• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip Holtz Knows....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Based on what I saw of him here, it's hard to believe Skip has had the success he's had at ECU and La Tech. I thought he was bad all around (while here anyway).....recruiting, clock management, being overly conservative....not to mention the whole Vero Beach thing that seemed like a waste of $$$. I believe he was also responsible for delivering us Chris Cosh. He took over a program that was typically in the Top 25 at some point every season, and in three years managed to take us to a 3-9 record, and  had us losing to the likes of Temple (an embarrassment at the time), and Ball State, with no possibility of him turning that around it seemed. Thankfully we canned Skip when we did and got Willie in place. May have never seen Flowers, Mack, DJ, Adams etc had Harlan decided to keep Skip around another year.

As of 2018, the number of pro football players by school show that USF and La Tech had the same number - 10.  Having a hard time breaking it down by year graduated.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-09-11/colleges-most-represented-2018-nfl-rosters

Here's a fun site. You can search on draft picks by college.  From 2014 - 19 USF had 8 people drafted and La Tech had 10.  

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=S&collegeName=South+Florida&abbrFlag=0&type=school

So maybe the recruiting isn't all that horrible since he's recruiting into a lesser conference.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

13 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

As of 2018, the number of pro football players by school show that USF and La Tech had the same number - 10.  Having a hard time breaking it down by year graduated.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-09-11/colleges-most-represented-2018-nfl-rosters

Here's a fun site. You can search on draft picks by college.  From 2014 - 19 USF had 8 people drafted and La Tech had 10.  

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=S&collegeName=South+Florida&abbrFlag=0&type=school

So maybe the recruiting isn't all that horrible since he's recruiting into a lesser conference.

The most amazing part is almost our entire list is made up of CJL recruits. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

23 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The most amazing part is almost our entire list is made up of CJL recruits. 

I think what you were trying to say is, xCJL was the coach for 56% of our seasons and signed 63% of our NFL players. However, if you want to count guys who signed with xCSH after xCJL was fired, that number goes up a bit. Barrington and Webster signed with Holtz's first class in 2010.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

May have never seen Flowers, Mack, DJ, Adams etc had Harlan decided to keep Skip around another year.

:nope:

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I think what you were trying to say is, xCJL was the coach for 56% of our seasons and signed 63% of our NFL players. However, if you want to count guys who signed with xCSH after xCJL was fired, that number goes up a bit.

It looks a lot more like 71percent to me but who is counting?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, lotsofbull99 said:

We’re the High Priests of Leavittism. Here to usher in the new age of CJL. Make strait his paths!

Doesn't take 2 of you ...... You should draw straws.

Just now, puc86 said:

It looks a lot more like 71percent to me but who is counting?

I assumed you'd count Webster and Barrington, despite them signing after Holtz was hired.

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I assumed you'd count Webster and Barrington, despite them signing after Holtz was hired.

Did he not recruit them?

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Did he not recruit them?

I'm not sure. Considering they decided to play at USF without him, the school would appear to be the major recruiting tool. Maybe the academic department recruited them.

Edited by JTrue

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

I'm not sure. Considering they decided to play at USF without him, the school would appear to be the major recruiting tool.

And then amazingly it wasn’t, almost like cause and effect.