• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time To Audition King as OC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,467
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Bull Dozer said:

It's time to hand King the keys to the offense for this bowl game.  This is a perfect no risk audition to see how he handles calling plays and running offensive practices the next couple of weeks.    Let's do the **** thing. 

1 hour ago, BayIslandBull said:

Would he be able to change much in 2 weeks from what they have been doing for 2 years?

Would have to judge him by situational down and distance play calling.

Interesting that some people want to give CCS 3 years and then expect CSK to prove himself in 2 weeks. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,558
  • Days Won:  28

4 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Interesting that some people want to give CCS 3 years and then expect CSK to prove himself in 2 weeks. 

I say promote him now!

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

51 minutes ago, Brad said:

Is that a fair audition?

On a related note, is King experienced enough to be an OC?

I want a proven winner because I want us to be a proven winner.  

I love internal promotions, but it better be the best available candidate.

It's as fair a shot as it could be IMO.   I think of it as times when you own a company and internally interview a young candidate who is already with your company and has shown tons of promise but the next position they are in line for is a BIG step up.  Even if you don't hire that young candidate it's a great learning experience for them for what the role will truly be and just interviewing for it will help their career by knowing what is expected.   This is a great way to feel king out and let him dip his toes in the water as an OC without just throwing him in the deep end and seeing if he can swim.   

As for experience....   Yes he's short on coaching years but his NFL  years often gets lost in that shuffle by some.  QB's in the NFL are basically assistant OC's so those years are valuable as well.   You also have to remember that most OC's are the same kind of "inexperienced candidates" when they get their first job.   Scott Frost is a great example, he had only coached WR's for 3 years at Oregon before getting promoted to OC.  As a matter of fact he had never been a position coach on offense until his 3 year run coaching WR's at Oregon.   He was actually a defensive assistant before that.  

I would like to hand King the keys if he did well in a bowl game but I'm also not against interviewing all candidates.   My only hard "NO" is if CCS tried to make a nepotism hire/hire one of his buddies.  If not King I would like the hire to be from completely outside the program/CCS's list of "his guys".  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

You misunderstood.  I don't think a bowl game "audition" would be fair to CSK.

As for CCS, a leopard can't change his spots.  He has a track record of being detrimentally conservative.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,261
  • Days Won:  1

If any potential oc even mentions running a power offense they should be disqualified 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

56 minutes ago, Brad said:

Is that a fair audition?

On a related note, is King experienced enough to be an OC?

I want a proven winner because I want us to be a proven winner.  

I love internal promotions, but it better be the best available candidate.

I'm thinking the same. No way to tell exactly how King stacks up against other candidates since he's never held the position. Seems a tad risky. He may turn out to be great, but who knows with zero track record at the position...

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I really don't see this as an opportunity for us to be able to evaluate anything. But CCS could see how king operates in the building and on the practice field to see if he likes what he sees enough to roll the dice on a first time OC. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Bull Dozer said:

He can install some new stuff but not overhaul the offense.   Some those screens, outside runs etc that we used to see once every 2-4 games under Gilbert can get more burn.   The big difference will be HOW he calls the game and making us less predictable in and of itself should be a shot in the arm for the offense.  All of this of course is dependent on King being who some of us think he is. 

But we still have that offensive line...

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Just because you don't hire him this go around doesn't mean you can never hire him.  This a good chance for him to cut his teeth in some of the aspects he's yet to do as a coach (installing new plays/packages, play calling, managing tempo/game flow).    Give him the keys and see what happens.  The worst thing that happens is that he's not the fit and we hire somebody else.  Best case scenario the offense looks night and day different due to the change in play calling,  change in philosophy, the players being excited about the offense they're in, and you have found a great up and coming OC who is also an ace recruiter at a bit of a discount.  

• Upvote 1