• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart and losing culture.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

It would seem to me that most of you are arguing extreme sides of the same stone. Leavitt defined building a program, while Taggart was a flash in the pan. Although you can't deny that Taggart continually brought in better players year after year, while Strong and Holtz brought in worse players year after year. 

1. Leavitt 

2. Taggart

50. Strong and Holtz

For the record, I'd probably bet on Leavitt's late 2000's teams over Taggart's QF MM RA 3 headed monster with no defense hypothetical game. Not by a lot, but enough that this should be a unanimous pick. And let's stop calling Taggart a bad coach, because he isn't. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,252
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, bullsfan1983 said:

Wasn’t it 10-2? With the 10 wins over 

San Jose State

Stony Brook

Illinois (2-10)

Temple

East Carolina

Cincy (4-8)

Tulane

Uconn

Tulsa

Texas Tech (6-7)

Were we actually rebuilt or did we play a bunch of awful teams?

As long as you leave at the first sign of success and befor anyone gets to find out apparently you get to count it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,038
  • Days Won:  469

6 minutes ago, bullsfan1983 said:

Fair question my friend.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,252
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, WhoRUSF said:

It would seem to me that most of you are arguing extreme sides of the same stone. Leavitt defined building a program, while Taggart was a flash in the pan. Although you can't deny that Taggart continually brought in better players year after year, while Strong and Holtz brought in worse players year after year. 

1. Leavitt 

2. Taggart

50. Strong and Holtz

For the record, I'd probably bet on Leavitt's late 2000's teams over Taggart's QF MM RA 3 headed monster with no defense hypothetical game. Not by a lot, but enough that this should be a unanimous pick. And let's stop calling Taggart a bad coach, because he isn't. 

If you just took emotion and excuses I mean extenuating factors out of the argument what do you typically call a coach that has a sub .500 record, zero bowl victories and relinquished all coaching responsibilities and is about to be fired two seasons into their dream job?

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

so you don't think Flowers, Mack, Adams, etc could arguably be considered our best team ever? yeah he had a terrible season. happens when you come into a total rebuild. Just ask Frost about his 0-12 season at UCF

O'Leary went 0-12 I believe. Frost went 6-7 his first year, then unbeaten the following.

Flowers, Mack, Adams, DJ....I would say that was our best offense ever. Ran the right system to accommodate that group. If Tom Allen stuck around for one more year, we likely would have won the conference in 2016.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

you realize 8 of the 11 he got rid of were players Strong brought in, right? Including the 2 DL from Duke.

Strong is awful. Taggart built had arguably our best team  player ever

FIFY

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I don't disagree, but add that a great recruiter/good coach beats a great recruiter/not so good coach.  His recruiting rescued us from the edge.  A great recruiter can offset his lack of coaching experience, but only against less talented teams.  His greatest attribute is he knows when to get out of a situation.  At FSU, he may not have the leverage and choice he's had as he did at his stepping stone small schools.

Remember Bobby Bowden saying that the only difference between a good coach and a great coach is recruiting.↑

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

FSU had to reschedule a game against a 1-aa the year before to keep their streak alive. again a guy who has completely rebuilt 2 programs and is currently working on his 3rd in 9 years as a HC will not have a good overall record

How many USF coaches have manned up, said "I'm wrong" and completely changed philosophies, even to the extent of seeking outside help?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, bullsfan1983 said:

Wasn’t it 10-2? With the 10 wins over 

San Jose State

Stony Brook

Illinois (2-10)

Temple

East Carolina

Cincy (4-8)

Tulane

Uconn

Tulsa

Texas Tech (6-7)

funny how we call these teams awful when we have had trouble beating them on a consistent basis at anytime in our history.

not sure why people think we are a blue blood program

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Remember Bobby Bowden saying that the only difference between a good coach and a great coach is recruiting.↑

How many USF coaches have manned up, said "I'm wrong" and completely changed philosophies, even to the extent of seeking outside help?

that's what successful people do. admit when they are wrong and correct things

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,878
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, WhoRUSF said:

Although you can't deny that Taggart continually brought in better players year after year

I will deny it, his first full year of recruiting he brought in QF, Mack, D’Ernest J, Bronson, McCants, Deatrich, Dillon, Abraham, Jackson, Brown , Hector, Love etc...he also got Rodney and MVS as transfers, he really did not do much after this.  He rode these horses to a rich payday.  If he ever came back after FSU fires him he would have lost his shine and would not have near the success on the recruiting trail, basically a retread, need someone fresh like a Willie 2.0, good recruiter that has aspirations to move in to bigger and better things.