• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip Holtz Knows....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

If you are providing the greatest amount of happiness to the greatest amount of bullspenners then I would say he would be quite pleased. 

Bentham would but Mill thought there was a qualitative component to happiness and things couldn’t be just pure hedonism. For Mill the better happiness would be me spending my time learning classical Piano or helping out people in a homeless shelter because that provides a longer lasting and higher quality good even if I think it would make me more happy to be engaged in acts of debauchery while worshiping Dionysus he would say I’m wrong.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

53 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Willie walking to his computer to check to see if there are any new job offers after two weeks at FAU:

excited music video GIF

Willie finally inherits a good team, gets his $17 mil from FSU, and has Jim Levitt as his DC. FAU has some decent P5 opponents coming up. Now is the time for Taggart to pad his win column stats as a coach, win a few conference titles and maybe a NY6 bowl game.  I give Taggart 4-5 years there minimum. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, BayIslandBull said:

The blame on Judy is due to the academic committee that could deny admittance to student athletes that were trying to enroll after signing loi's. This really hurt the basketball programs. I remember some of Stan Heath's biggest recruiting coups not being able to get in, but were eligible immediately at schools like Ohio state and uf. Every other school allows players in who meet lower entrance requirements than what the general student body needs, except usf at this time period. 

What I referred to about Skip Holtz was his choice to golf instead of attending the biggest recruiting event that the school hosted as one of his first actions after being hired. 

Riiiiiight. This is the one where he was asked to golf for charity instead of watching flag football.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

32 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Riiiiiight. This is the one where he was asked to golf for charity instead of watching flag football.

In context it wasn't just flag football it was one of the largest tournaments in the region and a big deal at the time. This was during the peak of the 7 on 7 circuit when the it was looked like it may become like AAU is to be basketball. This was one of the most talent heavy tournaments in the region and right on  our campus. Missing it was a big deal at the time 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

15 hours ago, chapelbull said:

My understanding was that he hated it here

I'm sure it was a rude awakening for him re: academic reqs at USF vs ECU and now LaTech. Be interesting to see what the future might hold for him if he takes another HC job somewhere in P5 ???   I think after a while in Tampa he may have concentrated more on his golf game and fishing.. Good for him and his current success.  

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Taggart to pad his win column stats as a coach, win a few conference titles and maybe a NY6 bowl game. 

Don't you mean a bowl game?  I don't think he's actually won any bowl game.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

14 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Don't you mean a bowl game?  I don't think he's actually won any bowl game.

Add that to the list of accomplishments that he can finally have at FAU 😎

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

12 hours ago, Triple B said:

Quick Google search had him mentioned concerning Arkansas, twice, and Missouri ......... but may have only been sniffs. As mentioned, though, he may just be good where he's at now for the time being ...

There is no denying he is really great where he is. Either for a variety of reasons it just didn't work here, academic standards and the Leavitt tanked APR, his coaching staff,talent he inherited or he's just at the level he can excel at. But I'm happy for his success there, it's been tremendous.

Edited by George_Bullnard_Shaw

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

10 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

This is exactly right. I remember after the 5-7 season, him saying that we were 5 plays away from being 10-2. If our defense was holding, and we were  tied or had the slightest lead, he'd go very vanilla on offense. He'd only open things up when he absolutely had to, hence all the close games. Also did that thing (on more than one occasion) where he'd be inside the opponent's 5 yard line, sit on timeouts, and  run 20+ seconds off the clock and settle for a FG before halftime. Incredibly frustrating. Had the entire stadium booing in a home game vs. Cincy for doing that. Recruiting restrictions were far from being  the only issues in his tenure here. Wouldn't want him back, but happy for him for the success he's had lately. Seems a nice enough guy.

Yes. Whether his game management was good from an objective viewpoint with the talent he had it isn't a game management that appeals to the fans here. We like killer mentality go for the throat no matter what. Last two years of Taggart and some of CJS ball. We loathe conservative play calling like Holtz, Sterling and Strong.

Edited by George_Bullnard_Shaw

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

10 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

This is exactly right. I remember after the 5-7 season, him saying that we were 5 plays away from being 10-2. If our defense was holding, and we were  tied or had the slightest lead, he'd go very vanilla on offense. He'd only open things up when he absolutely had to, hence all the close games. Also did that thing (on more than one occasion) where he'd be inside the opponent's 5 yard line, sit on timeouts, and  run 20+ seconds off the clock and settle for a FG before halftime. Incredibly frustrating. Had the entire stadium booing in a home game vs. Cincy for doing that. Recruiting restrictions were far from being  the only issues in his tenure here. Wouldn't want him back, but happy for him for the success he's had lately. Seems a nice enough guy.

God, I forgot about him saying that "ideally, he would like to win every game by 1 point".

I'm glad he's having success with LA Tech. Hope he stays there forever

• Haha 1