• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Slow-up on the CCS hate

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just now, JTrue said:

I know no one wants to hear this, but our penalties are down from last year and have been trending down this season as it's progressed. Special teams are still a **** show.

We're averaging 8.13 penalties per game which is good for 112th nationally.  Yes, we're better than last season but we finished the season ranked 130th a averaging 9.6 penalties per game so literally there was no where to go but up......  While yes, technically we're "improving" we went from dead last to not last but still absolutely terrible....  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

We're averaging 8.13 penalties per game which is good for 112th nationally.  Yes, we're better than last season but we finished the season ranked 130th a averaging 9.6 penalties per game so literally there was no where to go but up......  While yes, technically we're "improving" we went from dead last to not last but still absolutely terrible....  

At his current pace, CCS will have us the least penalized team in the nation by 2022.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  541
  • Days Won:  0

I have been a huge Gilbert critic as I am sick of so many 1st down run up the middle and 3rd down stops after running it up the middle, No imagination and taking so much out of the playbook.  I can't remember the last time we have run a jet sweep or even wide with a run. Nothing to running backs like screens or wheel routes but we do have a lot of big plays from that running up the middle. (how many times have we said there he goes again up the Fing mid... wow TD? ) .  Against Houston we started 2 Freshman on the l O Line, played a freshmen running back tons, our best playmakers (Wilcox,St. Felix and Mccants) were out and we still put up great offensive numbers.

I need to swallow my pride some and give Gilbert some credit.

I am most concerned about our defense (I know we have some youngins playing)  Strong is supposed to be a defensive guy,  we have gotten worse as the year has gone on.  Why are we so weak at the LB position?  That's on the Strong for not recruiting well or not seeing the need.  I thought our DB's were top notch (again some youngsters there)  but they looked lost, we are 8 games in and our D is just lost on 3rd downs.   I think we will always be a competitive team with Strong and on years that other conference teams are down, we may even get a conf. championship but we will never be truly great with Strong unless we get a Teddy Bridgewater type talent.      The question to myself and the rest of you, are you OK with that?

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Agree with some of that but yes, I was thrilled to be 7-0 because I’m more a bottom line type of guy and not into the over analyzing of how we had gotten there and wringing my hands about 4 and 5 games down the line. I like the one game at a time approach. 

Fully understand some of the critiquing of certain aspects of our play but also believe there’s some serious overreacting going on. In the end, I know that these things are what drives message boards but there are times it gets beyond ridiculous and some of that nonsense is embarrassing to me as a fan. 

Fair enough. There is plenty to critique IMO, but yes, calling for Strong to be fired at this point, for example, is certainly overreacting.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, 370Bull said:

I see your point and understand where you're coming from. I completely agree. If we fail our objective of a conference championship this year and fail to be competitive against tough opponents then ccs should be in the hot seat come next year. I do NOT believe he should be fired after this year regardless of the outcome for the end of this season.

However, perhaps our perception of the original post was different. My original response was once again in the long term point of view rather than just this season. Given our schedule and talent I absolutely believe that our USF football program should be ranked in the top 25 every single year. It might sound ridiculous to some but those are my thoughts on how athletic and talented our team is typically. 

And man am I praying that we don't drop any more for the rest of the season. It would be amazing to fight on black Friday for a spot in the ccg!

Agree, we should always be a top 25. But I can see the difficulty relative to our G5 status and the increase competition in getting Fla recruits. I personally feel Charlie will leave us before we ask him to leave but time will tell. Like you, I want the conference championship more than anything and then we can build on that. Not having one yet is a complete joke for the program.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Just watched the Houston post game presser. Greg Reaves said something along the lines of "We weren't ready to play". Charlie said something like, "We didn't play up to our potential". Is it my imagination, or  are one of these two things....or both...being said EVERY week?

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

20 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Just watched the Houston post game presser. Greg Reaves said something along the lines of "We weren't ready to play". Charlie said something like, "We didn't play up to our potential". Is it my imagination, or  are one of these two things....or both...being said EVERY week?

Unless we are suffering from the Mandela effect, it is not your imagination.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  66
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

Quoted posts #1 & 2, meet post #3. Again, while I have posted in this topic, I have not called for firing CCS. I stepped in to defend the idea that we could be doing better, and that I believe the quality of our own-field product has greater potential than has been realized. I added the idea that we should have greater hopes for the program than giving up 42 pts to UMass and going down to the wire with nearly winless teams. Keyboard warriors are adept at utilizing tangential interpretations. There is no delusion in believing our team could have been undefeated last year or this year with our athletes and our SOS (aside perhaps from the bowl game opponents such a regular season may bring). Clearly, you cannot in retrospect discount UCF fans who believed the same about their program last year, as an example. I equally detest the "NC or bust" crowds at bigger schools, but ultimately long for USF to be counted among those bigger schools. Period. Maximizing our potential is the point, and expression of disappointment with failure to do so is not delusional. The eagerness with which some on this message board have displayed to discount the idea is uninspired, and the straw man arguments may distract some but I find them undeterring. 

I agree CCS and/or certain staff are not the best coaches and could improve. Thats obvious and besides my point.

From a 10,000 ft view.... Iprefer results and Gladly take under acheiving 9-3 to 11-1 seasons every year for the foreseeable future. Seems like a great place to be considering probability of lesser alternatives/results. This kind of consistency can bring AAC championships and build the bull brand. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

9 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Maybe the athletics budget needs a line added for a shrink. 

I think the issues we are seeing with penalties and slow starts are ones that must be corrected the way the team practices. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

20 hours ago, BullTiger said:

The thing I don't get, is how does our defense get worse in Charlie Strong's second year.  

He was supposed to build the defense of old.  I think we are seeing Taggert's recruiting carry over on offense, and defense.  

Hopefully CCS is loading the defensive cupboard and keeping the weapons coming on offense.  I just can't wait for the day when we get an offense and a defense at the top of third game.   It seems we can't have both.

Next year is our best chance. Fingers crossed.

We did lose several key players to the draft or graduation.  And having Nico injured didn’t help.  Not saying they shouldn’t be better, but it’s a very different squad this year.

I’ve been impressed with the special teams improvement.  They’ve been light years ahead of last year, it seems.