• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

So what if he didn't graduate. If the guy can coach, who cares if he's lacking a degree? A degree doesn't make or break a person's character.

Well if he lied about it it is a problem. I just don't see it as such a big problem that we can't hire the guy unless is a legal requirement for the job.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I love how Brett McMurphy always gets the scoop!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

It is a big deal.  I've been through background checks and when they find a discrepancy, they always call the candidate and ask for clarification.  For example:  UK says you didn't graduate but you say here that you did.  Can you explain?  This is where you can say, oh yeah, that's a mistake...

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Not to verge into the Mad Cow political area, but GW Bush did have a DUI and that did not prevent him from becoming President.  His effectiveness as President is debatable, but that is not the point I am trying to make. 

Are USF's standards that high?  How about getting graduation rates up first before declaring yourself the "Harvard of the South"

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487

So what if he didn't graduate. If the guy can coach, who cares if he's lacking a degree? A degree doesn't make or break a person's character.

Well if he lied about it it is a problem. I just don't see it as such a big problem that we can't hire the guy unless is a legal requirement for the job.

What people fail to realize is that USF is an academic institution. 1) Academic dishonesty is a big deal and they can't hire someone who lied about their credentials, and 2) having a degree is a requirement for a head coach

This is from 2007, but you can see the minimum qualifications: http://usfweb2.usf.edu/human-resources/pdfs/class-comp/job-codes/9613.pdf

Edited by DC

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

So in 14 years, he never found the time to finish the degree? Knowing that it would likely be a requirement if he wants to move to a major program? "Oh, well. If it ever comes up, I'll just lie about it."

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

So its oleary part 2. I guess Judy thinks we are notre dame. Just resign already you old hag.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386

Not to verge into the Mad Cow political area, but GW Bush did have a DUI and that did not prevent him from becoming President. His effectiveness as President is debatable, but that is not the point I am trying to make.

Are USF's standards that high? How about getting graduation rates up first before declaring yourself the "Harvard of the South"

USF requires a degree to be a coach. If he doesn't meet the minimum requirements, he cannot be hired. The same thing happened when Chucky Atkins was trying to be an assistant coach for the men's basketball team.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

Not to verge into the Mad Cow political area, but GW Bush did have a DUI and that did not prevent him from becoming President.  His effectiveness as President is debatable, but that is not the point I am trying to make. 

Are USF's standards that high?  How about getting graduation rates up first before declaring yourself the "Harvard of the South"

Its a big deal IMO.  Its a university afterall and he lied about graduating.  I am not surprised we backed off and we were justified in doing so.

Everyone who was bashing the program and saying it made us look back needs to chill a little.  This is a valid reason to walk away that nobody will blame us for.  We are not the ones who lied.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

This makes USF look silly, was my first thought.  But if Lville & Manhattan didn't verify, I'm sure USF didn't even think it had to check that aspect (i.e. should be a given).  But, perhaps in the rush to lock in this coach before others did, they overlooked the basic aspects, and when they discovered it, they were SO far down the path that disaster couldn't be averted.

Notre Dame didn't catch O'Leary early, and others have gotten away with resume' lies for a while.  But this one is gonna sting for a while.  Hope we wind up with a good coach, or we risk losing players and fans.