• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt Factor....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

If you like 8-5 seasons and no conference championships, then by all means, bring back Leavitt.  The goal this time around should be to aim higher.  I would rather have 10 and 11 win seasons and conference championships for a two-to-three season coach then a retread that will keep us in perpetual mediocrity.

He coached in CUSA with DII recruits and built that, Coached in the Big East With DII and CUSA recruits his first few seasons as well there. He made something with much less. We were competitive while moving up through the ranks quickly. Now we're stuck mid level where we should always have enough talent to beat our peers. It's way different this time around. Get him in. Let him do his thing. We'll win. My belief, I know you feel otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

8-5 in the Beast roughly translates to 20 win aac seasons. CJL had to punch up his entire career and still did better than every coach that came in and had the benefit of punching down.

Exactly. Much more, with much less. Just kept winning and building. No reason he can't excel with the conference stability (for now), and build us to B12 or whatever the heck worthy later on. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,738
  • Days Won:  3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Kush

Hmmmm...I may have misread, but it looks like he left ASU for Pitt, didn't dig it, voluntarily returned to ASU in '69.  Then this happened:

"The most dramatic charge was that Kush had punched Rutledge in the mouth after a bad punt in the October 28, 1978, game against the Washington Huskies. During the next few weeks, overzealous fans turned things ugly when the insurance office of Rutledge's father suffered a fire and the family's attorney received two death threats. On October 13, 1979, Kush was fired as head coach for interfering with the school's internal investigation into Rutledge's allegations. Athletic director Fred Miller cited Kush's alleged attempts to pressure players and coaches into keeping quiet. "

Did he get rehired at Arizona after '79? 'Cause I don't see him coaching there after '79.  Looks like he went to the pros. 

Edited by WoolyBully
final sentence

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  6

Leavitt=No Conference Championships.   No Conference Championships= Same old song and dance.  There is a reason that Leavitt has not been hired as a head coach in the last ten years;  Its because he is not very good.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If you believe this guy .....

.... you may want to Wiki just to cinfirm.

Please do.  I met Frank Kush after his termination and rehiring by same institution.  He could have only been brought back because of success and fan admiration.  Wiki it.  USF is young relatively, it doesn't kill you to admit your past administration was wrong.

The ASU fanbase is not only aligned around Kush, but multiplied by it.  They celebrate him.  This is a freaking no-brainer for a school like USF.  But then again no brains has plagued us.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,327
  • Days Won:  43

2 minutes ago, MSBulls said:

He coached in CUSA with DII recruits and built that, Coached in the Big East With DII and CUSA recruits his first few seasons as well there. He made something with much less. We were competitive while moving up through the ranks quickly. Now we're stuck mid level where we should always have enough talent to beat our peers. It's way different this time around. Get him in. Let him do his thing. We'll win. My belief, I know you feel otherwise. 

More importantly, CJL got a raw deal by USF. He never had the chance to go out on his own terms. I think USF owes him another opportunity to make things right. If he fails on the field so be it. I’m sure he would accept that a heck of lot better than the way USF fired him last time 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,738
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Please do.  I met Frank Kush after his termination and rehiring by same institution.

According to Wikipedia - the oracle of all oracles - it looks like his coaching career at ASU ended in '79 (firing) - and the next coaching entries are his time in the pros. It says ASU forfeited their wins in the '79 season under Kush. Was there a fire-n-rehire prior the the '79 season? 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

If you like 8-5 seasons and no conference championships, then by all means, bring back Leavitt.  The goal this time around should be to aim higher.  I would rather have 10 and 11 win seasons and conference championships for a two-to-three season coach then a retread that will keep us in perpetual mediocrity.

He built a program, made it nationally relevant and put guys in the NFL immediately.

I’ll admit, I was one of the people at the time that was starting to think that Leavitt took us as far as he could and maybe we needed someone else to get us to the next level....not unlike the Dungy/Gruden situation.

That said...hindsight is 20/20 and it was a mistake to get rid of him. Hands down.

He is a legend here and he’s accomplished a lot since he’s left. I believe he will be better than ever this time and he will assemble a top notch staff.

I don’t think there is another choice to make right now. If he will take the job it has to be his.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

Just now, SpeedBull said:

I’ll admit, I was one of the people at the time that was starting to think that Leavitt took us as far as he could and maybe we needed someone else to get us to the next level....not unlike the Dungy/Gruden situation.

Has Brad blocked you for admitting that?

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

Has Brad blocked you for admitting that?

LOL....not yet. Should I expect to be?