• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt Factor....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

23 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Leavitt=No Conference Championships.   No Conference Championships= Same old song and dance.  There is a reason that Leavitt has not been hired as a head coach in the last ten years;  Its because he is not very good.

Probably has way more to do with the trumped up charges we levied against him than with his coaching. CwT road far less success to Oregon and FSU.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, USFRaider said:

It all depends on how you measure success.  If you measure success by conference championships, then he was a failure.  If you measure success, by good but not great seasons, head-scratching losses, mid-season swoons, and mid-level bowl games, then he was a rousing success. 

I have said it a thousand times, but one day a coach is going to come in here and win conference championships and New Years Day Bowl games and make everyone forget about Jim Leavitt.  USF has yet to ever employ a great coach.  Hopefully Michael Kelly brings that guy in with this coaching search.

One or two good seasons from a coach and boom - Scott Frost/Willie Taggart. Gone. Would like some stability and someone who won't use us. That will care and want to build it. Only one guy.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

6 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Wishful thinking on your part.  Leavitt has proven in no way, shape, or form that he has the head coaching chops to lead USF to a conference championship.

Yeah, not winning the Big East in the first 10-12 years of your program's existence is proof enough.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,345
  • Days Won:  43

Just now, puc86 said:

Probably has way more to do with the trumped up charges we levied against him than with his coaching. CwT road far less success to Oregon and FSU.

I agree. CJL beat many top 25 teams and had bowl wins. Went 4-0 against UCF while CWT went 2-2 with no top 25 wins and no bowl game wins

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,855
  • Days Won:  67

1 minute ago, MSBulls said:

One or two good seasons from a coach and boom - Scott Frost/Willie Taggart. Gone. Would like some stability and someone who won't use us. That will care and want to build it. Only one guy.

Yes however you cannot go home again.  Ship has sailed, we will always be a stepping stone, just hope the next guy buys us out and not the reverse.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Yeah, not winning the Big East in the first 10-12 years of your program's existence is proof enough.

And doing it with no facilities nonetheless 😂

Guys a hell of a coach

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

OK...we will wait for your suggestion for the hire. You think there are ace top flight prospects that are beating down our doors? There are loads of guys that are going to bring us conference championships?

bring in someone new and fresh.  Florida is a great place to coach, overflowing with speed and ace recruits. If ucf can bring in back to back young coordinators to bring them conference championships so can USF.  I have faith that Michael Kelly will bring in the man.  Retread Leavitt is just good for 8-5 seasons and trips to the Military bowl.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

Except you don't know about the interference.   It is hard to coach players without allegedly interfering with an alleged investigation.  Had any coach at any university been in any such investigation, the AD would have had balls enough to instruct the coach on what would be terminable offenses.  Woolard did not.  His puppet masters AND his envy of Leavitt gave him and Gonzalez the window to can him.   At the time, it made sense to them and few others.  We had no appreciation for what Leavitt did.  Some today still do not.  Pitiful.

I saw the "redacted" report, except the people who redacted the PDF file did not correctly redact it.   I was able to see names and who was involved.  There was clear interference to the level of witness tampering.  I probably have that PDF on a computer some where in my house.  Not even going to get into the details because Leavitt has his blind followers.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,634
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, MSBulls said:

That's just not going to happen.  We are stuck in a stepping stone world.  Any of the new young hot shots many of you want hired, will be gone after 2 years if they have any success whatsoever.  We have to go with a Taggart, Leavitt or Kiffin who have already had their P5 chances or we're just going to be caught in the 2-3 year cycle of young successful guys moving on.  Even Larry Scott would be swooped up by a P5 if he has 2  7 or 8 win seasons.  It's just today's reality.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I don't know who USFRaider is, but you are solely off the reservation, my fellow Bull. Were you following Bulls football when Leavitt was coach? The man is a legend and has been successful everywhere he has gone. He learned some valuable lessons during our mid-season slides regarding overworking the players and temporizing the effect of emotional volatility on 18-to-21 year-olds. He hit a hump there around the 2007-2008 era and realized what it would take to overcome and just didn't get the chance to capitalize on those lessons. He has now spent time in the NFL at San Francisco and several high-level P5 programs out west and has no doubt learned an awful lot from that experience. Hands down, without a doubt, the man would become our Bear Bryant. 

If my jump out of medicine and into business meets with remote success, I would aim my major donations someday at naming our future stadium's field Jim Leavitt field. A pipe dream for decades from now, but a dream which remains intact and within (extended) reach. 

You are nearly the only (highly vocal) negative voice in the conversation. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2