• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time To Audition King as OC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

24 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Exactly. Pretty similar resume when Oregon decided to promote him from WR coach to OC.

Precisely why I've been bringing him up. "only" 5 years as a position coach, with two of those on the defensive side of the ball and he got the keys at Oregon and the rest is history.  Everyone is inexperienced at something until you give them a shot to do it.   Considering how some here talk about this I would figure they would love Gilbert's offense....  Safe, unimaginative, and with a "track record" .   Letting anybody else on this staff OC the bowl would be that typical safe and unimaginative USF move, which means we'll probably go that route, but it doesn't mean its the correct way.... 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  108

24 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Precisely why I've been bringing him up. "only" 5 years as a position coach, with two of those on the defensive side of the ball and he got the keys at Oregon and the rest is history.  Everyone is inexperienced at something until you give them a shot to do it.   Considering how some here talk about this I would figure they would love Gilbert's offense....  Safe, unimaginative, and with a "track record" .   Letting anybody else on this staff OC the bowl would be that typical safe and unimaginative USF move, which means we'll probably go that route, but it doesn't mean its the correct way.... 

But for every guy that works out there are probably 2 that don't.  The guy that just coached McNeese played there, was an assistant there and they made him head coach.  Gave him 3 years and he's gone.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

But for every guy that works out there are probably 2 that don't.  The guy that just coached McNeese played there, was an assistant there and they made him head coach.  Gave him 3 years and he's gone.  

That's an alarming estimate..... Until you realize that the majority of coaching hires, period,  don't work out..... 

People can neither succeed or fail if at first you don't give them an opportunity.... 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

19 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I'd bet the failure rate isn't much better or worse for those with experience. xCJL was never a head coach, until he was. xCSH was a successful head coach, until he wasn't.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  1

It would be in the teams best interest to bring in an experienced play caller. King does not have that experience that this team needs. Plus there are some players on that side of the ball that would rather it not be King.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

4 minutes ago, 7overlord said:

there are some players on that side of the ball that would rather it not be King.

Not sure how you know this, but I would be surprised if you could get all the players to agree on any OC

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I think you have to hand the reigns over to King at this point if you want to keep him in the fold. He's definitely a coach on the rise and a very good recruiter. He's put in the time. I think it's a no lose situation for USF. On the other hand CCS has a lot to lose and may not feel comfortable handing over the OC duties to somebody who doesn't have experience (as an OC) with his job on the line. If King does get passed over I wouldn't be surprised to see him get hired at FSU as their QB coach.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,077
  • Days Won:  39

1 hour ago, 7overlord said:

Plus there are some players on that side of the ball that would rather it not be King.

Scoop alert!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Makes sense. So it won't happen