• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

No one has said it yet, so I will. According to Joey Johnson's article, if we offered him a contract, he signed it, and we fired him, we may owe him a buyout, maybe a couple million (I really hope not, but don't dismiss this until we know more). 

Cosh, Holtz, Leavitt, Woolard, Heath, and maybe now Masiello ..... we can't keep paying people to not work for us. 

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No one has said it yet, so I will. According to Joey Johnson's article, if we offered him a contract, he signed it, and we fired him, we may owe him a buyout, maybe a couple million (I really hope not, but don't dismiss this until we know more).

Cosh, Holtz, Leavitt, Woolard, Heath, and maybe now Masiello ..... we can't keep paying people to not work for us.

Typically, these contracts aren't signed for several weeks or months. Agreement maybe?

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Further reason that this guy better have a hidden identity or have killed someone. Not sure how you offer that much money before you get a background check on the guy.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Oh yes, for icing on the cake, we basically just spit in Chris Sullivan's face

Typically, these contracts aren't signed for several weeks or months. Agreement maybe?

If he signed a letter of agreement with USF (which acts like a contract, until the longer contract is signed) in good faith, and quit his job because of it (and suffered damages to his reputation), then USF canceled the contract (or letter of agreement), I would think he has standing to sue for the value of the contract. Unless it specifically spelled out the circumstances that would allow USF to void the deal without penalty, and USF simply followed the contract. 

By the way, search firms screw USF again. Remember Corey Johnson? A background check should be done on any candidate presented to the school before the candidate is even present to the school. They cost under $100 (for a deep thorough one, a basic one can be had for much less). 

I would ask for the $160,000 back. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

If USF was faced to cancel a contract because they were not able to comply through no fault of their own, they would have a defense to breach of contract based on impossibility, which would allow them to rescind the contract without recourse. So if whatever they found was so egregious that it would prevent them from hiring him in this capacity, they would be fine. If not, he might have a valid argument. Either way, you can sue anyone for anything regardless of right or wrong.

This is, of course, barring any actual legal language that makes the agreement contingent on the results of a background check which if Best Buy has figured out for employment contracts, you'd have to hope the big wig search firm would have been tipped off to the existence of this caveat at some point.

If USF was faced to cancel a contract because they were not able to comply through no fault of their own, they would have a defense to breach of contract based on impossibility, which would allow them to rescind the contract without recourse. So if whatever they found was so egregious that it would prevent them from hiring him in this capacity, they would be fine. If not, he might have a valid argument. Either way, you can sue anyone for anything regardless of right or wrong.

This is, of course, barring any actual legal language that makes the agreement contingent on the results of a background check which if Best Buy has figured out for employment contracts, you'd have to hope the big wig search firm would have been tipped off to the existence of this caveat at some point.

I agree completely. 

I also think Jim Leavitt's contract gave USF the right to fire him with cause and not pay him. $2 million later we started the chain of paying people to not work for us. 

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Oh yes, for icing on the cake, we basically just spit in Chris Sullivan's face

If the coach is a crud, Sullivan may be man enough to apologize (at least privately) for supporting his candidacy.

I bet the red flags are mote substantial than we are guessing right now.

we need deadspin to get on the case

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

It will be gone from the news as of NCAA Bball time tomorrow. Poor form by the retained search firm, really poor form. The firm made USF look very bad needlessly. USF did the right thing to kill the deal, but it may not be over...or accepted by the Coach...I am sure his lawyer is getting things revved up. Usually retained firms get most of the $ up front, so I am sure that next candidate will be a freebee....if they continue to use that firm, which I would not. I actually thought it was  GREAT hire. very strange. 

Maybe he had a resume issue..... OK, that was funny....I don't care who you are.

Edited by footnfan1