• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time To Audition King as OC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

16 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

I totally agree. Look how many ex-qb's are around successfully coaching. SK has all the attributes, experience, knowledge, the players seem to love him..and yes, he likes a good burger too. I said before, CSS can bring in a new O position assistant who has experience that can assist as needed. 

So...lets get a show of hands on this--- Shawn King gets his live game shot at OC... All those in favor, Say Aye!

Aye

I would rather give SK at least one more year under an OC who actually uses the entire field of play for his Offense. Then I would be in full support of SK being OC. As of now, I think his training has been limited to plays between the hash marks.

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

41 minutes ago, BayIslandBull said:

Would he be able to change much in 2 weeks from what they have been doing for 2 years?

Would have to judge him by situational down and distance play calling.

Play calling and overall approach could change.  You're not getting a drastic change in overall philosophy

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Of the position coaches, he probably makes the best fit for the interim OC. Hope his philosophy is tailored to player strengths and mixed play calling, esp on 1st & 2nd downs. Give him a shot!

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Still wouldn't be surprised if CCS called his old OC at Louisville, Mike Sanford Sr to see if him and his son, Jr would want to come down as a package. 

Not saying the Fan base would like it but there is a connection there and they are currently available. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

I would rather give SK at least one more year under an OC who actually uses the entire field of play for his Offense. Then I would be in full support of SK being OC. As of now, I think his training has been limited to plays between the hash marks.

I don't think he suddenly forgot everything he learned in the NFL and everything he learned during the GCO era.   Between his playing and coaching career he's been around a diverse range of offenses.   He's spent more years in non-veer and shoot offenses than has in them.  

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,029
  • Days Won:  38

2 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

non-veer and shoot offenses

If veer and shoot is synonymous with run up the middle and destroy the fan base and program, then I like the non variety.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

57 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

It's time to hand King the keys to the offense for this bowl game.  This is a perfect no risk audition to see how he handles calling plays and running offensive practices the next couple of weeks.    Let's do the **** thing. 

Is that a fair audition?

On a related note, is King experienced enough to be an OC?

I want a proven winner because I want us to be a proven winner.  

I love internal promotions, but it better be the best available candidate.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

Is that a fair audition?

On a related note, is King experienced enough to be an OC?

I want a proven winner because I want us to be a proven winner.  

I love internal promotions, but it better be the best available candidate.

Brett Kean is the only proven winner in the program. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

Maaaaaan, forget about King auditioning. He has auditioned for the past 3 years. Promote that man now!!!! I know many aren’t sure about Shaun King, but every OC had to be moved up from a position coaching job. It’s a part of life. If we bring in another OC, we will definitely lose Shaun King. I feel he needs to be promoted now and he will eventually be CCS successor whether Strong retires here or gets fired (Which I don’t think he will). King has worked under Taggart and was there when Kinan helped reshaped Taggart’s offense.  QF had his best year with Shaun king as the QB coach.  Through the Gilbert Era, he help 3 players have 700 rushing yards or more last year (QF, Tice and DJ). This year Cronkrite had over 1000 yards and Ford had over 700 yards of rushing. He is also our top recruiter. This man loves Tampa with a passion and seems to want to be here. That means he more than likely will NOT bolt at the first opportunity to leave us for another job.    I mean after working with Taggart, Hope, Kinan, Weist and Gilbert, I am super confident that he has already created his own offense and has been waiting for this opportunity.  You see the screen shot, this man has 11 years of coaching experience. He has also worked as an analyst in the NFL.  There are many great OCs available, but to me, he is our best choice.

image.png.3ad1d4bb7b827dd72d4fe99fc83dbf1d.png

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

16 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Brett Kean is the only proven winner in the program. 

I think we all now realize that if BK hadn't been suspended the first 4 games this year, the starting job was his and we'd be the ones making reservations for Tempe ...