she did not have a PhD, and they complained that it was a defacto standard for a university president to have a PhD.  They also did not like that they had a PhD, but their boss did not.

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU?

You are not getting that in one case the person lied and in the other it was a defacto requirement and a open discussion took place where she was awarded the position.

In the former case there is an integrity issue that cannot be overlooked by a university.  It would be like hiring an embessler as a bank teller. 

If university hires someone who lies about getting a degree what does it say about their ultimate product?

Edited by mark_my_words