• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip Holtz Knows....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

6 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

So he decided not to recruit here but apparently is recruiting at La Tech and did at ECU, and all because of Judy?  Sorry Im having a hard time buying that.

Jonesy,  coach Skip was on record at some point,  after his firing as saying he was restricted to kids who could qualify academically, thus for the goal of preeminence . My goodness can this be ended now?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

56 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Yeah, I've actually been posting this on the State of Florida board, since I didn't want to get called out again for putting something in the wrong place.

But yes, Skippy has quietly has been successful at La Tech.  Good for him.  I had no idea that this was 6 bowl wins in a row for ole Skippy, quite incredible really.

He also did pretty well at ECU before coming here.  It makes you wonder why it didn't work for him here.  Maybe just wrong place at the wrong time, I don't know.

51 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

All about Judy. I promise you, Skip doesn’t have the recruiting restrictions at LaTech as he did here. All about preeminence with Judy. He was the one that got away.

42 minutes ago, slowdown said:

They were particularly tough on academics while he was here.   

40 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

My understanding was that he hated it here

5 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

So he decided not to recruit here but apparently is recruiting at La Tech and did at ECU, and all because of Judy?  Sorry Im having a hard time buying that.

The academic standards changed for Skip from Jim.  Have been hesitant to defend him because haters but there are current and former coaches here at USF that think it was a mistake to fire him.  As for hating it here?  No f'n way. He thought this was a long term project and he intended to stay here for the rest of his career.  His dad is near Orlando and the in-laws were south of here.  Has 2 houses on Anna Maria Island.  He wanted to be here. Whether he would have turned it around is all speculation but he's proven he can coach with the longest bowl winning streak in college football - at least until Wisconsin plays and they get a chance to tie him.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 minute ago, Bullrush33 said:

He is a mediocre coach and he is where he belongs. Low stress. Low reward.  He can golf with ease now.

I think he is a mediocre coach too.  He is pretty successful at La Tech.  So maybe he is slightly above average.  Just needs to probably stay at the level he is at which he seems pretty content with.  So good for him.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

after 6 bowl wins and a 10W season, one would think bigger programs would have eyes on him, unless he doesn't have IT

Guest Jonesy Bull
3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

The academic standards changed for Skip from Jim.  Have been hesitant to defend him because haters but there are current and former coaches here at USF that think it was a mistake to fire him.  As for hating it here?  No f'n way. He thought this was a long term project and he intended to stay here for the rest of his career.  His dad is near Orlando and the in-laws were south of here.  Has 2 houses on Anna Maria Island.  He wanted to be here. Whether he would have turned it around is all speculation but he's proven he can coach with the longest bowl winning streak in college football - at least until Wisconsin plays and they get a chance to tie him.  

You say the academic standards changed for him, and Im not doubting that.  But wasnt Willie up against the same standards?  Judy was still here and we werent pre-iminent yet.

For whatever reason, Skippy couldnt get it done here.  Much like CCS, each year got worse.  So Im not sure what giving him more time would have done.

Its interesting but Im done with this topic.  It is sooo in the past.  And we have a bright future to look forward to.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Good for Skip in beating Miami again. 

My view of him has improved some since Strong.  He atleast had some nice wins here. 

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Judyites are the source of all UEF athletic misery 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

18 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

You say the academic standards changed for him, and Im not doubting that.  But wasnt Willie up against the same standards?  Judy was still here and we werent pre-iminent yet.

For whatever reason, Skippy couldnt get it done here.  Much like CCS, each year got worse.  So Im not sure what giving him more time would have done.

Its interesting but Im done with this topic.  It is sooo in the past.  And we have a bright future to look forward to.

Actually not quite the same.  But since you're done I shouldn't have answered.  My apologies.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

27 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I'm sure he loved the area, but he wasn't happy coaching here.  Maybe "hated" is a little strong, but I know he told one fellow coach that he was lucky not to get the job here.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, BayIslandBull said:

but I'm sure glad we don't have to hear about how well we "competed" after every loss. 

The funny thing is that I was happier hearing Skippy talk about competing, than Chuckles trotting out each week and spouting how unprepared the team was :facepalm: